Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which Harley Davidson if any do you think the Mean Streak mostly resembles and why?

·
Registered
459 Posts
It's a stretch, but the overall lines (to me) in general would loosely resemble the Road Glide. It would be the one that, to me, would most match the "attitude" of the Meanie.

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
i would lean towards the VROD, only because of the purpose of both machines. i think they were both built as muscle cruisers, much like the VTX and Road Warrior. just my $0.02, and i know very little about Harleys.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i'd say the rod also - but that is on looks alone

maybe a sporty with a fat bob tank and fat boy front end :razz:

·
Registered
837 Posts
i say vrod cause it looks more like a jap bike than a jap bike ;-)

·
Registered
65 Posts
My Harley riding mate thinks it looks like a VROD too.
I think that's where the similarity ends though

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Altersys said:
I'd put my money on the FXDL/I as being the closest cousin.... though I wouldn't buy one! ;)
Yea I agree with you...The FXDLI really looks closest to the meanie IMHO.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Apples and Oranges! How could you compare the two? One is state of the art and the other is an overpriced lawn mower :D

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i would'nt call it a overpriced lawnmower-

the vrod will smoke any of our cruisers with no problem
in fact so will some sportsters :razz:

·
Registered
131 Posts
bikeaholic said:
i would'nt call it a overpriced lawnmower-

the vrod will smoke any of our cruisers with no problem
in fact so will some sportsters :razz:
Yeah, the V-Rod is nice but my Vulcan is alot more machine for the money. The style, from the head light to the fenders blows aways any Harley in my opinion. Look at the size of the V-Rod, it`s tiny. Alright, it`s fast but you could buy an R-1 or a V-Max and toast it. It`s all a matter of taste. I didn`t buy a Vulcan cause I wished it was Harley

Oh, and to me, any sporster is a joke!

·
Registered
244 Posts
The fact that an R1 or a Vmax can toast it is a tribute, not a knock, on the Vrod's power IMHO. Those bikes are definitely top of the line for speed. Maybe you were being facetious though and I didn't "pick" up on it. I rode a Vrod and it's quick but I was unimpressed with its handling, setup, and turning ability due to the rake.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

agree with pick-handling falls way short on the V
but all the bikes mentioned above are somewhat apples and oranges,built for
different riding styles and all great at what they are built for

R1"s, v-max, vrod,vulcans,sportsters all different and can be compared
in certain areas but each has its weak points

styling is a matter of taste,but performance is a matter of fact and i hate to say it but kawi lacks in that department big time with the crusier line
nearly every one of us has to mod our bikes to s****e up 75hp and 90lb of tq

why would the sportster be a joke?
girls bike? :razz:

don't think you want to tell any of the flat trackers that :wink:
its a great bike with a long heritage-would'nt really matter who built it?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I wouldn`t even recommend the Sportster to a girl. To me the bike is ****. Often, the guy that buys a Sporty is the guy who really wants a Harley but doesn`t want to pay for it. He buys this pathetic exuse for a motorcycle and then looks down at guys like me with my 1600 Vulcan.

Example: My neighbor always talked about getting a Harley. One day he does, he comes home with a 03 Sportster 883. All of a sudden he`s this [email protected] biker. He looks at my bike and says, "it`s okay, but it`s not a Harley". I don`t think guys like this know anything about engineering. This guy won`t even ride with me. It still amazes me how a 6ft + tall man and his [email protected] girlfriend on a 883 Sporty, struggling to make it a up a hill, won`t wave to me on the road, and tell me my Vulcan is [email protected]

Not all, but alot of the Harley owners frown at metric bikes. I believe my Vulcan is more American made than the Harley. As far as a girls bike, Yamaha V-Star is one of the easiest bikes to handle for man or woman.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

wow-a real harley hater :grin:

but you still did'nt answer the question-what makes the sporty a bad bike?
all i see is distaste for a particular rider who rides a H/D
no mention of why the bike is a "pathetic excuse"?
seems like some metric owners look down on H/D because of who rides it
and that puts them in the same mold as other snotty riders

i'm just curious as to how this can be such p.o.s bike?
i don't care much for bikes that begin with "H" and can list the reasons why
but i don't see any valid reasons in your statements to bash this particular
model other than your neighbor is a butthead :grin:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Bikeaholic, your right, and I appoligize. I don`t mean to bash the bike itself. It`s my opinion that the Sportster is too small only cause it`s too small for me. If you were to compare any Harley to any metric bike (side by side) you could CLEARY see the quality difference; frame welds, assembly, longevity, durablity, engineering, etc. I`ve drivin these bikes before, and I must admit, the performance flat out stinks. I had a hardtime climbing a hill, and coming down the hill the brakes faded, WTF! And for me, the bike doesn`t warrant the price. Resale value is a whole other story.
And as for the Harley owners, NOT all but most of these guys see the drive-shaft on my bike and right away I get looked down upon. Again, WTF is what that! I strongly believe that most metric bikes are state of the art machines that are affordable to people who just wanna ride and don`t care about product status. And FYI, my neighbor is a butthead who rides a 883 Sportster with a USA Flag helmet. He won`t ride with metric bikes and yet drives a Hyundai during the work week. Go figure!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Their you go $7000 his car cost the same as his bike. I think that most bikers buy what they really want, most of us do our homework to see if its fast enough, pretty enough, ergonomically comfortable and cost effective. Then you have the buttheads who ride ((statice symbols)), when you ride buy them hold your head high and wave like you do normally and when he looks over at you at the light and sees how trick your cruizer or meanie looks he will know the mistake, but will never let anyone know. but you will and thats all that counts, how great your moto feels under your wallet. RIDE ON, BE SAFE.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

ha!ha! yea its takes all kinds :wink:

i have experienced what you mean with the attitude of some folks but
they are not worth the trouble-i just say my bike is bigger than a H/D :grin:

" If you were to compare any Harley to any metric bike (side by side) you could CLEARY see the quality difference; frame welds, assembly, longevity, durablity, engineering, etc."

but as this thread started to compare the meanie with the rod i went and
put them side by side(we have several of both in our group) and i would have to say that H/D is on track with that bike in all the areas you mention above except maybe longevity(remains to be seen).overpriced YES,but i believe
that will change around 2008-2010 when H/D makes everything water cooled
due to emission regs.i already know of some dealers selling below msrp
and that is something new for H/D and resale is falling also.i have a buddy with a 04 duece that he has over 24k in and on ebay 04's are bringing
17-18k and getting no bids.they already admit that they are concerned
about the market share they have lost due to pricing and i'd be willing to bet
in the next 5 years you'll see a change in the way they do things

its funny how this attitude thing is still prevelant with some riders though
i just don't get it-its like that with corvette too,when i sold my vette for the
T/A i was dis-owned by that crowd but none of them would meet me at the track for a little shootout :p to prove their point-so i'm just happy to have
a faster car than them and have a backseat too :grin:

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
bikeaholic said:
its funny how this attitude thing is still prevelant with some riders though
i just don't get it-its like that with corvette too,when i sold my vette for the
T/A i was dis-owned by that crowd but none of them would meet me at the track for a little shootout :p to prove their point-so i'm just happy to have
a faster car than them and have a backseat too :grin:

hehe, feels good doesn't it !!

·
Registered
244 Posts
I wonder if Harley's reliability (which is rumored to have improved lately) will go down along with the prices in the future.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts