Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I know you haven't been riding for too long so I really recommend you get a little bit more comfortabl with the bike before you start trying to wheelie it. It takes really good control of the brakes, throttle, and clutch. If you are really interested in it there are a few posts about it in the sportbike section. Just make sure if you are trying to learn to wheelie do it where there is no traffic and have all the proper gear. I would probably be eating nothing but soup through a wired up jaw right now were it not for my helmet.

Good Luck,
Albert

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
c'mon people help me out here. I didn't say I am going to go all out and blindfolded try it right after someone posts with something other than nothing. I'm just asking how it's done. :roll:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I dunno, but I did a stoppie yesterday when practicing emergency braking. It was controlled, though, and only brought the back wheel off the ground about 4". I was sure to keep the bars straight and level knowing that something like that could happen.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
There are other sites out there that cater to stunting and other motorcycle fringe activities that could better answer you question.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Don't release the clutch all at once though, even the little bikes have enough power to go all the way up, and over :?

·
Registered
302 Posts
The best way to perform wheelie is to put your bike in the back of a truck and at 25-30 Mph push it out the back. That way the damage is done and you are not dead.

Seriously don't try it. My F***ing insurance is high enough allready.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Wheelie//Read SPORT RIDER Magazine June 2004 page 12

AFTER YOU HAVE READ the article.....IF you are serious then what you need to do....is first of all find a dirt bike and ride it over all types of terrain and when you get real good at maneuvering it balancing the clutch, brakes, and balancing yourself, and mud, sand, packed or lose dirt or clay sandstone...you can finally manae to do a wheelie then that is when and where you should do it. Street bikes are NOT designed to do wheelies. Plastic fairings will not withstand the jarring like fiberglass will....You want to se something real...put a piece of printer paper under the front and rear tires of your bike and roll over them. Take the paper adn mount the two pieces of paper in matching frames with one of your bike in the middle...and put them where you can see them when you are in bed or setting at your computer....those very litle contact patches are ALL that you have in normal riding...now if you could put your bike up on one wheel and just set it on a piece of paper with just the rear wheel on it you won't find much of a contact patch... Just as a reminder...when you are riding wheelies on a dirt bike ALWAYS have your right foot on the rear brake. It is the most important (mechanical) control on the entire bike...NEVER forget this! Compression release...blah...blah...rear brake. If you haven't read the article, yet...Then DON'T even TRY a wheelie...just remember these guys are professionals and get paid good money...you want the TRUTH..you have to read it for your self! Sorry.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nathan600r said:
The best way to perform wheelie is to put your bike in the back of a truck and at 25-30 Mph push it out the back. That way the damage is done and you are not dead.

Seriously don't try it. My F***ing insurance is high enough allready.
Hey bud, read the previous posts. I never said anything about trying it.
If it'll make everyone feel better- I asked this question short of a month ago. I have not attempted this. I do not intend to. I just wanted to know how it's done. ****.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just get liability insurance, it's not that expensive, only like 300 a year.
Who would make a claim on their insurance from wrecking doing a wheelie anyone?

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
scared straight

Picture this. Been on a street bike for about 15 min total. My first Motorcycle a GS450S Susuki . In rush hour traffic in San Diego, trying to start off uphill into traffic . I learned how to shift gears in a parking lot on a friends 81Kz that morning. I told the bike shop I had been riding all my life, the whole 21 years of it. I lied of course, so they would let me ride it away. Here came an opening in traffic. I rolled on the throttle and let out on the clutch ( I actually just let go of the clutch) , I saw the sky, felt several G's and landed going right and upright in the middle of traffic. Needles to say God watches after fools. I learned that lesson the easy way. I was scared straight and took the MSF safety course as soon as I could. Safe riding. We only mean you good by all this advise. God Bless

Mack
40 and still riding!!!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.