Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying my first bike, now that I am almost out of vet school and can afford one, and I am wondering what I should get. I have ridden a little, probably once every couple of years, mainly dirt bikes. I like the cruiser style and look, but I am 6'4" and 230#. I want a bike i can be comfortable on and have enoughpower to go down the road. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
56 Posts
suggestion from a chic

Cruiser are for people in their 60's. Try a sport/cruiser, you'll be surprised. You're a big guy you could handle something like a Katana 600. I think the positioning is more comfortable on sport bikes than cruiser in general. You said you have some experience, but I would suggest taking the motorcycle rider's course anyways. A lot of the people in my class had 'some' experience, got on their bikes and proceeded to crash wthin the first day, then they decided to take the course. So more practice is better.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I am 6'2" and fit on the 500R, but those two more inches would completely mess it up. A katana 600 would fit you well, my ex-roomate had one. It had plenty of room to spare with me on it. You can get used ones of these pretty dern cheap too. They are easy to work on and considered a very good starter bike.

suzuki katana 600 (gsx600F) I'd suggest a pre-98, as they would be cheaper. but see what your budget it and make sure to take your MSF and budget out enough money for good gear. check out www.newenough.com for the gear and check out their closeouts and used gear, I've seen the used stuff they sell first hand and it could easly be repackaged and sold as new.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

big boy bikes:

vulcan,drifter,meanie,nomad - i would also say take the course first,but you don't have to be
60 to ride a cruiser - in fact i ride with some dudes with cruisers that will almost outrun my sporty(almost :lol: )no they are not sport bikes,not as fast,not as nimble,not as cheap
but if you want comfort for a 500 mile trip - can't beat em'
they are alot of good cruisers out there right now so shop around but kawi gonna be hard to beat imo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate all of the input, and I am planning on the safety course sometime in the spring. I have never really cared for the sport bikes, and my wife wants to ride with me quit a bit, which is another reason I opted for the cruiser. I was wondering though, with just having a little experience and then taking the MSF course, would I be better off with a smaller bike (vulcan 800), or going ahead and getting the bigger version (1500 classic).

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

if you plan on riding 2up for a distance with luggage and total weight will approach 400lb
then go with the nomad - its a workhorse than can handle that and much more-but you prolly should start with a more nimble bike in which case the classic 800 would fit the bill.
2up on this bike is no prob either just not the right bike for longer trips and loads of luggage.
these bikes are fantastic with their durability and smoothness.the 800 class is very affordable also-try to find a used 800 classic and get the feel of 2up riding for a while and you will definitly want to move up later to the larger scoot - good luck and ride safe!! :wink:

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I agree, start with an 800 and after a couple of seasons you can move up if you feel the need.

Although I risk getting flamed, IMHO in the 800 class, the Suzuki Volusia would be the bike to get.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you're going to be riding 2-up regularly you're going to want at least an 800 and both the Vulcan 800 or the Volusia would be good choices. Don't rule out Honda or Yamaha but be sure and stick with liquid cooled. Bottom line, get what feels best to you but don't let your choice be underpowered. Take the MSF course before you spend your money!

·
Registered
837 Posts
im 6.2" and me and my wife get on my 1500 vulcan.its good for both of us.sometimes i wish i would have just went ahead and bought the 1600 for a little more push.check out the mean streak too.**** thats a nice strong cruiser that has the looks too.......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts