Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Take it to the Limit
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious, if money or availablity was not object, what brand, type and weight of MC oil would you use..Why?

I ask as my local dealer carries Amsoil which is about $2 more than the Mobile V-twin 20W-50 that I get at Wally World.. Is the extra $2 a quart worth it?

·
Loving this bike
586 Posts
I've been using Valvoline because it is cheap BUT ALSO because Advance Auto carries it. In the past I used Amsoil, but it was a pain to always have to mail order and buy in case lots. So it's as much about convenience as price for me. I'd probably buy Golden Spectro from my local dealer if the cost wasn't an object.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Amsoil 10W-40 Motorcycle Oil. Just a bit too pricey for me (either you pay a huge markup at the cycle shops or pay the same amount for shipping from Amsoil...you can't win) so I'm using Castrol Syntec 10W-40, which I'm sure is fine for a V-twin cruiser.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I can get the amsoil here for 9.95 ust to be 8.95....wally world v twin, which I use to use, was 8.95...but never seems to have it and when they do it would be just 2 quarts...

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I'd use synthetic oil and demand to pay $20 dollars/quart. Valvoline or Mobil 1 are my top choices.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Amsoil is the best. Do your own research. Facts don't lie.
Money no object, Amsoil.

A Study of Motorcycle oils

AMSOIL Synthetic Motorcycle Oil
Yeah that's not a biased review. Sorry I don't trust the makers review of their own oils. 3rd party not being paid by the maker maybe.

+1 on Castrol Syn. I use that myself. Can get it on sale quite often for $4 a quart. But oil is oil is oil doesn't matter what you use just how often you change it. We've talked about that before. You should know that by now.

·
Ride it! 100% Poser
234 Posts
You might want to look into RotellaT Synthetic 10-40. $15.00 gal at WalMart. I has the same quality additive packages as Amsoil, and provides the same service. Look into it....

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have to admit, if money were no object,
I wouldn't care what kind of oil "my personal mechanic" put in my "fleet" of motorcycles, or my vintage hotrods, jet planes, yahts, or helicopters.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Well, I am running the oil that I would use if money was not an object. I will only put about 6-8000 miles a year on this bike (1600 Classic) so therefore I am currently running Amsoil 10w40 and I will only change the oil twice a year. It is about 12 dollars a bottle around here and it is very easy to find.

On a side note, I do believe that synthetics offer better engine protection but when I switched to synthetic oil I did not notice any difference in performance…nothing; the engine sounds the same, it shifts the same, the motor is not running cooler and the bike does not wake up early to cook and serve me breakfast.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I have to admit, if money were no object,
I wouldn't care what kind of oil "my personal mechanic" put in my "fleet" of motorcycles, or my vintage hotrods, jet planes, yahts, or helicopters.
If money were no object I wouldn't even bother with changing oil period. Just go trade it in when it's time.

My father-in-law works for a car dealership and changes his cars about as often as I wash mine. I finally wised up and made the comment it was time for an oil change and in all seriousness he said it was.

My grandfather used to lease all his cars never bought a set of tires in his life.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would hire nerdy teenagers to milk their facial oils. Superior lubrication and eliminates engine gunk.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Imho

There is soooooo much hype about oils and costs differences. If money were no object . . . . I could care less. I change it with a good mfg recommended lubricant and go on my way. All the charts, graphs and cutaway pics out there can't change 50+ years of knowing that I would be pretty much wasting my money by changing oil more often than recommended or paying $12 a quart. But hey! if it makes you feel better then you should do it I say.:rolleyes:

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
I use the Kawasaki synth. Works good, not as high as some, and they better not tell me it will void the warranty. ;)

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Money AND availability no object?
Either one... Amsoil MCV or Mobil-1 V-Twin.

Amsoil buys their base stocks from Mobil, but their additive package is different.
Amsoil has about 48% less moly, 100% less boron (212ppm in M1), 15% more calcium (that's good), and 31% less phosphorous and 27% less zinc (those are bad).

Does the calcium balance out the phosphorous and zinc? My wear metals are comparable in used oil samples between either one... it may in fact be a wash.

I would not pay more for one vs the other... I consider both oils to be of roughly equal quality... and certainly better than anything else I've tried.
Right now I've got a gallon jug of Amsoil in the garage because a local leather shop had it for $43 plus a 15% discount ($36.55 plus tax or about $9.85/qt).
Currently, Amsoil is in the bike. Over the last 32,000 miles, Amsoil has been in it for 9,000 miles and V-Twin has been in it for 14,000.
I WOULD have 4 bottles of V-Twin in the garage instead of the Amsoil but Autozone only had 2 quarts, and I happened to stop by the leather shop today so I grabbed a gallon while I was there.

Now... filters? At any cost, Mobil-1 all the way for all of my vehicles except my dirtbike.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts