Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering what most of you wear for a bucket??? I don't have a cruiser.....yet. I think the little beanie bucket's fit the "cruiser" image better than a full-faced helmet but I'm a little skeptical about the open-face do to bugs and such.

·
Registered
741 Posts
two-four said:
I'm just wondering what most of you wear for a bucket??? I don't have a cruiser.....yet. I think the little beanie bucket's fit the "cruiser" image better than a full-faced helmet but I'm a little skeptical about the open-face do to bugs and such.
Well, first you must decide whether your skid lid will be worn for "image" or to protect the skull & facial area in the event of a get-off. The litle beanies worn by some present an "image" to me....the image of a comatose vegetable taking his meals thru a straw forever. :cry:
Full face helmets are not a guarantee against injury but certainly reduce the odds. I know,Ive been there twice over the years.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I have two helmets - a Shoei RF-900 and an HJC AC-3. The Shoei is full face, and the HJC is open face. I prefer to wear the Shoei because it gives me more peace of mind against road debris, bugs, etc. I wear the HJC only when it's so hot that I can't stand the full face helmet.

Stay away from the brain buckets. Image isn't important, but your head is.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

a full face , a half helmet , a open face, a skid kid - i use them all :lol:

·
Registered
100 Posts
HJC Symax

Give the HJC Symax a look. I just got one. They are a full face, but the face plate as well as the entire jaw protection section flips up. For the money and your face, I'd go with a full face. When your used to it, you won't know the difference.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Full face cruising is so much fun, not only can you wear all black and a multicolored lid so people can see you but then you're the mysterious one...or just one to match the bike, it doesn't look weird at all and once you've been hit in the face shield by a rock you'll be happy you've chosen full faced.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I wear the beanie cuz I think it looks cool and fits that cruiser image. If I were all about safety I wouldn't own a Suzuki Hayabusa or a Mean Streak...I'd own a couple of Saab's and Volvo's.

BT Express
"Death is certain...Life is not!"

·
Registered
221 Posts
I wear a Nolan N100e, fullface flip up. When riding with friends I am always the odd one.. but safety is a concern.. if not for yourself, do it for the loved ones who care about you.

It does take something away from the open air feeling, and sux on hot humid days when you are stuck in traffic. But the bright side is: I can hear the voices in my head better.. :shock:

I keep a baseball cap in the saddlebag to cover my helmet-head when I reach my destination.

Enjoy,
-Ryan

·
Registered
458 Posts
Ken said:
I have two helmets - a Shoei RF-900 and an HJC AC-3. The Shoei is full face, and the HJC is open face. I prefer to wear the Shoei because it gives me more peace of mind against road debris, bugs, etc. I wear the HJC only when it's so hot that I can't stand the full face helmet.
Have you tried the optional flip up face shield? Keeps the bugs, rocks, etc. off your face and better get off protection, as well. Plenty of air flow.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Full face only for me, baby! I've got an HJC CL-14 and an HJC SyMax (flip-up). When it gets really, really hot, I crack the face shield open a click. In stop and go traffic, I flip the face shield all the way up. My husband goes helmetless (rides a Harley, what can I say?), and every ride he comes home with nicks from pebbles, and bug guts all over his face. NO THANKS!!!

Like Ryan said, I carry a baseball cap in my saddlebags to put on over helmet hair when I arrive at my destination. :D

·
Registered
458 Posts
screaminmeanie said:
My husband goes helmetless (rides a Harley, what can I say?), and every ride he comes home with nicks from pebbles, and bug guts all over his face. NO THANKS!!!
Nicks in his face? OUCH!!!! :shock:

The things SOME HD riders do to be coooool. :wink:

·
Registered
605 Posts
I buzz my hair every 2 weeks or so and have been doing so for 10 years of my 20 year lifespan so I don't get this thing you refer to as...the helmet hair :D

·
Registered
221 Posts
I don't think 'screaminmeanie' will be considering the buzz-cut..

And as long as I have hair growing, I'll keep it too.

Otherwise, I'd look like this Smiley: 8)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am a physician and a medical school professor, 55 years old. I see a lot of trauma that is preventable. I live in Mobile, AL, a fairly hot climate. I wear a full face helmet. When I stop in traffic I flip up the face shield and drop it into place before I start off again. My helmet is an Arai with multiple vents. When I am moving faster than about 15 mph it is well ventilated and not intolerably hot.

I WILL NOT WEAR ANYTHING BUT A FULL FACE HELMET!!!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
bsteff said:
I am a physician and a medical school professor, 55 years old. I see a lot of trauma that is preventable. I live in Mobile, AL, a fairly hot climate. I wear a full face helmet. When I stop in traffic I flip up the face shield and drop it into place before I start off again. My helmet is an Arai with multiple vents. When I am moving faster than about 15 mph it is well ventilated and not intolerably hot.

I WILL NOT WEAR ANYTHING BUT A FULL FACE HELMET!!!!
As a FF/EMT I've seen my share of stupid biker death's due to not wearing a helmet.

We wear HJC CL-14's & the kids have a HJC CL-14Y.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Rat, I'm a FF with perhaps more open-face desire than brains. I wear my CL-14 full on longer trips but if I'm just running around town on a warm day I'll wear my halfer. Of course, I've only been on line for 6 months and haven't seen much 2-wheel trauma here in sleepy Eugene (bicycles so far). I'll probably sing a different tune someday when I've got a wife or kids to consider.

If anyone is looking for an open face, I recently bought a Daytona Eagle carbon fiber. It's really comfy and light and small for being DOT approved (but I still look like a mushroom). They're pricey but how often will you need to buy a helmet?

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Full face. I wouldn't feel safe with anything else. I kind of like my chin. :D

·
Registered
741 Posts
Just got my new Z11 Shoei today and of course had to go for a ride even with the flu to see of it made me a better rider 8) . I really like it..it has even more protection in the cheek area than my RF9000 and the ventilation seems to be better also. Weighs a tad over three lbs. The peripheral vision seems to be a bit better also and less wind noise.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I wear a full face HJC CL-14. When first got my Vulcan 800 I had an open face Shoei RJ Platinum, but around here earlier this year the cicadas were so bad it was hard to ride even with a full face. I went riding today out on country roads...was glad i was wearing my full face, I got hit by a lot of BIG bugs. I had to clean the shield, and felt some hit me in the chest. For now the Shoei open face is just a spare for me, I'm staying with full face.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I started out with a full face HJC CL-14 and really liked it. I have a skid lid a wear sometimes in the open back roads. I really like the more open feeling,but I know that the full face is safer. I have ridden some without anything, but it just doesn't seem right, so I am back to the full face.

I have been watching in my travels and it seems that in different parts of the country, different customs are followed reguarding helmets. THe state law dictates most. I was in Indiana recently and counted 46 bikes just on my lunch outing, only one was wearing any helmet and it was a full face. I am visiting FL now and notice about 50/50 with helmets. The crotch rockets always have helmets, the metric almost always have helmets and the harley's almost never have them.

I guess the Harleys have a more advanced bumper avoidance system than these other bikes. Must be why the cost so much more. Or is it that the same brains that rationalized the extra expense are rationalizing the self protection.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts