Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any idea what sort of Gauge/type of wire I should use if I were to rewire my '80 KZ440? Also, since I'll probably only need a few meters of each colour of wire, anyone know of a place where I can buy it by the meter or foot or something? Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Most of the wire is probably #18 stranded, but I counted 14 colors on my wiring diagram, half of which were with a tracer, such as black/yellow. Generally only solid colors are readily available. Wire is usually sold in 100 foot or 1000 foot reels, though 25 foot reels may be found for a much higher cost per foot. Don't forget you will also need lots of bullet connectors and several maybe unobtainable modular connectors.
If it were me, I'd look for a good used harness on eBay. There were at least two in the last week or so.

Good luck

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
+1

Any time you buy wire "by the foot" the price per foot is 2-4 times as high as the per foot cost buying by the reel. If you sit down and figure up the cost of the wire, connectors an anything else you will need I think you will find it cost prohibitive vs. the value of the bike. A used harness is definitely the way to go. Even if you get a slightly damaged harness and have to repair 1-2 runs.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
I don't know about the 440's wiring but the schematic for my bike list 36 different color/tracer combinations. Even if you estimated only needing 20 of the linked rolls of colored wiring, that + shipping would be around $125.00. Add to that a couple of these kits. Probably a CK3 and CK4 for another $175.00
OEM-Type Bullet & Spade Electrical Connectors for 1960's to 1980's Japanese Vehicles... Bridgestone, Datsun, Hodaka, Honda, Kawasaki, Landcruiser, Suzuki, Tohatsu, VW, & Yamaha

That's already $300.00 + the misc stuff like harness wrap and any connectors not in the kits. It all adds up pretty quick and I think the 300 is a very conservative estimate.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm... Well perhaps I'll have to re-think my strategy... I suppose once I get the bike all stripped down and can see the condition of the wiring harness I'll decide if its worthwhile to just repair it with a few new wires or if I should just replace the whole thing. I did see a few listed on ebay, but there werent many good pictures of the condition on the wire. I'll look into it further when I get the harness off my bike. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
11,328 Posts

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
I'd suggest for heavier current circuits(30 amps) at least 12 gauge wire.
For most others,16 and 18 gauge will work although some turn signal wiring can be as small as 20 gauge.

American Wire Gauge(AWG) works backwards in sizing, that is 20 gauge is many times small in diameter than say, 8 gauge.

I'm not that familiar with SAE wiring, so can't comment on it's sizing.

I'd also suggest using 6 gauge welding cable for battery terminal connections as it's very flexible and can fit in tighter areas the ones that came with the bike won't.

Welding cable is sold by the foot and comes in two colors, RED and BLACK.
The terminations may be crimped on at the place where you bought the cable or at a battery supply store using either a dedicated crimping machine or a tool that resembles a bolt cutter with special swaging/crimping dies.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I used 12 gauge automotive wire and soldered it in. It works perfectly and costed $40.

Jimmy
1979 kz1000 ltd mkii
dyna s ignition, dyna 3 ohm coils, solid copper core plugs, full rewire.
By the way, if u use bullet or spade terminals, u will eventually have problems with them, rhats y i soldered all my connections.

Jimmy
1979 kz1000 ltd mkii
dyna s ignition, dyna 3 ohm coils, solid copper core plugs, full rewire.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
By the way, if u use bullet or spade terminals, u will eventually have problems with them, rhats y i soldered all my connections.
Solder isn't necessarily full proof. Most of the stock connections on my 81 KZ650 are crimped open barrel terminals. I replaced a voltage regulator & redid some other wiring using open barrel terminals & a ratcheting open barrel crimper --- the crimps are very strong when done properly using correctly sized terminals &/or wire.

CycleTerminal.com & Z1Enterprises.com are a couple of places where I get the stuff. Z1Ent has a good selection of colored wire.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Thanks. I inadvertently typed fool proof originally, but caught the error. hee. Didn't want to insult anyone. I'd be more concerned with vibration than the weather. For waterproofing I reuse the stock terminal covers if possible or install new. Cycleterminal has some nice stuff. I'm sure soldering is fine if done correctly, but it kills me to see guys mash crimp generic terminals then solder. and I don't trust my soldering skills. hee.

Crimping tool? --- open barrel crimp
I already had a Harbor Freight ratcheting crimper, but the dies were incorrect for open barrel terminals,
so I got a open barrel die set on amazon.com.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.