Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is good to me. She has booked flights from London to Vegas in mid March, with a rental Harley for a week riding Route 66 to L.A. Not having the time to do the whole east/west trip, I am doing the leg from Vegas. I would really appreciate some guidance/tips for this trip. I have visited the USA on several occasions. last year doing a west coast tour, but never on a bike. So guys, any advice?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Remember to stay on the right side of streets and Highways!!!:lol: :rolleyes: :arrow:

Seriously, no advice for that part of the country. Just enjoy it to the utmost.

And, that's some wife you have!

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
Mid-march is a pretty good time to be out there but it's still dry. Carry more water than you think you'll need.

·
Banned
880 Posts
holy crap! where do i find a wife like that???!!! Im not real sure how bad/hot itll be that time o year but like Jake said id think water and dress in layers. Id look into getting a Camelbak personally. If done right ( i load mine with tons of ice cubes) it can keep stuff cool in 100+ degree heat.
BTW thats an awesome quote there Jake, Gimli rocks!

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
She's a keeper for sure. That's a pretty darn nice Present. :D

Have fun, and stay on the correct side of the road while you're there.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
We have a bunch of people from the forum out there that might want to meet up with you! Rich, sdbrit (he'll make you feel at home!). If you want, look at the Rides/events section, they have a ride this month, and you can find all their names there.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
My wife is good to me. She has booked flights from London to Vegas in mid March, with a rental Harley for a week riding Route 66 to L.A. Not having the time to do the whole east/west trip, I am doing the leg from Vegas. I would really appreciate some guidance/tips for this trip. I have visited the USA on several occasions. last year doing a west coast tour, but never on a bike. So guys, any advice?
Advice: Trade the Harley for a Nomad!!! :D :D :D

·
Power Hungry V2K Rider
6,395 Posts
Mid March in the desert is an excellent time to ride. Temps should be comfortable during the day. It is the high desert and it can be quite cool to cold in the early mornings and very comfortable in the afternoons.

Suggest that you ride the back roads from Vegas to the Grand Canyon then grab 66 on to the LA area. 66 comes and goes across the Mojave, so be prepaired for some rough roads. You are one day from the CG in Vegas via Bolder Dam. So much to see.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Advice: Trade the Harley for a Nomad!!! :D :D :D
I ride an 05 1600 Nomad here in the UK, just bought a second Kaw, a Versys. Now, you wouldnt really suggest I tell my wife, nice thought sweetheart but I would prefer you rented me a Nomad.:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
My last trip with the family took me from L.A. to Vegas, Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Yosemite, San Francisco and Hawaii. This time it is just me and my wife, a bike and a week to go from Vegas to L.A. by whatever route that will give us the most fun. So, anyone in the area got a plan?

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
Mid March in the desert is an excellent time to ride. Temps should be comfortable during the day. It is the high desert and it can be quite cool to cold in the early mornings and very comfortable in the afternoons.

Suggest that you ride the back roads from Vegas to the Grand Canyon then grab 66 on to the LA area. 66 comes and goes across the Mojave, so be prepaired for some rough roads. You are one day from the CG in Vegas via Bolder Dam. So much to see.
That's what I was going to suggest. Route 66 is more of a random assortment of roads than an actual throughway. In some places, it never was fully paved and left to rot away as the interstates took over.

·
Registered
3 Posts
vegas to LA

If you are riding from vegas to LA it won't take a week no matter what route you take . You need to plan some other rides in the area. The Grand Canyou comes to mind, through death valley to the sierra nevada mountains and then south to LA. Get a map and have a plan so not to waste time wich way to go. Good luck with your trip and hope you enjoy your ride.
ps. You have a good wife to rent you a scoot for a week while on vacation.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to all who have given advice, I am listening to all of it and will be looking hard at plan for the week.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Vegas to Louisiana or Vegas to Los Angeles?

Vegas to Los Angeles is a 4-6 hour ride on the superslab.... For cool rides totalling 5-7 days? The sky's the limit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts