Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am going to start riding next month, and I really need a helmet. I have been looking around window shopping online and read some websites. I picked out two helmet brands which are Bell and Icon. I am stuck between these two. Any suggestion?
Which is better? I like these brands because of their affordable prices. Do you guys know any helmet out there that has the same price range but better? If possible, I prefer to try the helmet in person before making a purchase.

Any suggestion is appreciated! thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
1,177 Posts
I like Shoei helmets. Personally I look for a Snell certified helmet. When I used to road race, you were not allowed on the track without a Snell certified helmet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bell. Snell and DOT certified. Still can’t be on a track without a snell certified helmet. I just bought the Bell Race Star Flex Carbon. Super light and comfortable but a little on the pricey side. From what I know about Icon, it is a cheaper brand and nobody in my riding group has an Icon helmet. Their other products are pretty good though. I bought mine at cycle gear. Here’s the link to the helmet - Race Star Flex DLX | Bell Helmets
I think the Icon Stryker vest is one of the best selling products right now.

·
Super Moderator
10,837 Posts
I understand- newbie, price, etc.

Either one will protect you. The important thing is fitment and comfort. No need to spend $$$ now for a Shoei or Nolan or whatever. I've been riding for 40+ yrs and still don't use those. It's one of those things you learn with experience and by chatting with other folks. Do yourself a favor- save your money and get either of your choices.

As a teen, a Bell saved my noggin many times.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am going to start riding next month, and I really need a helmet. I have been looking around window shopping online and read some websites. I picked out two helmet brands which are Bell and Icon. I am stuck between these two. Any suggestion?
Which is better? I like these brands because of their affordable prices. Do you guys know any helmet out there that has the same price range but better? If possible, I prefer to try the helmet in person before making a purchase.

Adrian...I recently bought a half helmet (for the first time ever) and I would strongly recommend it (the Bell Pit Boss). Check ‘em out at Cycle Gear. The Pit Boss has a comfortable zip out ear liner and best feature of all...2 actually....are a hide away pull down sun visor (really good dark smoke color) that hides away inside the helmet shell when not in use and an adjustable dial knob in the back to custom fit the helmet to your head. Ever worn a hard hat??? Same type adjustment system. It’s also pretty light weight. It doesn’t have vents on the top for ventilation but quite honestly it really never gets uncomfortably warm on my head even with the temps lately being in the mid-90s. Oh yeah Cycle Gear has a demo video of the helmet that really impressed me and helped me in deciding on the Pit Boss. Good luck and safe riding!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Helmets are such a personal choice. You say you are new to motorcycling so the chances of having a mishap is elevated. I am one who believes that you buy the best helmet you can afford. There is a website I strongly recommend which is totally independent and provides safety information on just about all the helmets available. It has Icon and Bell helmets rated. SHARP - THE HELMET SAFETY SCHEME

·
Super Moderator
1,177 Posts
I have been riding for over 50 years and raced in motocross, ice-racing and road racing events. As Michael ZZR pointed out, as a new rider your chances of a mishap are elevated and I totally agree with his comments. But even an experienced rider like myself can find themselves in a situation where your helmet can save your life or save you from serious injury.

I recently had an accident where I thanked my lucky stars that I was wearing a high quality, full-face helmet. I was riding a back-country gravel road and a truck suddenly appeared in front of me. He was trying to make a left hand turn in front of me and I was travelling straight through and had the right of way. I could not see him approaching because of heavy woods. There was no time or opportunity to swerve and hard braking was the only option. I went down hard and was pinned under the bike as I slid on the gravel surface. My head slammed hard into the ground and as I slid for what like seemed forever, I was watching the rocks and gravel that were bouncing off my helmet and visor and I was just praying that the visor would hold.

Amazingly the visor did not fail and neither did the helmet, but here is my point. I was trapped and unable to even turn my head. I am not even sure why I could not turn my head, but I could not. If I had not had a full face helmet that day, I shudder to think of the consequences. I probably would not have much of a face left. Please bear this in mind when you make your helmet selection. Also when pricing quality helmets ask yourself; how much is my head and face worth?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts