Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to get to my bulb (i assume it has a bulb not a sealed beam) no idea how and no idea if is a bulb or sealed beam light. Little help please?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just changed mine too. It is a bulb and not a sealed headlight. Take off the front panel and unplug the headlight and turn signal connectors. The bulb is in a rubber waterproofing piece and it's held in by a "spring" loaded metal bar, which is easy enough to figure out how it comes off. The bulb is an H4 that can be picked up at just about any hardware store. By the way, don't touch the glass part of the new bulb when installing it. The oils on your hands could cause it to explode. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
H4 bulb, you should be able to find them at many places, local dealership or bike parts shop. You can probably get them through beartooth kawasaki (sponser of this site) or any other bike website.

·
Registered
78 Posts
has anyone tried the various differant types of blub available?
i have a 'vision plus' made by phillips, and i have found it to be very bright.
* Better light l 50% brighter
* Enhanced safety and comfort
* Better reflection from road and signs
* E.C.E. regulation 37
* ‘Totally legal
* 10-20 metre longer beam
Phillips also make a blue vision bulb, just wondering if anyone had tried any other 'aftermarket' bulbs and what they thought of them.
The other thing i was interested in is that since i do a lot of night riding does anyone know how much extra wattage i can add (eg get a 100w front bulb) before i blow something in the bikes electrics.

·
Road Snot Needs A Kleenex
364 Posts
Teknik said:
The other thing i was interested in is that since i do a lot of night riding does anyone know how much extra wattage i can add (eg get a 100w front bulb) before i blow something in the bikes electrics.
I ran a Eurodezigns 5600K Krypton/Xenon 100w/90w bulb in my '02 500R all of last summer with no problems with the wires over heating. The only thing I did have problems with is the bulb burned out by fall.

Now, the company released a D.O.T. approved bulb that is 6000K Krypton/Xenon , it's standard wattage (60w/55w), but suppose to still be at least 2 times brighter than stock. I haven't had a chance yet to drive at night to compare the new one to the old.

You can get the Eurodezign bulbs off of eBay for about $9.99, and they're suppose to have a Lifetime Warrenty.

If you want more info on the bulbs I'm running, Click on the Following link:http://www.eurodezigns.com

·
Registered
78 Posts
they look nice, now to find out if they are willing to ship to the UK

·
Registered
78 Posts
just picked up one of the last euro designs 100/90w(windshield melters) 5200k H4 bulbs :D they have now discontinued these and are running the 6k 65/55w H4 (these are the legal ones in the uk) will test these tonight, but since i just got home the bike is too hot to fit them, that and its full sun atm.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just changed the headlight in my bike about a week ago and was so happy. I finally used the tools that came with my bike and was relieved to know that all the tools I needed were in there. But anyway after changing the light I noticed that if you put your hand in the beam it is considerably hotter than the old light was. I wonder if this will have an affect on the life of the light. Well I kept the old one just in case. You never know when your gonna need a headlight. Still haven't ridden in the dark yet though. At least not this year. :lol:

·
Registered
78 Posts
exactly what tools did you use?
i just used my hands, unclip the clip, use the connector to pull bulb out, *dont touch either of the bulbs* remove old bulb from connector, put new bulb on connector, use connector to locate new bulb in housing, reclip the clip, done.
My new bulb looks really bright, i still havent been out with it (its 6pm now and still really really sunny, i plan to go out about midnight tonight for a ride, mebby get some midnight takeaway) but in the garage it looks pure white with a tinge of blue to the edges.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Teknik said:
exactly what tools did you use?
i just used my hands, unclip the clip, use the connector to pull bulb out, *dont touch either of the bulbs* remove old bulb from connector, put new bulb on connector, use connector to locate new bulb in housing, reclip the clip, done.
My new bulb looks really bright, i still havent been out with it (its 6pm now and still really really sunny, i plan to go out about midnight tonight for a ride, mebby get some midnight takeaway) but in the garage it looks pure white with a tinge of blue to the edges.
Well I wasn't sure how hard it might have been (now seeing the inside you don't even have to take anything apart). But I undid the front fairing which required me using a phillips screw driver, and a size 10 and 12 wrench. I'm actually glad I did, because if I hadn't I would've never known that the turn signal rubber gromets were knocked out and needed to be reseated. So while I was there I used the phillips to redo that. It was a very good experience. So there! :p lol

·
Registered
78 Posts
ahh fair does, due to an incident which involved me, a curb and a hedge my front fairing is held together with zip ties and as such doesnt want to be removed till i get a new one.

·
Registered
78 Posts
500R2001 said:
Tried to get to my bulb (i assume it has a bulb not a sealed beam) no idea how and no idea if is a bulb or sealed beam light. Little help please?
oh btw, the bulb used in a Ex500A is a standard H4, these are a standard spec accross cars and bikes alike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts