Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 vn800a7 vulcan Im trying to find out what frames in the kawasaki lineup could I use for a custom build? I'm planning on a ground up build.

·
Super Moderator
1,371 Posts
How much welding and cutting are you prepared to do? Perhaps you could explain why the current frame won't work for your build.

·
Super Moderator
10,850 Posts
Anything will work with enough $$$ and a BFH thrown at it.

Reactions: WFO-KZ

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much welding and cutting are you prepared to do? Perhaps you could explain why the current frame won't work for your build.
Well if I **** up the spare in the process mostly,I dont won't to screw up the original. Its been 20 years since I last did a build and want to play with ideas on a second bike before I commit.

·
Super Moderator
1,371 Posts
The Japanese motorcycle manufacturers pretty much design each frame for each specific motorcycle. When they do this, they don't give you a lot of spare room to simply drop another engine into a frame that was meant for a different engine.

Some of the problems you are likely to run into are:

Engine mounting holes will not line up with the holes in the frame.
Engine is physically too tall to fit inside the frame space.
The drive sprocket may not line up with the rear wheel sprocket.

The above issues almost guarantee you will be cutting and welding to make the engine fit.
And for that reason, you are unlikely to find anyone who can answer your original question which was:
"what frames in the kawasaki lineup could I use for a custom build". To get an answer to this question you would have to find someone else who has done this with an 01 VN700A7 like yours and I think that person would be very hard to find.

Not that your concept cannot be done, but if you proceed you should be prepared for a heck of a lot of work. It would be easier to leave the frame/engine alone and concentrate on customizing things like tank, seat, fenders, handlebars, side covers, headers and top it off with a custom paint job.

However if you are determined to proceed, I would start by taking as many measurements on your engine and frame as possible. Then go around and measure your potential frame donor bikes and see which one is the closest. Best of luck JPMUNGUS and regardless of which way you go, keep us posted with pictures if possible.

·
Super Moderator
10,850 Posts
I concur with my friend above- if I were kinda new to the rebuild world I'd start with a frame that the engine fits in to eliminate that hassle up front. Total transformations and amazing results can be achieved elsewhere. And as you progress you then can maybe move into the custom frame type work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts