Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 96 1500 vulcan 31000 KM, i am aware of the POG , trying to get the steel gear kit , i am planning to open the clutch to service it , I will inspect the plastic gear at this time, I don't know how often the oil screen was cleaned , but when i cleaned it , found some plastic shavings in it .Any one out there find plastic shavings in there screen ? i know the screen is there to trap some things , how much is normal ? THANKS

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Plastic is not a good thing to find in there.... I would be concerned about the POG, though it could be from the timing chain guides.

At 500 miles and at 2500, I found gasket material (light fluffy, almost like cotton) and some silicone sealer... a few small slivers of steel.
At 4500 it was clean.

·
Super Moderator
10,838 Posts
Plastic is not a good thing to find in there.... I would be concerned about the POG, though it could be from the timing chain guides.

At 500 miles and at 2500, I found gasket material (light fluffy, almost like cotton) and some silicone sealer... a few small slivers of steel.
At 4500 it was clean.
+1. And bits of hard plastic, about 1/3 the size of a green pea. Although I did mine at 500, 1500 and 3000 miles. By 5000 it was gone.
Just bought a 96 1500 vulcan 31000 KM, i am aware of the POG , trying to get the steel gear kit , i am planning to open the clutch to service it , I will inspect the plastic gear at this time, I don't know how often the oil screen was cleaned , but when i cleaned it , found some plastic shavings in it .Any one out there find plastic shavings in there screen ? i know the screen is there to trap some things , how much is normal ? THANKS
I wonder if the previous owner cleaned it regularly or if the plastic has been in there forever? I think I'd run it for a while and check it again.

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
One black speck, 2 metal specks at 600, - I will do it again at 4000 and see what is there.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
this may be far fetched but what would happen if the little oil ring from a quart of oil (plastic quart) fell in the fill hole? I would think it would get smushed up in there

A buddy of mine did this to his saturn - i never did hear about the outcome

kenny

·
Black, Chrome, & Leather
108 Posts
On my first oil change, I found a bit of flotsam in the screen, no big deal, but when I took the oil filter off, a screw fell out into the drain pan. I fished it out and determined it is identical to the screw that holds my right side panel on. Doh!

·
Registered
388 Posts
At 600 I found some gasket sealer, a small strip arched in shape, about a half inch long, a few black specks. Nothing since and I am at 18K.

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
Rolling Thunder.... Take it to your dealer and tell them you are finding plastic in the screen. They will replace your POG free of charge. Kawasaki doesn't want failures anymore than you. We have found them to be very open to replacing the POG when asked.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No Free Fix

Checked with 2 local dealers USA and CANADA.. no free fix out there, quoted min 15 hrs to install gear through the case . One dealer said maybe has seen 10 go over the years (not bad odds ). I think i will TRY to get this famous JOG gear ,or make one simalar if i can't get one . Ride it until my saftey relay shuts it down ,

·
see ya Thursday
279 Posts
I got a 96 1500 classic with 9600 miles when i bought it I've never seen anything in my screen. I have 33000 on it now

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Checked with 2 local dealers USA and CANADA.. no free fix out there, quoted min 15 hrs to install gear through the case . One dealer said maybe has seen 10 go over the years (not bad odds ). I think i will TRY to get this famous JOG gear ,or make one simalar if i can't get one . Ride it until my saftey relay shuts it down ,
Push the issue... get the home office involved if needed. People have had their POG replaced for free within the last 6 months.

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
+1 with Rich on this one. A coworker took his in and they (Kelly's) agreed to replace the POG.... only to find out that it had already been replaced. Ask for the number for the regional service manager. He will help.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I just changed my oil tonight on a 2008 1500 Classic with 430 miles on it. The oil screen had bits of black grit that could have been metal flakes, I really didn't look too close, but I wouldn't say they were metal. There were some other bits that were honey colored and kind of stuck to the screen that I had to pick off with a the corner of a razor blade.

·
Super Moderator
10,838 Posts
I just changed my oil tonight on a 2008 1500 Classic with 430 miles on it. The oil screen had bits of black grit that could have been metal flakes, I really didn't look too close, but I wouldn't say they were metal. There were some other bits that were honey colored and kind of stuck to the screen that I had to pick off with a the corner of a razor blade.
I used aerosol brake parts cleaner to cleaner the screen. Works good, evaporates very fast. Just be sure to stand in the road when you use it. It kills anything organic.

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
I used aerosol brake parts cleaner to cleaner the screen. Works good, evaporates very fast. Just be sure to stand in the road when you use it. It kills anything organic.
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one screwing up the enviornment with that stuff:tongue:

·
Super Moderator
10,838 Posts
Rbentnail, I sprayed the screen with Honda contact brake cleaner. It's a solvantless degreaser. Works well.
I'll check it out. But I think I have 2 or 3 cans of the nasty stuff left.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts