Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Freakinout said:
I run Rotella-T 5w-40 full synthetic. you can get it at walmart for like $13USD for like 3.75 quarts.
Is that 5w-40 good for the winter too? I'm in college station, so we'll have similar winters.

Can you get the oil filter at walmart too?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey another biker from College Station :D. I also use the Shell Rotella 5w40. You will not have any problem with the winters down hear. I think the 5w40 is good down to about -36 degrees. Can't remember the exact temp right now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've been hearing some "make sure it's broken in really well before switching to full synthetic"...is 2000 miles and 1 year broken in enough? Just wanted to make sure.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
Erique23 said:
I've been hearing some "make sure it's broken in really well before switching to full synthetic"...is 2000 miles and 1 year broken in enough? Just wanted to make sure.
personally im gonna say "NO". i changed to semi-snyth at about 3500k on my first ZRX and it would eat about a pint of oil a couple times every 4k. im waiting till 5k on the zrx i have now to be safe. :wink:

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Erique23 said:
Freakinout said:
I run Rotella-T 5w-40 full synthetic. you can get it at walmart for like $13USD for like 3.75 quarts.
Is that 5w-40 good for the winter too? I'm in college station, so we'll have similar winters.

Can you get the oil filter at walmart too?
Yup, works quite well all year around.

Walmart sells a fram filter for the 500r, but I order mine off the net.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Napa Auto Parts also sells a filter for the Ninja 500R.

It is Napa part# 1358.

The filters are made by Wix and retail for less $$$ than you're going to pay at the Kawasaki dealership.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I noticed most of you use synthetic oils in your 500s - I have a 00 ex500 I bought used 3 months ago. it has 16K miles on it, however I don't think synthetic oil has been used in the engine up until now. is it too late to start using synthetic? if not, what is the best oil to use?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
It's not too late to start. I use Motorex 15-50, but I am riding in hotter weather most of the year. Full synthetic

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
oil

Seriously...you can go to a 100% synthetic an dgo a long ways with it as long as you are very true to changing the oil filter on a very regular routine. Changing it will replenish the oil and the oil will not break down like crude/dinosaur oil. I use AMSOIL 10-40, or I suppose Mobile 10-40 would be just as good. Something tha tif you are on the road you can get at a parts store should you need to change the oil...out in the country somewhere... Pensoil, castrol, just look at the racing ads for the bikes and you can make a guess as to what the big boys are racing with, knowing that they want the very best...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts