Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Riding daily
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have $150 and I want to buy a jacket. What should I get? I have looked at several different kinds. What is better leather or armor. Give your thoughts and opinions.
Thanks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Check out cruiser customizing I bought this denim jacket and its awesome for the money removable armour and liner. I have both leather (no armour) and a textile (armoured Joe Rocket) jacket. I like them both, but I am sure I will be wearing the Cortech the most often now that I have it.

Cortech DSX Denim Jacket

·
jerkybear's Vulcan
418 Posts
900Classic, depends on what you want from a jacket. I,like VN2000D6F, have 2 jackets. I have a classic style heavy leather jacket, and a cordura jacket with armour. Jafrum.com has some great deals on jackets. I bought my leather jacket from Leatherup.com, but I don't recommend them to anyone. When you check their feedback, everything is 4 and 5 stars. The reason is if you give anything less than 4 stars it doesn't leave the feedback. They trick people with their erroneous feedback. I don't recommend them, because I bought the leather jacket and it is a very heavy leather jacket, but it is just patched together with different types of leather. One sleeve has a nice full grain look and the other sleeve has a suede look to it. It looked okay out of the box, but after the first ride, it looked like crap. I could not return it due to having taken the tags off. I do recommend Jafrum.com. Hope this long winded answer helped.

·
jerkybear's Vulcan
418 Posts
I'm glad you had a good experience with them. But when I tried to post 3 stars, give a honest feedback, and they throw it out. There is something wrong. The jacket is heavy, comfortable and protective, but looks like crap. Just check the feedback on any of their products, nothing less than 4 stars. I'm sorry, but no one can make everyone happy.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Leather offers the best abraision protection, but it can be hot.

I have a firstgear leather jacket that has pockets for armor. It has vents to make it cooler when the weather gets warm. However, even with vents it is too hot for the North Carolina summers. For the heat (85 degrees and up) I have a Firstgear armored mesh jacket. The armor that came with the mesh jacket also fits the pockets on the leather jacket.

When possible, I use the leather jacket as it offers better protection and also looks better.

·
Recycled Rider
583 Posts
With it being winter, you might be able to go to a dealer and be able to try some jackets on while also getting a decent price (though limited selection).
I got a really good deal on a Z1 leather jacket that way.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
I am sorry to report that there is no ONE jacket that does it all well :cool: At least I have not found it. Perhaps if I lived in a far norther climate things would be different, but here in TX you gotta have a mesh air jacket, a warm water proof jacket, and of course a look at me I'm so cool leather jacket :D

So if your honest and know you won't be able to live with just one AND you still can only scrape up $150 you are pretty limited. I've purchased a few from leatherup.com and yes you need to get it right the first time becuase they are a pain to deal with after the sale -be sure not to remove those tags until you know you like it. I got a very good quality heavy leather jacket from jammin' leather (google it) and it cost $140, no complaints on that one other than be sure to order one size bigger than you normal do. The textile jackets (with armor) from leatherup are probably their best value and the leather chaps they sell are fine for that job...

Heck if you are wearing large to extra large, I could sell you a couple jackets in perfect condition at a real bargain (as I recently lost alot of weight and don't need em anymore). email me at: [email protected] if interested...

·
Live Long & Prosper
556 Posts
I have $150 and I want to buy a jacket. What should I get? I have looked at several different kinds. What is better leather or armor. Give your thoughts and opinions.
Thanks!
I too have a couple of jackets, one leather and one mesh with armor. Depending on the weather you ride in you might find that the mesh jacket (with removable waterproof liner) may cover the majority of your needs. On warmer days you ride w/o the liner and wear a light shirt underneath. On colder days put on warmer clothing and put the liner back in the jacket. Since you can adjust the total warmth via clothing you wear underneath, you can cover a wide temperature range with the mesh jacket. My leather jacket is too warm, even with light clothing and the thinsulate liner out of the jacket, at temps above 60 degrees.

My mesh jacket is a Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 and I wear it far more often than my leather jacket. Then again, I do live in FL and have a windshield on the Nomad.

·
Every day is a good ride
1,895 Posts
Aifwikir, I just took a look at the leather up web site and Woaaa. The prices are the best I have ever seen.

900Classic. When selecting make sure the jacket in the photo shows a curve in the arms. If the arms look straight then it was not intended for motorcycles.

·
'01 1500 Classic FI
1,163 Posts
Thanks!
I replaced my Hein-Gericke V-Pilot leather jacket with the FirstGear "Mesh-Tex 3.0" Mesh Jacket from New Enough Motorcycle Apparel sells motorcycle jackets, pants and suits, boots, gloves, helmets, etc :: New Enough Motorcycle Apparel and am very happy with it. I keep the removable liner in during colder days. Heavy leather jackets feel heavier and heavier on hot days. It's on sale for about $120 right now.

·
One of Four
1,231 Posts
I'd say it all depends on the riding season. I have a light leather jacket from leather up and a heavy leather jacket from a local store. I also have a mesh Tourmaster jacket with Armour called the Intake jacket. It's mesh with a waterproof/windproof liner and a quilted liner. The Intake was first jacket and is the most versatile of the 3. I would go with something like that if it's your only motorcycle jacket. It cost around $125.00.

BTW- The leatherup jacket was about $100, it's not that great of leather jacket. The leather is thin and I'd say it wouldn't hold up well in a crash but it is light.

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
I started out w/ a firstgear mesh jacket, then bought a heavy Unik Ultra touring leather jacket.
Get one with a removable liner and zippered vents in the front & back and leather's fine. 100 degrees is hot regardless of what you're wearing.
Jafrum's has jackets that look identical to the Unik's for way less than anyplace else.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I love Joe Rocket jackets and I probably will never buy any other brand at this time. I have one of each: leather and mesh. Depending on the shape of your body and shoulders, Joe Rocket may not be the right jacket for you. To me it just fits perfect in a riding position. From all of the above posts, members had given you a lot of choices so make sure you try them on before keeping it for a long time.

Have fun shopping.

·
NXT Wax Inhaler
822 Posts
I've got the FirstGear "Mesh-Tex 3.0" Mesh Jacket as well. Got it in May when I bought my bike from the dealer for $100. With the liner and a long sleeve sweatshirt it's good down to 60 degrees for me and I've worn it in 100 degree weather as well, no problem. If it had a thinsulate liner it would be good down to 50 degrees or so. I've got an armoured leather jacket I received as a gift from someone who wasn't using it on another forum. I have yet to be cold in it, but 40 degrees is the coldest I've ridden in. I recently got some of the premium naked leather chaps from Leatherup ($100 on sale) and they are pretty nice for the money--look good, seem to be built fairly well, and do what they were made for.

A good bet is to look around for a local supply. Then you can try them on, because I never found a leather jacket here that fit me right or that I liked that was in my limited price range.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
... 100 degrees is hot regardless of what you're wearing...
So true. And from what I see on the roads in my area, NObody wears a jacket of ANY kind at those temps. Its sad but true, and most think I'm the safety nutjob since I'm the only one wearing a helment in the summer around here :frown:

·
AMA NRA LIBERTARIAN
723 Posts
So true. And from what I see on the roads in my area, NObody wears a jacket of ANY kind at those temps. Its sad but true, and most think I'm the safety nutjob since I'm the only one wearing a helment in the summer around here :frown:
Exactly. The best armour is full leathers with Armour but I don't own it
because I would rarely wear it. You need to figure out what you would
really wear and then buy it. With your budget I would suggest buying
a good mesh jacket with armour and promise yourself you will always
wear it. You can always put somthing over it when its cold or under it.
I have never lived in Utah but I would guess it gets pretty hot there for
leather. Even if its vented.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts