Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
I love lamp.
7 Posts
I have a Lowrance XOG and have been pretty happy with it. Plays MP3 and has a headphone out. If you want to get off your wallet I think the Garmin Zumo line is where it's at.

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
Really depends on how much functionality you want, and how much you want to pay.

Most of us will recommend a Garmin above almost all else. But there are other good brands out there as well.

Do you just need one that will go point-A to point-B? Do you want route planning for specific roads? Need to upload maps and routs from your computer? Wanna play music/video from it as well? All this is gonna depend on how much you wanna pay.

·
Winter Warrior
132 Posts
got the garmin nuvi 1200 for 90 bucks brand new, and put it on a ram mount this weekend. sucker is rock solid, easy to see in the daytime, and i can operate it with my big old gerbing heated gloves on.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Garmin has the most complete options for mapping software. I'm on my second (the first was stolen). I used to have a Quest which was awesome and after it was "borrowed" from our jeep I bought a basic Nuvi. it's ok, but lacks the ability to load premade maps from the Garmin Mapsource software. I can load poi's into it from Mapsourse, just not a complete route.

I would like to find another Quest for the motorbike at some point (when funds allow) and just keep the Nuvi for the Jeep.

Personally I wouldn't look at anything other than a Garmin product, even if you do'nt think you will utilize different types of mapsets for now (ie:topographical maps), it will offer you the ability to locate different types of mapsets down the road.

I have both the standard North America mapset and the Topographical Canada V4 loaded into my Nuvi.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
OK On the mapping software from Garmin is that an "extra" or standard when you buy the unit. I need pretty basic I guess. Dont care about playing tunes out of it. Dont need blue tooth, but would like to download a map from like google or Microsoft streets and maps and load it up on GPS. Also would like the larger screen I think for the bike especially. Zumos are just to far out there price wise for me.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
I have one of the lower models from Navigon and very happy with it. It has the 3d view, walking and cycling options too. It has all of the features the big dogs have at a third of the price.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
OK On the mapping software from Garmin is that an "extra" or standard when you buy the unit. I need pretty basic I guess. Dont care about playing tunes out of it. Dont need blue tooth, but would like to download a map from like google or Microsoft streets and maps and load it up on GPS. Also would like the larger screen I think for the bike especially. Zumos are just to far out there price wise for me.
You can download the Mapsource from Garmin, it works similar to a Google Map or the like. You can add points of interest, and again on some models create actual routes, on your computer...thne transfer them to your gps.

·
Registered
131 Posts
just bought a garmin 760, and ram mount. havnt had time to try it out yet, but I think its going to work out pretty good, especially when I head to the Dragon again this year. I will use it more for finding gas stations, hotels and places to eat more than my way around.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mine is the Garmin Zumo 550 (the newest is the 660). The quality of the unit, RAM mount and Garmin service/support make it worth every dime.

·
Love my 1500!
2,460 Posts
I have the Garmin 750 with a RAM mount, plays mp3s and is is easy to see and operate, even with gloves on. Have not had a chance to use it on a long trip yet, but so far I'm happy with it.

·
Super Moderator
10,875 Posts
I recently bought a Garmin nuvi 780. Bluetooth so I can see when someone calls. headphone jack so I can hear the directions on the bike, plays mp3, (interrupts music, gives directions, resumes music), and fm transmitter for use in vehicles with a receiver. Waiting on ram mount stuff to be delivered for the bike, but I'm really happy with it in my pickup.

edit: I found this thread very helpful.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Thanks for the info guys n gals. Really not sure what the heck I'm going to do. Pretty sure I'm not going to spend more for a GPS than I am for a fairing though. As of now looking at putting a fairing (bat wing) that will accept a stero set up in it. Due to cost I dont see a bluetooth or intercom system in the future either. If I get one should I just make sure it has a jack for external speakers? Or how would you make it play directions on the bike stereo? Do I need to make sure the radio I buy has some sort of Bluetooth connectivity?
Also on screen size. Do you notice a large difference between what is it 3.5 and the next size up I think its like 4 or 4.2 or something? I mean if there is not a big difference I think you can get one of the smaller screen jobs with more bells and whistles for less $$ than a stripper model with bigger screen. Not that I need one that will out techknowlgy me. (that wont be a hard feat)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Thanks for the info guys n gals. Really not sure what the heck I'm going to do. Pretty sure I'm not going to spend more for a GPS than I am for a fairing though. As of now looking at putting a fairing (bat wing) that will accept a stero set up in it. Due to cost I dont see a bluetooth or intercom system in the future either. If I get one should I just make sure it has a jack for external speakers? Or how would you make it play directions on the bike stereo? Do I need to make sure the radio I buy has some sort of Bluetooth connectivity?
Also on screen size. Do you notice a large difference between what is it 3.5 and the next size up I think its like 4 or 4.2 or something? I mean if there is not a big difference I think you can get one of the smaller screen jobs with more bells and whistles for less $$ than a stripper model with bigger screen. Not that I need one that will out techknowlgy me. (that wont be a hard feat)

This is my .02: If you eventually want an intercom/stereo system and the only reason you're considering a fairing is for a stereo system, I'd forgo the fairing and purchase an intercom Bluetooth system which can play FM, MP3 and connect with your GPS. Now, the sales pitch for that system would be the Scala Rider Q2 or the new G4. No, I don't work for Scala but I do have the system and it's outstanding, IMO, and you'll discover others who have it offer the same opinion. If you want a fairing to enhance the aesthetics of the bike, reduce wind or add other accessories with it, then by all means, go for it and add the stereo, otherwise, go with an internal system.

As for the GPS screen size, for me, it makes a world of difference. Though, for others, it may not and most of it could be due to eyesight. As we age, it is well known the eyes require more help and hitting that special age, we eventually need those readers for near object. The bigger screen size helps when you can't put on those readers while riding. To add, the voice direction of the GPS helps when it announces the next turn and reduces the need to focus on the screen.

The bottom line is pick what you want for you. Do your homework. Keep an open mind of products and compare options. Think outside the box. Once you find what you think will work, go for the plunge. Hell, it's only money :tongue:.

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
I went cheapo. I got a refurb Garmin Quest II on Ebay and a Ram mount. Works well for what I need it for--and I think I have about $150 invested.

I still can't fathom the pricing on the Zumo line, but apparently folks are willing to pay for them.

I got a Tom Tom One XL about 8 months ago for $120 for car use----speaks street names, widescreen, does way more than I will ever need. I don't see how some waterproofing makes a GPS worth so much more.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Garmin Nuvi 205 on sale at Wal-mart and a handlebar mount/direct wire kit from Amazon.com.......I'm good to go......Wizard

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Thanks Meanie for the info. Pretty much think I want the fairing for wind, noise reduction. I really liked my old Custom Dresser full frame mount fairing, or my Vetter, but no one makes that type anymore that I can find. So this is what I have. As far as the radio, its kind of an after thought. For the money it aint that much more to get one I can put some tunes into.
On the peepers I'm with ya. I had to have my sunglasses made with readers in them so I can read the spedo. I would probably have to agree that a bigger screen would be better. Currently I have used my Instenct phone for the GPS on it. It is not to bad but not a terribly quick about getting you info. About a 1/3 of the time I'm past the intersection it wants me to turn at. It works OK in a pinch or to find some place to eat, but for navagating around it is so so at best. Handy but I wouldnt want to rely on it for accuracy.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts