Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you using in you Nomads? Ran the cheap stuff, (regular) in my last bike and did not have any problems, how bad does the Nomad need 90 Octane ?

·
What can I spend my $$ on
619 Posts
Run the lowest grade you can without knockin or pinging.

·
Pass Me Safely!
72 Posts
Middle Grade now. I use to run the cheap stuff and I noticed that I picked up a couple of more miles per gallon using the middle grade. No problems running the cheap stuff but I think I will stick with the middle grade.

·
Ridden like a Ford!
4,063 Posts
it seems that they want you to run the higher octane due to the lean mixture the factory is running thanks to the EPA. i have a PCIII and i am now running mid-grade. some of the other riders inhere are running regular and havent had any problems

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
Its all about pinging. If your bike is doing that then you should stick with 90+.

Now how many new Nomad riders would know a ping from all the other noises coming off these Kawasaki Vtwins ? There's the rub...

Basically, I tell folks if you go with midgrade on a stock bike, and don't lug the engine especially on hot days then you'll be fine. To avoid lugging the engine get in the habit of not upshifting to 4rth till the speedo shows 50+, and again wait until the speedo hits 70+ before going to 5th. And by hot days I mean 80F+...

All that advice assumes a stock bike. If you add a PCIII or other fuel chip and perhaps more open pipes you can get the bike out of that factory lean condition and probably start running regular...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts