·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Bike: Kawasaki Kz 550 1980
Miles, ~27,000
First noticed: 2 weeks ago
Bike issues: non, it runs fine-ish, carbs need cleaning for sure but it runs and starts. I noticed no drop in performance from before and after I noticed this issue.

I noticed a week or so ago, that the outlet encircled in red below appeared to have blown oil out of it. I think this because there was oil caked on the side of the battery and the frame opposite the outlet side (coming toward-ish the perspective of the camera). The shiny reflection you see in the battery housing is oily. There also used to be some sort of cloth plug in the outlet that is no longer there. All this leads me to believe oil popped out of there. I did overfill the bike a bit so this could make sense but I do not even know what this thing does or what it is so it is tough to say for certain.

For reference on where this is in the bike, just aft of the battery housing, below the carburetor air intakes, sitting atop the engine.

I looked through the Clymer manual (covering mostly the section regarding engine) and could not find any information as to what this is. Does anyone have any idea of what it is or where I should focus to find information on it? Thanks!

ps. here is a video of my phone exploring around the areas for better orientation

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
I don't know what the rectangular part is, but below that is the crankcase breather cover (round/silver). When the engine is over-filled, excess oil will get expelled thru the breather. It should not be plugged with a rag or anything. Stock, there should be a breather tube connected to the airbox so that crankcase fumes can get burned when the engine is running.

With individual pod filters, you should install tubing on the breather to keep water out of the engine. route the tubing behind the engine, forward of the swing arm. Warning: oil could get directed towards the rear wheel, so try to route the tubing to the left or right, but away from the drive chain & mufflers. I would install the stock airbox.

Engine oil. Warm up the engine, then turn it off. put the motorcycle on the center stand & let it sit for a couple of minutes, then check the oil level at the oil gauge sight glass. The oil should be between the two lines. If the oil is low, add enough to raise it to the proper level. If there's too much oil, remove the excess by siphoning thru the oil filler.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you all for your responses. After popping around the internet a bit, it seems I have a choice. To figure out if the carb has been rejetted (and rejet if not) or to find a air box and re-install it. Unfortunately, I do not have the airbox. If I did, I would likely go that route.

I understand the coolness of the pods and their supposed boost to performance, but I fall in the camp that the original engineers knew what they were doing and did what they did for a reason. So I am going to compile some information and search for the part. Thank you all for your information. This is has been super helpful

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
loudhvx over at KZ-Rider has a ton of info about the 550 & the TK22 carburetors.

The pods filters might give more power at certain rpms, but not others. The stock airbox provides a stable air intake environment, so the motorcycle's performance is good over a wider range of rpms.

Stock airbox. New airbox ducts are still available for the 550A/C models & maybe the stock air filter. check Partzilla & Z1Enterprises dot com. You might be able to find a good airbox on EB >> I would only get one that has the cap >> the cap is typically hard to find on some models.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts