Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Bike-less
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow riders,

I've been looking in ads for a used bike. I found a 2004 Ninja 250 with 500 miles, so it has been sitting in storage for quite a long time.

What tends to happen to bikes that's been sitting in storage for a long time?
What needs to be fixed?

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Has it been sitting in a "winterized" state or simply parked and left?

All fluids need to be changed. Seals can shrink, might expect oil leaks.
Tires should be replaced... they need to roll to "work" the carbon black to the surface that protects the rubber from UV and ozone.
Condensation could have caused rust in the engine....

Personally, unless it's a VERY good deal, I'd pass on it.

·
Bike-less
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Has it been sitting in a "winterized" state or simply parked and left?

All fluids need to be changed. Seals can shrink, might expect oil leaks.
Tires should be replaced... they need to roll to "work" the carbon black to the surface that protects the rubber from UV and ozone.
Condensation could have caused rust in the engine....

Personally, unless it's a VERY good deal, I'd pass on it.
$2000 OBO.

Ehh, on second thought I don't want to deal with problems...
I think I may go for a new '07

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
$2000 OBO.

Check with OTDCyclesports.com
They have showrooms in Santa Ana and near LAX... nobody can beat 'em, though sometimes Bert's will match.

·
Gear Head
434 Posts
If it sat with fuel in the tank you will need to flush and clean the tank, replace the fule lines, rebuild the carb, possibly complete engine gasket and seal replacement, new tires, and I'd double check all the wiring for rodent damage.

Yes, fuel stabilizer is great....but I don't think it will last for 3 years without some side effects....but I could be wrong.

·
Old Man Riding
930 Posts
I just bought an '06 650R that had sat 10-11 months, so nowhere near as long a time between starts. I had to remove plugs, drain fuel tank and put new gas in, etc - and it took a week before finally getting it to start. I don't think I would go for that specific deal. I'd consider it for $1000, but not $2000. You can buy an '05 with a few more miles for about that amount if you look around. Just my $.02

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
Just figure any rubber part will fail soon, if not properly taken care of and preserved, also I bet the carbs aren't in great shape either
I run my bikes at least 5 min (up to op temp) at least twice a week if the weather doesnt support any riding.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
BTW: Ask Sdbrit68 what happens to a brand new bike that sits in the dealership for 2 years with fluids in it.

He's been getting decel popping. Rejetting helped, but now it's getting worse.
New exhaust gaskets, no help.

He took it in for a dyno run to verify the jetting... jetting's fine. When he described the conditions of the purchase, the tech said that he was probably looking at the minimum a top end if not a complete rebuild. Only 20k on the bike.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
$2000 OBO.

If you're going to buy new get an '08. I imagine you'll get near what you paid for it within the first couple years of the new model run. Everyone is going to want to get their hands on a 2008 used.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts