Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
4000 miles & counting...
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
::: what length Progressive shocks? (meanie)

hey,

i'm looking to lower my 2007 MS a bit, so that i sit a little lower behind my clearview windshield. (i'm 6'4" w/ long-torso) i thought that if i was an inch lower, that would be about right, so what length progressive 412/440 shocks should i buy? what length are stock shocks? should i get the heavy duty versions? (i'm 225 lbs.)

thanks

UPDATE: i just bought a Corbin young guns seat, so that should lower me about an inch.

·
Registered
180 Posts
i got the 12 inchers. it will lower you approximately 1-1/2 inches. i say the lower the better at least in the looks department. oh i got the 440 series so the lowest they have those are the 12's, however the 412 series comes in the 11.5, my brother got these and they sit approximately 1/2 inch lower, not much difference that i can see so i think i benefit from the extra 1/2 inch of suspension travel.

here are some pics:
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
4000 miles & counting...
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info. what's the difference between the 412s and 440s ?

do you like your corbin seat? does it sit lower or more forward than stock?

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Parts Unlimited Catalogs are on line for your viewing pleasure. They will tell you the difference in each of the shocks.

·
4000 miles & counting...
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Parts Unlimited Catalogs are on line for your viewing pleasure. They will tell you the difference in each of the shocks.
didn't really find much info in there describing the differences.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
thanks for the info. what's the difference between the 412s and 440s ?

do you like your corbin seat? does it sit lower or more forward than stock?
I had the 12" Progressive 412 heavy duty's on my old Mean Streak, and it was a "solid" ride to say the least. I'm 6'2" and weigh 200 pounds and in hindsight the HD ones were way overkill. Rode like a hardtail almost.

They say the stock shocks are 13", but when I put the 12" 412's on , it lowered the non-ride height 1.5".

·
4000 miles & counting...
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the 12" Progressive 412 heavy duty's on my old Mean Streak, and it was a "solid" ride to say the least. I'm 6'2" and weigh 200 pounds and in hindsight the HD ones were way overkill. Rode like a hardtail almost.

They say the stock shocks are 13", but when I put the 12" 412's on , it lowered the non-ride height 1.5".
hmmm... i thought the 13.5" ones were supposed to be the stock length.

thanks for the info. i'm thinking about getting the 440s just because i always gravitate towards the more expensive option! anyway, i'm now wondering if i should get the HD or standard variety.

anyone else have any input on which 440 length to get? i want it to be a bit lower, but i don't want to be grinding off my pipes & pegs either.

thanks

·
4000 miles & counting...
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i got the 12 inchers. it will lower you approximately 1-1/2 inches. i say the lower the better at least in the looks department. oh i got the 440 series so the lowest they have those are the 12's, however the 412 series comes in the 11.5, my brother got these and they sit approximately 1/2 inch lower, not much difference that i can see so i think i benefit from the extra 1/2 inch of suspension travel.
did you get the Heavy Duty version or standard?

thx

·
Registered
180 Posts
did you get the Heavy Duty version or standard?

thx
i got the standard. i weigh 195 lbs and i ride two up alot also and my wife weighs 170 lbs. i've had no issues with bottoming out but i do touch down my pegs earlier than when i had the stock length shocks, i just don't enter the turns as fast as i use too.

·
4000 miles & counting...
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i got the standard. i weigh 195 lbs and i ride two up alot also and my wife weighs 170 lbs. i've had no issues with bottoming out but i do touch down my pegs earlier than when i had the stock length shocks, i just don't enter the turns as fast as i use too.
yeah, i'm thinking about getting the standard 12.5 inch 440s.

·
4000 miles & counting...
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i went ahead and ordered the 12.5" 440 standard duty shocks. i'll post pictures once installed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts