Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinions on what the sweet spot is for mostly daily riding but occasional long trips for the average sized rider. Is it a 900, is it 1700, or is it some other size not currently offered by Kawasaki. Kawasaki seems to have a big jump from the 900's to the 1700's and up. I currently ride a 900c but have ridden a VTX1300. Personally, I'm loving the styling, lighter weight, and high MPG of the Custom.

Guess the ideal would be to have two or more bikes. Looking forward to Triumph and Harley Demo Days this year to get a feel for other rides.

So for the people who have ridden everything and anything, what is your take?

·
Registered
407 Posts
I think it comes down to the right tool for the job. I started on a VN 750 and loved it but it wasn't comfortable for two or for longer rides. I now have a Honda VTX 1300 and love it. But it is not as small and maneuverable as the 750 was. I think the 1300 will be good for long trips but a sport tourer would probably be better.

So anything is really a compromise, you just have to decide which attributes you value more.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,197 Posts
Personally, to me the "sweet spot" is whichever bike tugs at your heart, the one that forces you to look back at it a half dozen times every time you leave......the bike that you can't stop dreaming about.
Again, this is just me, but throw all the numbers, and stats, and shootouts, and magazine reviews out the window........and buy (or keep) the bike that moves your soul.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally, to me the "sweet spot" is whichever bike tugs at your heart, the one that forces you to look back at it a half dozen times every time you leave......the bike that you can't stop dreaming about.
Again, this is just me, but throw all the numbers, and stats, and shootouts, and magazine reviews out the window........and buy (or keep) the bike that moves your soul.
I totally agree with that. I guess now I am really digging: Kawasaki Nomad, V2k, HD Fatboy Lo, HD Street Glide, Yamaha Stratoliner Deluxe. And at the same time loving the 900 custom. I see two bikes in the garage at some point if a deal presents itself. Found a 02 nomad for $3950 with 44k miles and a hideous paint job.

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
I'd say 1500-1600cc is a perfect 'all around' size. Plenty of power, but still pretty light and maneuverable. No problems exceeding any speed limit you'll find in the states, and have plenty more to give.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
This is one of those questions that everyone will give you different answerers.

I personally think that the VN900 is the sweet spot for in town or occasionally long trips. It will do just fine if you ride 2up, it packs enough power to keep up with bigger bikes and even pass semis at 90mph. If you travel a lot on those long trips then something like a VN1700, VTX 1800 or anything similar will be more comfortable. But keep in mind that a bigger engine does not mean more speed, it means more power, they are heavier, less agile and still a cruiser. For those long trips they're more comfortable and can handle weight much better and they offer better stopping power.

My ideal plan will be having the VN900 for those occasionally long trips and a sport bike for those days that I desire speed.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,316 Posts
I'm with Trike on this one. No bike is perfect...they all have flaws, and are all compromises of some kind. The important thing is that you are happy with it.

I realized after riding the 900 for awhile that I loved riding...not the bike. I was constantly looking at other bikes...bigger cruisers, little sport bikes, big sport tourers...constantly looking for something better. With the ZX-14 I currently own...I love both...I still love riding, and honestly can't believe how happy I am with my bike. I passed 11,000 miles on it this past weekend (got it mid-June last summer), and have honestly not looked at other bikes over that time. Sure there are bikes I'd like to have in addition...but they can wait ;)

For me, the '14 is the perfect street bike...in town or out. You just need to find the perfect bike for you.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm with Trike on this one. No bike is perfect...they all have flaws, and are all compromises of some kind. The important thing is that you are happy with it.

I realized after riding the 900 for awhile that I loved riding...not the bike. I was constantly looking at other bikes...bigger cruisers, little sport bikes, big sport tourers...constantly looking for something better. With the ZX-14 I currently own...I love both...I still love riding, and honestly can't believe how happy I am with my bike. I passed 11,000 miles on it this past weekend (got it mid-June last summer), and have honestly not looked at other bikes over that time. Sure there are bikes I'd like to have in addition...but they can wait ;)

For me, the '14 is the perfect street bike...in town or out. You just need to find the perfect bike for you.
Just looked that bike up on wiki: The ZZR1400 is capable of accelerating from 0–60 mph in 2.5 seconds. Thats insane.

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
That right there is the real answer to your question.

Me telling you to buy an 800, 1400, 2000 cc etc machine is pointless.
Only you can know what is right for you.

Any bike made currently can get you from point A to B.......heck a honda CBR 125 will get a 300 pound guy around if need be.
http://www.sydneymotorbikes.net/images/2007_Honda_CBR125R_Black_r.jpg

Me i prefer a lot more power than is really needed.

As an all around street bike I love my 2009 Concours 1400, but does anyone need that much power? No.

But if a bike makes your heart pound in anticipation of the ride, be it a 125 or a 2000 cc machine, thats the bike for you.

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,749 Posts
I agree with the posts about buying the bike that excites you. You can't really limit or say one cc is "just right". It really depends on how many cylinders you're talking about as well. Jodie had a 650 thumper in her BMW F650 that was under powered for high speed highway use, but her 650 Ninja with it's parallel twin motor had more than enough get up and go. Same when talking about cruisers vs possibly a sport touring bike. Personally I think the sweet spot for a cruiser is in the 1600-1700 cc range (loved my MeanStreak), but put those same cc's in a sport tour like you mentioned, the ZX14, and I agree, that's an insane amount of power, although a certain few individuals on this forum seem to like it (trike and v2k ;-) ).

I used to have to have shaft drive and liquid cooling or I wouldn't even consider a bike, now I have a garage full of air cooled, chain driven bikes. I've realized that I really don't care what type of motor or how it's cooled, or how it gets it's power to the ground, I just buy bikes that "I" like to ride and find fun, nothing else really matters.

Except KTMs, I don't care how fun or great they are to ride, I won't own another one. ;-)

·
*NRA*
280 Posts
When I feel like dirt riding I take my YZ out. When I'm out cruisin the streets I will jump on a V1.7K. On the long trips, saddle up the Electra Glide. Whatever u enjoy riding my friend...if u are torn between 2 choices maybe pick the one with the better maintence history..or which one will make the least impact on your wallet..

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That right there is the real answer to your question.
Me telling you to buy an 800, 1400, 2000 cc etc machine is pointless.
Only you can know what is right for you.

Any bike made currently can get you from point A to B.......heck a honda CBR 125 will get a 300 pound guy around if need be.
I totally get this point. I know it only matters what I choose. I'm just polling others opinions. Would like to see if anyone upgraded and then thought, **** I miss that smaller bike, or vice versa.

I like a handful of other bikes from both Kawa and other manufacturers, most solely of the looks though. Just have not had the chance to actually ride them to get the true feel.

Thanks for all responses so far.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Personally, I find that 2053 cc is the perfect size for all occasions.........lol
From what I usually read on the forums, it seems like people move up and don't look back. Comments like, "bought my 1700, now the 900 feels like a scooter", or "bought a nomad, and never ride the 900 anymore". Just read one yesterday on here, and the guy said his 900 was having hard time keeping up with 75 mph traffic so he rides the v2k. Thought that was funny, as mine has plenty at 75 mph and greater. I guess that is what doubling the displacement does to ya.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,361 Posts
I'd say 1500-1600cc is a perfect 'all around' size. Plenty of power, but still pretty light and maneuverable. No problems exceeding any speed limit you'll find in the states, and have plenty more to give.

you ain't kidding there. I loved to toss my 1500 around those nice sweet corners in the farm fields.

...and that US 12 east to west in Idaho, stuff that dreams are made of there.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,361 Posts
Personally, I find that 2053 cc is the perfect size for all occasions.........lol
From what I usually read on the forums, it seems like people move up and don't look back.
I don't look back...much.

I love my V2k, it ain't a light bike but I can ride it and get my heart pumping. Its acceleration via the transfer of torque is something to behold for sure.

I do miss some of the riding characteristics my 1500 had...she was a sweet girl.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.