Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I'm previously a Honda SOHC/4 man but I traded my '76 in for an '82 Kawasaki. Thing is, the title does not say exactly what the bike is! I have also looked pretty much all over it and cannot find a plate or inscription that has any model or even displacement info. I will describe the bike though and hopefully someone can help me. If you need specific info on it, please reply and I will get it for you.

Lets see, the bike is an 82, larger displacement (1000-1100cc, don't think it's big enough to be the 1300), it's drive shaft, air suspension (i think, it has schrader valves on the forks and rear shocks that let out air when pressed in), definately a cruiser. Hmm.....this is all pretty general info.

If anyone knows where I can find some unusual distinguishable features on the bike that might identify it's model and displacement, please let me know. I am in the process of stripping/rebuilding it so I can get any internal numbers that may be in the motor or what not too.

Thanx for reading!

-Shane

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Give me the frame and engine numbers and color and I'll try to figure it out. If it's 1300 it should be a six cylinder engine. Fairly easy to find out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The number on the engine is "KHI KZT10AE015176" and the number on the frame (the VIN) is "JKAKZBD15CA004373." The color of the tank/fenderlooks to be in between red and maroon (darker than plain red but slightely lighter than maroon).

And you're right, it's definately not the 1300. :grin:

BTW, thanks for the reply! :)

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Audiomechanic,

Shaft drive and air suspension and color sounds like the Spectre....they made 750 and 1000 or 1100CC's. My 750 Spectre is my avatar!!!!!

Look on the steering stem behind the headlight. Should have a white stick on label with the vin number and the model number (KZ750N is what mine says). The VIN number itself should be stamped into the metal on the steering stem on the right hand side near where the sticker is.

Hope this helps....... Keep us posted.

Heather and Mack

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Just found out for sure that what you have is the 1982 1000cc Spectre!!!!!! Went to www.buykawasaki.com and typed in the vin number!!!!! It said your warrenty was up
:razz: :razz: :razz:

You can get an owners manual for it from this site.

There are several other Spectre owners up here besides myself, so welcome to the club!!!!

Heather

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My warranty's up?!?!?! WHAT AM I GOING TO DO NOW?!?!?!?!?! ;)

Thank you very much for the info! I didn't even think to type in the VIN at kawasaki's site. Actually since you mention it, the main reason I wanted to know what it was is because I want to buy a shop manual for it! Me and a friend have this thing almost stripped to the frame. We just have the front end and the swing arm to get off. We plan on restoring and customizing it a little (mostly with color and changing the lights, switch pods, etc). Right now we plan on keeping it stock but as money comes in, so will a few performance parts. I won't make it a full out drag bike, but something that will never bore me if I need to pass someone on the highway. ;)

Again, thank you for the welcome and the information!

Kindest regards,
-Shane

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Shane,

Glad I could help.....try and find a Kawasaki Service Manual also. They are worth their weight in gold and cover things in more detail that the other manuals don't. If you can't find a service manual a Clymers will do until you do.

Enjoy working on your project and send us a before and after pic of you and the bike!!!! We would all love to see you both :lol:

Many Happy and Safe riding Days in 2005,

Heather

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kyhick1 said:
Shane,

Glad I could help.....try and find a Kawasaki Service Manual also. They are worth their weight in gold and cover things in more detail that the other manuals don't. If you can't find a service manual a Clymers will do until you do.

Enjoy working on your project and send us a before and after pic of you and the bike!!!! We would all love to see you both :lol:

Many Happy and Safe riding Days in 2005,

Heather
DOH!!! I forgot to take a before picture!!! :(

How about this, I'll take progress pictures once I get it to bare frame. Can I host pictures on this site?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey Shane, nice bike !
I hope you are going to paint it in the original collors.
I always liked those bikes.
They were not trying to be Harleys at all, unlike modern cruisers.
Your resale value will be highest if you keep it all original.
Good luck buddy.
Greg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GPzGreg said:
Hey Shane, nice bike !
I hope you are going to paint it in the original collors.
I always liked those bikes.
They were not trying to be Harleys at all, unlike modern cruisers.
Your resale value will be highest if you keep it all original.
Good luck buddy.
Greg
Well, I know that this will disappoint some of you, but I will not be going with the original red. I don't particularly like that color so I am going custom. Probably a midnight blue or very dark purple. I'm not really worried about resale value. I'd rather have a pretty bike.

-shane

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Shane,

I hope that you decide to paint it blue. It's my favorite color. My BMW is midnight Blue with sliver pin stripes....VERY classy looking!!!!

Heather

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm really torn between the two colors. I know I want something dark and deep. Something that almost gives the illusion that you can just reach your hand into the side of the tank. Blue is my favorite color as well but throw a little red into it and WOW!

I can't decide. :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts