Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to make a left turn at a stoplight that is on a sensor the bike won't trip.

I was coming home last night, and sat and waited about 5 minutes, hoping another car would show up. Finally, I just made a right, and then a left at the next street, and tried making a left onto a road that runs parallel to the first left. After about 5 minutes of sitting there (there was no way around if I made a right), finally a car showed up to trip the light for me.

So just out of curiousity, how many people run into this? How many wait for a clearing and eventually just make a left on red? How many make a right and a U-turn (which is also illegal, at least in some states - avoiding a traffic control device)?

·
Registered
68 Posts
That has happened to me only once since i dont drive to much on the road(no lisence or insurence yet). Luckly a car came and triggered it,my friend said i need to get a Traffic light Trigger out of the White Horse Press catalog, Ill propebly get it when i get my lisance and stuff and start to ride more.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

if the light don't trip - i turn left on red as long as its safe to do so
usually traffic will do it for me-but if its a empty intersection i just turn-there's nothing coming anyway

you can buy a gadget to go under your bike - but its not worth it to me :wink:

·
Registered
458 Posts
Since these trigger gizmos were brought up, does anyone have one and is one kind better than the other?

I see a new one advertised out of Tucson, Arizona that claims to be smaller and better than the original "Green Light Trigger".

·
NO---I ain't dead--yet
266 Posts
On those lights----wait till the coast is clear and then proceed as normal.

What I hate most about my bike??? That I haven't ridden for near a month and its still in the shop-----1 week waitin for their insurance to pay up------2 weeks in the shop so far. :evil:

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
kmcbee1414 said:
That has happened to me only once since i dont drive to much on the road(no lisence or insurence yet). Luckly a car came and triggered it,my friend said i need to get a Traffic light Trigger out of the White Horse Press catalog, Ill propebly get it when i get my lisance and stuff and start to ride more.
What are you doing riding without licence and insurance ? Want to screw up your life if something happens ?.

·
Registered
605 Posts
you have three options

1. This is what I do, since no one is there to trip it anyways, I slow to 5-10mph about 50 feet from the light and go in little swerves, just look for a square/rectangle cut into the ground that is where the electronics are tripped...just swerve over it/near it and right away you see the opposing light turn yellow.

2. Wait for a car to trip it, risking a drunk driver not seeing your light

3. Neutral, kickstand, hit the crosswalk, come back :)

But, one of the things i love is the ability to have fun going in any direction so if I am forced to make a right as opposed to a left because someone cuts me off or something, I make my own route.

It is said you shouldn't ride to work or something you have to be at if you are in a hurry, take the cage

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
The sensors in Los Angeles are much easier to operate. If you look on the ground there is usually a round circle where they installed the sensor (tube I think) Put your front tire on it and it triggers the light. At night it may be more difficult to see but it isusually covered by blacktop/tar.

I haven't tried this with a lighter bike yet though as mine is 500 pounds + me

·
Registered
456 Posts
Re: re

bikeaholic said:
you can buy a gadget to go under your bike - but its not worth it to me
There's quite a few brands of those things. I doubt any of them do anything more than line the pockets of the people selling them.

My favorite quote on the subject comes from one of our own members at http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4946&highlight=#4946
vaporgas2000 said:
I also saw this topic on another forum and they said something about using a magnet from a speaker but they thought it would be a problem because it would pick up all the harley parts that had fallen off. :lol: :lol:
when I read that I set a new distance record for shooting beer out of my nose :lol:
Curt

·
Registered
837 Posts
we have 7 lights in our 1 horse town and i swear that 1 of them see's me comming every time.i cant get past that **** light without it catching me

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've actually only run into a select few of these kind of lights in all of my time around my town. I guess they don't exactly have the budget. ;)

I'm still using the cage though, so no problems yet. ;)

·
Registered
153 Posts
:) I was under the impression that you only had to sit for a certain amount of time or light rotations before you could just go when clear. Anyone know this rule? :?:

·
Registered
456 Posts
I think it varies by state. I've never had a problem triggering lights, but if I waited a long time, I think I'd just wait for all the traffic to clear and go on red. It's probably safer than the alternatives.

Now that I think about it, I had it happen to me in the car one time in the middle of the night many years ago. After about 4 or 5 minutes or so, I just went on red. There wasn't anyone on the road anyway.
Curt

·
Road Snot Needs A Kleenex
364 Posts
I have one of the green light triggers. Basically it is an inductive magnet that you mount to the bottom of the bike. It's supposed to trick the light sensor (which is supposed to be a magnetic coil) that the bike has more metal than it does.

Do they work? I have had less probrlems at lights since I put mine on, but there is one light that I can't trigger at all. I have had three bikes on the sensor and it never triggered. Way out of calibration.

Here's a link to the one I bought: http://www.cyclegadgets.com/products/product.asp?Item=GLTRIG

·
Registered
134 Posts
Stuart said:
It is said you shouldn't ride to work or something you have to be at if you are in a hurry, take the cage
Riding to work is great. Waking up isn't so bad, because you're going to ride. I take the direct highway route to work, but the ride home is a bit longer through the countryside and horse farms. I agree with the don't be in a hurry thought - allow time to get to work without having to be stupid. 8)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I bought a "Green Light Tirgger" and have never sat at a red light ever sence,I've been riding 40+ years and I wish this thing had been around for all those years!!! :wink:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts