Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Guilty By Association
650 Posts
I had a snake hit me once.....fell outta a tree and coiled up around my arm. I am not usually afraid of snakes, but when it "dropped in" to say hi, i was startled to say the least!!!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I had a close encounter with an indecisive suicidal squirrel. At the last minute he decided he didn't want to feel my front tire squish his little head and body. Other than that, just bugs so far.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Over here in Orlando we have insects called love bugs and during this time of the year there are literally millions flying around. They can plaster your visor really quick if you dont get down behind ur windscreen. They sting like heck whe they hit ur skin too.
Same here in Texas. Just had a few battles with hornets, and june bugs. Those are a mother going 70+. Thank goodness for wind shields, and and full face helmets with visors.

·
Registered
511 Posts
other than 3,000,000 flies last summer, didnt hit much else really :)

Oh hang on, on the autobahn at 160kmh+ I got a beetle right smack in the middle of my visor ... that was gooey !

Got a wasp in my suit last summer too ,, stung my 8 or 9 times befor I could squash it with an elbow :)

·
Dirty Old Man in Training
69 Posts
Many deer, ****, possum, and skunks around here. I've been pretty good at dodging them. Worse deer scenario was when a reasonably sized family unit of em frakking exploded from the treeline and swarmed across right where I was riding. Talk about zero reaction time. I saw them magically appear around me, had one thought "Well, I'm dead now", and then it was over. About a mile down the road I pulled over for a bit until the shakes went away. As close as I've ever come to doing something I haven't done since the diaper days.

Infinity + 1 bugs over the years, but only 3 memorable ones. The stinging thing that flew into my full face when the visor was up and started stinging my ear and neck. Two junebugs on the highway. #1 I caught in the shoulder and thought for a minute some crazy was on an overpass shooting people. # 2 I was going a mite faster than the posted speed limit and if it ricocheted off the bottom of my visor into my forehead. Pain, bug guts, and blood, oh my.

·
Obfuscation Engineer
6,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I ask every once in a while just to see what species we are endangering besides ourselves . Although pictures are not encouraged ....

~kop

·
Obfuscation Engineer
6,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
You don't seriously expect me to comment in public ...

~kop

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've seen lots of squirrels run across the road and seen quite a few deer on my road though thankfully I haven't hit one yet and I keep a very close watch on the sides of the road for them. My worst was last summer where I had about three different instances of wasps either getting down my jacket or in my helmet and stinging my neck and shoulders. Other than that just the regular million bugs that I have cleaned off my visor and jacket. Every now and then I take a big beetle to the knuckles or neck which always feels nice at highway speed.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I had a Robin hit my front Brake reservoir at 65mph...covered me in blood and guts! Rode back to the house to clean up and change...walked in and the old lady flipped out...she thought i had wrecked!!! CLASSIC!!!

·
Obfuscation Engineer
6,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I ask every once in a while just to see what species we are endangering besides ourselves . Although pictures are not encouraged ....

~kop

·
Super Moderator
11,084 Posts
I think the last critter I hit was a bat. It flew between the right mirror and the windshield and missed me though it did cause a pucker moment. Found it the next morning dead and wedged in the plastic tail rack I had. That was 3 or 4 yrs ago, don't think I've hit anything since.

·
Politicians' Nightmare
1,871 Posts
About 50 years riding and apart from a lot of bugs have only nailed one crow - flew into my crash bar. Have managed to avoid deer, raccoons, skunks, ground squirrels, a few snakes,, even a few errant humans, etc. Touch wood!

·
Registered
300 Posts
In my 29 years of riding, the only thing I've hit other than bugs is a headstone in a cemetery after some POS hit me from behind at about 1 am after work.

If i want bike related stupidity, i'll talk to my ol lady.
Jim
1979 kz1000b

·
Thread Killer
1,053 Posts
Dunno how i missed this one the first time. Had to read the thread right through to be sure I hadn't posted in it already, ha.

Okay...

Groundhogs.
My nemesis, and not just because of the perpetual battle over my garden.
Hit a few, managed to swerve to avoid others.

Skunks.
I've managed so far to not actually hit one.
Few things are quite so...hmm..exciting (?) as to suddenly see one right in front of you and to miss it somehow.
You ride on with the stench in your nostrils, congratulating yourself on your good luck...this time.

Squirrels.
You swerve to miss it, and it suddenly darts the same way...
Oh well, at least they're relatively small. You'd have to be going pretty fast for a squirrel to make you dump your bike.

Chipmunks.
Like squirrels, only more so.

Possums.
They're slow, light colored, they don't change direction suddenly like squirrels...why is it so easy to hit one?
Pretty big ka-thump when you run over one...more so than a groundhog, which are lower to the ground, ha.

Raccoons.
I've been spared...so far. That would be bad at any speed. Dangerous if going fast.

Snakes.
Exciting, but not especially dangerous, unless in your fright you manage to dump the bike.
Poisonous snakes striking at a few members notwithstanding. "At", but not quite connecting any important parts, mind you.
Anyway, the odds gotta be pretty low...
Now, if someone has run over a Burmese Python in South Florida, that would be an interesting (!) story.

Dogs.
I've been spared.

Pheasants.
Why do they fly up and try to race you? And THEN...fly across your line of travel?
Yeah, I kissed a pheasant's butt once while wearing a half helmet.
It was only funny later...

Bugs.
Of course.
Big beetles...ouch! Wasps have a way of getting into your clothing or alongside your helmet..
And then...you know what comes next.

Deer.
That's the biggie, stories of cows and moose (mooses?) notwithstanding.
Had some close calls, but haven't hit one, Thank God.

Funny thread, thanks for starting it. May it continue a long time.

·
Obfuscation Engineer
6,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
...So it's time to see how the totals for the season to date have accumulated

...bump

·
Obfuscation Engineer
6,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·

I'll start .

Two halves of a raccoon . Hit it broadside at 70
Found just the head of a rattlesnake attached to the back of my leather pants at the ankle and the rear inner fender covered with snake guts .
An ostrich . I got down to 10-15 mph but there was oncoming traffic and I couldn't swerve . The ostrich actually attacked me from about ten feet . I was laughing so hard I fell down @ 0 mph .
A 15" trout . Don't ask I have no idea .
A bullfrog . Several pounds worth dead center of the windscreen
Two dogs . Both survived .
Who needs a deer tag ? I'm at least as accurate with a bike as a rifle . Filled three tags with the bike in 30 years .
An elk . I lost . Even though it grew back it left a few permanent marks . Cow jumped into the right front of the bike . I was going near 50 leaned into a right hander . I got tangled up in the bike's highside and cartwheeled a bit . I did get the meat though . Some of my meat might have been in the burger ...

~kop
and , bump

61 - 80 of 81 Posts