Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats everone using i read where using super can cause carbon buildup is this true,i have 2000 on my 900 and have used super since i purchased it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good question

I'd like to know too...I just purchased a Custom, and the dealer told me 91 octane...I'm in California, so I don't know if that changes things. <threadjack> Oh, new here, hi everyone! <end threadjack>

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine is a 2006, I have been running super in her from new. Have had no problems and I just past 10,000 miles. She is running great!

·
Recycled Rider
583 Posts
The MOM is confusing so I ran super the first year with no problems.
Then, on a long trip, I used all three octanes.
I got my best mpg on regular.
Didn't ping in the Ozark or Kiamichi Mts either.

·
900 Custom Owner
46 Posts
87 is the correct grade. It is a little confusing in the manual which makes it look like it might be 91 but with how octane is computed in the US (I believe it is universal across the states), 87 cuts the mustard.

From what I read, going with a higher octane fuel than needed can actually corrode the engine so at least use the minimum octane which does not cause your engine to ping.

·
Vulcan 800 Classic
292 Posts
The manual state 91 and even the dealer says 91.... but we've found on the 900 that it runs better with less popping with the aftermarket exhaust with 87.......

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
The manual state 91 and even the dealer says 91....
Dealers are often misinformed or ignorant at best, and maliciously BSing at worst.

What exactly does the manual for the 900 say? The 1600 Classic calls for RESEARCH octane of 95, but (Research+Motor)/2 = or greater than 90.
Runs great on 87.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
The proper fuel is the cheap stuff 87 octane rating.
This is how I read MOM. Nuthin' but the cheap stuff in mine with some SF every 4th tank or so. over 15k, no issues.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
What exactly does the manual for the 900 say?
MOM page 34:

"Fuel Requirement:
Fuel type
Use clean, fresh unleaded gasoline with a minimum Antiknock Index of 90.
The Antiknock index is posted on service station pumps. The octane rating of a gasoline is a measure of its resistance to detonation or 'knocking'. The Antiknock index is an average of the Research Octane Number (RON) and the Motor Octane Number (MON) as shown in the table."

Octane Rating Method: Minimum Rating:
Antiknock 87
Index
Research Octane 91
Number (RON)

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Yup.... manual says 87... dealer recommending 91 owns stock in the oil companies :biggrin:

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
It is unlikely that you have any buildup in just 2000 miles. Old myths die hard, stop worrying and get out there and ride.

·
Fat Bottomed Girl
15,029 Posts
Just run it on what the owner's manual recommends. They design engines (cars, motorcycles, snowmobiles, etc) to run on a specific octane. So use what it was designed for.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
You can, but there are no real benefits, other than the gasoline manufacturers making more money off of you. "
True, but honestly, there's only $0.10 to $0.20 difference between grades.
That's a buck on an empty tank from 87 to 91.

That was a big difference when gas was $0.75/gallon... $3.75 vs $4.75, but today, it's a very small percentage of the cost to fill the tank. Sams Club/Wal Mart stations in SoCal don't even offer 89... just 87 and 91.

·
Organ Donor
219 Posts
I run the mid and cheap stuff, swear the bike runs smoother than with premium.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts