Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess Kawasaki Heavy Industries is actually one of the smaller motorcycle manufacturers. They make lots of products, but motorcycles is only a minor part of the bussiness. Funny thing is that I have been impressed with their products since the early 70's. I was riding Triumphs and BSA's at that time, but when I saw these 3 cylinder two strokes flying by it impressed me.
Of course I didn't see the holes in the pistons, etc. I also was not aware of the poor handling of these wonderful bikes, but I sure liked the looks of them. Later down the road, around 1981 I think it was, I bought a KZ750 4 cylinder after owning a few Hondas. The Hondas were ok, but everybody had one!! The KZ did everything I wanted it to do and was a good bike, no problems at all.
You know how it goes, I fell in love with another beauty at the same time and ended up with a Harley FXRS n the garage at the same time. Two motorcycles, that was a nice start again because at one time I had over 20 motorcycles in the garage, mostly British and German. Anyhow, the Harley was sold at around 20.000 miles and so was the KZ 750, I think at 30.000 miles. I still had a 1973 Bonneville at the time and that one is still in my basement right now. Played with snowmobiles for a couple of years. And here I am again riding Kawis right now. Sure like them. Might be the smallest Jap manufacturer, but they are special.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Motorcycles make up less than 1% of their profits. I for one am glad they keep making them.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I enjoy my 1500 Classic, plus they are one of the larger employers here in Nebraska. I have a good dealer, the owner has competed strongly in the Pike's Peak Hill Climb several times (500cc class) and really knows his bikes.

Dave

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
I liked this.

The Kawasaki Group Code of Conduct

1. Always look at the bigger picture. Think and act from a long-term, global perspective.
2. Meet difficult challenges head-on. Aim high and never be afraid to try something new.
3. Be driven by your aspirations and goals. Work toward success by always dedicating yourself to your tasks.
4. Earn the trust of the community through high ethical standards and the example you set for others.
5. Keep striving for self-improvement. Act on your own initiative as a confident professional.
6. Be a part of Team Kawasaki. Share your pride and sense of fulfillment in a job well done.

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
I liked this.

1. Always look at the bigger picture. Think and act from a long-term, global perspective.
2. Meet difficult challenges head-on. Aim high and never be afraid to try something new.
3. Be driven by your aspirations and goals. Work toward success by always dedicating yourself to your tasks.
4. Earn the trust of the community through high ethical standards and the example you set for others.
5. Keep striving for self-improvement. Act on your own initiative as a confident professional.
6. Be a part of Team Kawasaki. Share your pride and sense of fulfillment in a job well done.
Sounds like the Code of the Japanese people, and one reason they do so well.

·
Luv my big boy toys
1,490 Posts
I liked this.

Doesn't sound like a "Union" place, especially the first one.:p

·
Registered
28 Posts
I liked this.

In the Land of the Rising Sun, many dedicate themselves to their work
for life.
An employee represents the whole company, and most companies gives
respect and appreciation to all their workers, as it should be anywhere in the
world.

·
Union Strong
1,142 Posts
The Japanese take very good care of their workers. In Japan, that is.
The unions could learn a lot from them.
That's funny.........I worked (25 yrs) for an American Company that had expanded globally over the 150 years they had been in business. NEVER EVER would any employee even want to mention union...........they treated everyone so well.

Than came the GREEDY 90's...........they started buying other similar companies. Next thing you know we have more CEO's than employees and we have to outsource everything to save money. GOODBYE to most older employees.....after all why would you want to give us a full retirement:mrgreen: . But don'y worry we'll sprinkle in enough younger folks so it doesn;t look like we don't want you to get your pension.

Oh...BTW......best news yet....................the contractor we outsourced with is hiring at 50% of what you make now and oh yeah they don't offer health care.:mrgreen:

Bottom line is that even the Japanese Companies may follow these trends eventually...........I made SURE my new career WAS Union.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
In the Land of the Rising Sun, many dedicate themselves to their work
for life.
An employee represents the whole company, and most companies gives
respect and appreciation to all their workers, as it should be anywhere in the
world.
Well said. I am afraid for this because of basic human greed. But I hope the Japanese way continues to spread globally. They have become some of the most important companies in the world, and the most profitable also.

Respect is the key to any good relationship. Many in this country feel they are just a number, me included, and what we do doesn't matter.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Learned it in school. Go to Kawasaki heavy industries. Somewhere they will have a breakdown of their profits.
I spent 3 weeks at KHI back in the late 90's (Worked for a dealer that sold Kaw wheel loaders). And I seem to recall the same thing....can't give you the exact figure but no that it was infintessimaly small compred to the $$ from their other divisions.

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
Didn't someone once post on here that KHI made the majority of it's profits from it's Shipbuilding and Aerospace divisions?

It was a post that had a whole bunch of Kawasaki Historical information in it.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
I found a pie chart last night with a breakdown of profits, and motorcycle/ATV/jetskis were relegated to 11%. It was labeled OTHER!

·
Eliminating all others
917 Posts
Sounds like the Code of the Japanese people, and one reason they do so well.
At a Guzzy Rally many years ago the "Dr" Guzzy owners know who he is lol said this: " In Japan they live to work,,,,,,,,,,, But in Italy they work to live"

Big green has always been the brand I liked, cool looking, powerfull and not one EVERYONE HAD, it took me 20 years to get one and I find they seem to hold the value a bit better than the others do ~sans the Italian/Brit makers~
Anyone other than me notice that the asian bike prices ~used~ are staying at an even keel wile the US makes are falling? compare an 06 roadstar, v2k, m109 against the comparative Milwaukee brand. Victory does not apply as they are holding and gaining popularity a few other brands dont apply but overall the Asian makes are gaining in value on the used scale

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
At a Guzzy Rally many years ago the "Dr" Guzzy owners know who he is lol said this: " In Japan they live to work,,,,,,,,,,, But in Italy we work to live"

Big green has always been the brand I liked, cool looking, powerfull and not one EVERYONE HAD, it took me 20 years to get one and I find they seem to hold the value a bit better than the others do ~sans the Italian/Brit makers~
Anyone other than me notice that the asian bike prices ~used~ are staying at an even keel wile the US makes are falling? compare an 06 roadstar, v2k, m109 against the comparative Milwaukee brand. Victory does not apply as they are holding and gaining popularity a few other brands dont apply but overall the Asian makes are gaining in value on the used scale
Hehe, I loved my Guzzi's but they were kind of like Brit bikes. If you got one built on Wednesday you got a GREAT bike. Monday or Friday - you got a POS (hangovers on Monday, don't give a sh&t on Friday). I think my Elderado 850 was built on Thursday;) As to Kawasaki, I have a lot of admiration for the KZ1000 Police model I rode for years. When it came time to get a new bike the only Kawa I had looked at was the Nomad. I was actually on my way to buy a Honda. When I got to the Honda place, they were closed. I then headed for the Yamaha/Suzuki place - closed. I was on my way out of town and remembered there was a Kawasaki place on the way. I stopped in and got treated right, saw the 900 sitting there and really liked the look. Took it for a test ride and bought it!:mrgreen: I have no regrets.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts