Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'VE FOUND A BIKE FOR SALE BUT DO YOU THINK ITS WORTH TRVELING 150 MILES TO GET IT. IM NOT SURE OF THE CC. BUT THE PRICE IS $300 THIS IS THE E-MAIL I RECIEVE FOR THE BIKE----------- Its a project bike. Mechanically it is sound but it has been sitting for 8 years. It needs a new clutch cable, which I have and one of the exhaust mounting studs needs to be drilled out and replaced. I have a new 4-1 exhaust for it. Other than that, it was running until the clutch cable snapped and I put it in my basement, although that was 8 years ago. I bought it new in 1982 and it was my main ride until 1999 when I bought a Sportster, which is my current ride. You should plan on a carb rebuild. I'm sure it needs a new battery and I would check all of the wiring harness and connections out carefully before taking it on a long trip to make sure nothing has any corrosion.

With 25 years and 26K miles on it, its probably past time to lube the wheel bearings, swing arm, maybe change the fork oil etc. The chain, sprockets and tires all have low miles and as far as I know all of the bearings and seals are good, but I havent checked them since 20K and that was at least 15 years ago. On the plus side, this was a very reliable bike until I snapped the exhaust stud while trying to replace the exhaust. Lighter, smoother, warmed up faster, and got better mileage than the Sportster. When I put it in the basement I was planning on either getting it restored or trying to restore it myself, but I just havent been able to make it a priority and I need the space. I have a repair manual I can include.

·
jerkybear's Vulcan
418 Posts
If your handy with a wrench and the frames solid, should have no problems finding parts. Hopefully. Sounds like a deal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.