Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somebody please tell me so I can identify this taste in my mouth! Seriously want one, but funds do not allow at this time :( Upside is my GF's dad has a 97 1500 Classic with only 15k miles, fully dressed (if Cobra makes it, it's on the bike) that I should be able to get for a little over $3k. 3500 at the most. Pictures coming soon! (why am I so turned on by hardbags?)

But seriously I am having problems finding information about the possible transmission shifting issue with the 4 speed. Either I'm not working the search correctly or there is no info. Can someone please point me in the right direction, I believe I read it's something to do with second gear.

Attachment is not the bike I'm getting, but very similar.

Later,
K

Attachments

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Some say it resembles the taste of bugs, because you can't stop smiling. :D

I have heard of many and personally know of at least one case of the dreaded Plastic Oil Pump Gear (POG) showing its ugly head with maintenance costs. I believe that Kaw changed to a steel gear in 2000 (someone help me out on this one).

·
97 Vulcan Classic 1500
7 Posts
97 definitely has the POG.. Just replaced mine with Judge's SOG. I've had no issues with the 4sp. tranny and I rarely shift to fourth unless on the highway. The gears are spaced well.

So far as the Nomad thing, it can definitely be done, take a look a mine :) with time and $$.

-Tim

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got one!

I'm jazzed! Bought the 97 last night. Bike is in awesome shape. I was mistaken about the accessories he's bolted on, they are all Kaw parts and not cobra. Vance and Hines pipes too. Pictures to come this weekend, the ones I took last night did not turn out. New clutch installed last year. Needs a rear tire but other than that is ready to ride. Red, black and chrome :). Ohhhh, shiny :D

thanks to everyone here, love this forum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.