Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for another full face helmet. I'd like to get the lightest one without compromising safety. Does anyone know which brands weigh the least? Also, is there such thing as a low profile helmet? I feel like a bobble head in mine.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Not quite sure, but most of the major manufacturer's make a carbon fiber full face helmet.
It's all about fit really. You should shop around and try on as many helmets as possible. See which feel the best.
Me? I have a Shoei or Icon head, definatley not an Aria head.

·
Giggidy-Giggidy-Goo!
1,623 Posts
...+1 what Trikebubble said. Carbon fiber is the lightest helmet material available ...but prepare to pay through the rectal orafice for it.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Arai is probly the lightest that is a good material for helmets.. I honestly do NOT like CF helmets, since CF is good at cracking, and not so good at absorbing impacts

·
Registered
152 Posts
isn't the outer shell only for protecting your head from objects and the inner material responsible for the impact absorbtion. thats what the msf course tought me

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
isn't the outer shell only for protecting your head from objects and the inner material responsible for the impact absorbtion. thats what the msf course tought me
True. The shell protects you from punctures, abraision, etc. The foam liner is what dampens and absorbs the G's of shock to protect your brain.

A good helmet WILL crack on impact as that is a sign that the impact is dispersed throughout the entire helmet and not into your head.

The most informative article on helmet technology that I've ever read is here...

Motorcycle Helmet Design, Helmet Standards and Head Protection - Gear Box - Motorcyclist Online

Can't help much about the bobble-head look, though. Because you are a pettite lady, most helmets will look big in comparison.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Easy answer, Marushin 999rs. I used to race solo's and outfits back in the 80's and broke my neck in 3 places as a result of a rear end shunt. The Aussie consultant, who fixed me up, told me that had I not been wearing a Nava 3 helmet (a very light polycarbonate lid) I would be dead (or paraplegic). He explained that the Aussies had very strict weight limits on helmet weights for a good reason (to protect your neck). The Marishin 999rs has a carbon/kevlar shell but still only weighs in at 1150grm (1166 on my scales including visor). This still puts it nearly 300grm (NEARLY 30%) lighter than its nearest rivals. It gets a 5 star rating in the UK's SHARP tests (world best). Do not be put off by the fact that you can flex the outer shell, its almost bullet proof (it's the polystyrene liner that spreads the impact). After 3 yrs use (every day) its starting to look a little worn, but as nothing on the market looks better, it looks like i'll be buying another.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts