Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1975 Z1 900. There is a "dangling" yellow w/red stripe wire inside the L/H aft engine cover. It breaks out of the harness directly under the starter. It has a terminal lug on the end and is taped up.
I have owned the bike since new and never noticed it.
Anyone know what it is?

Thanks!

·
Obfuscation Engineer
6,708 Posts
There are only five wires that I remember coming out of that area . Three are the output of the stator , obvious by the high temp insulation and common color usually yellow . The other two are the neutral switch and oil pressure sensor . The neutral is green/blue or blue/red (don't remember) and oil sender is the other . I don't have one here at the moment to check and the diagram included is (no surprise) a bit indistinct . '75 is a bit early for side stand switch but it may have been present in that harness and not connected . If you ground the wire and attempt to put it in gear and it dies you may have found out what it was meant for . I say may have as there may be neutral switch tie ins from that option that I don't remember . I'll shamelessly ho' out the memories of ELR658 who spent a longer period of time in dealer service than I did and Zorro who owns a later 1015 shaftie as well as Mfolks who is a wealth of aircooler information .
Steell also has and works on these and may have an example to look at .
http://www.kawa-z1.de/data/wiring/us/KZ900-75-76.jpg
P.S. get a factory manual . They pop up on evilbay from time to time .

~kop

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
I have a 1975 Z1 900. There is a "dangling" yellow w/red stripe wire inside the L/H aft engine cover. It breaks out of the harness directly under the starter. It has a terminal lug on the end and is taped up.
I have owned the bike since new and never noticed it.
Anyone know what it is?

Thanks!
Kopcicle your memory serves correct!(Blue/Red oil switch)(Green/Red neutral switch). 75s were transition bikes as this is the year the "KZ" was born.The only "Yellow/Red" wires on any of Z1s or the KZs serve the ignition coils from the emergency stop switch and the starter button. The only other place on my diagrams where Yellow/Red show up is at the dimmer switch to the headlight.Red/Yellow or Yellow/Red was used later with the resisters.What puzzles me is Mudbone has indicated that hes owned the bike since new so that taped wire would have come from the factory. My "guess" is that its an auxiliary lead. Test it with a test light to see if its hot when the key and headlight are on and dead when the they are off.:confused:Its not in these (Clymer) diagrams. :santa: Cheers!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.