Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i am jeff and i am about to get my first dirtbike and i want to ask what is the main difference between the kawasaki motocross and offroad models

·
Registered
11 Posts
the motocross bike is what the pros use and are 2 stroke
and off road bikes are 4 stroke and sometimes have lights on them
off road bike you can get up to 300cc
motocross you can get up to 500cc
a 250 four stroke is the same as a 125 two stroke :D
go to www.kawasaki.com it can tell you more about it

·
Registered
191 Posts
almost

thats not totally true.

a motocross bike is set up with the minimal equipment. up until recently they were mostly 2 stroke but yz450, cr450 and the like all 4 stroke, they race with 250 two strokes. motocross bikes generally have more suspension travel, are lighter and are all kick start. Off road bikes can be two or four stroke. yamahas off road bike is the wr(now the 450 but for years was 250 two stroke only) they also have other lines, ttrs and so on, suzuki for years had the rmx250 two stroke and so on. off road bikes usually have a wider transmission ratio(yz450 is 4 speed, wr is 5 speed) and they are usually geared and tuned for more midrange and low end power. enduros are on and off road which would be your klr models in kawasaki. they are all 4 stroke in the states here because of emissions laws but thats not true if you go back far enough. I used to have an 81 ke125 two stroke enduro.

there are tons of small differences but really you should choose a bike that suits the type of riding you want to do. If you are new to riding and you want to do mostly off roading and not really jumping or racing you should look into a 4 stroke, they are much easier to learn on and less intimidating in terms of power.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes. Motocross bikes are made to be lighter in weight and have better suspension while offroad bikes are made to go over most terrains and climb hills and such. Not that mx bikes can't do these things because I use mine for this stuff but they're made for closed courses only, well a least the 2-strokes. A few years ago motocross bikes were usually all 2-strokes but now 4-stroke mx bikes are more and more popular so that really has nothing to do with it.

Thats basically some of the stuff shift1313 had but I felt like adding on a bit. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
You also have to consider your age, weight and size Jeff. Traditionally, MX bikes have not been for beginners. A little twist of the throttle on a MX bike can get you into trouble far more quickly than on an off-road bike.
If it is really your first bike, I would strongly suggest looking at the off-road bikes rather than MX bikes unless you have some experienced riders around to lend you some advice.
We are looking for my son a new bike right now. Probably a KX60 MX bike. But he has been riding a XR70 for a year and has now run out of gears on it. The need for speed has gotten to him! He is eight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts