Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 96 EX500 and I'm wondering just how far I can go on a tank of gas. How big is the tank anyways? I'd like to be able to ride out to phoenix from San Diego every once in a while, but dont wanna run out somewhere in the desolate desert. Could you make it 200 miles on the freeway with a little to spare?

Dallas

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
although it depends how fast you go... I know when I'm on the interstate I'm going about 95 indicated to stay a little ahead of traffice (no one in this state ever goes below 85 I'm pretty sure), I start to get on my reserve between 140-150.

B

·
0 Posts
4.7 Gallons for my 90 EX500, and I'm pretty sure they have the same tank capacity

If you go 220 miles and used 4.7 gallons then you get 46.8 mpg

Just set you tripometer to zero before you fill up, then the next time you fill up divide the number of miles on your trip with the amount of gallons you put in.
Miles / gallons

Just thought I'd includ that for the mathmatically challenged

·
Registered
512 Posts
i usually fill up at every 100 miles just to be safe. i have made it 198 but i sputtered to the gas station tho.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My J2 has got an 18 litre tank with, I think, about four litres in reserve and I got 120 miles town riding (30 and 40mph town roads and some 60mph country roads) when I had to switch to reserve, and if I recall I pretty much filled the tank up prior to that mileage.

·
Registered
30 Posts
reserve is needed from 175 to 200 miles, usually 190 for me. After that i've never went more then 20 miles. When i fill it though i usually do right up to the top. If i'm filling it up i'm not sitting for long so i say screw the 10% of space ****.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I had an interesting experience a few years ago. When I first got my ZX7 I changed the spark plugs and had taken the tank off and clamped off the fuel lines. I put it back on and it worked great. I was riding around and I wanted to find the range it had before switching to reserve. I didn't have a lot of time to ride so it took a few days to do it. I was on my way to a near by town to look at a truck I wanted to buy and I expected to have to switch it on the way there. I got into down and I noticed it wasn't taking off so well anymore and I heard it starting to spudder. So I switch over to reserve and it was still doing it so I pulled off to the side and was trying to start it. I got it going and then it died again. So I pulled on to a side road and tried to start it some more. No way it was going to start. Turns out I had reversed the fuel lines when I put them back on :-? Luckly I was only about 75 feet from a gas station so I pushed it across the road and fueled it back up. I'm glad it happened there, hehe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts