Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in SOUTH texas and normally its atleast 50* F or above and it only rains about 4 months out of the year. So that means that 8 mo/year are pretty decent IMO for a riding situation. But what is the more generally accepted level of weather conditions where you just shouldn't ride because of safety. Btw this is for a small Kawi 305 cruiser.

Santiago

·
Registered
283 Posts
I live in the NE and ride if the temp is 40f or above. Put the long Johns on and wear a good jacket and pants. Take the back roads so I ride around 45mph.

I am not a cold weather person.

My 04 Chevy Z 71 pickup gets 13.2 mpg. My 98 Camaro SS needs 94 octane and has 4.10 gears.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
I'm usually a wimp about the cold, but I've written at temperatures as low as 26 degrees (and that's going on a road where the speed limit is 65mph and I usually push it up to 75mph). I have good winter gear and a full-face helmet, plus a windshield, so the cold doesn't matter all that much. Ice is a big no-no, though. I've ridden in rain and sleet, but don't like to if I can avoid it. After riding when it was in the 20s and 30s, 40 seems almost balmy. :D

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

won't ride on icey roads - otherwise i don't care what the weather is like :grin:

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
1987rx7guy,

Welcome to the forum.

I ride all year round when I can. KY winters are milder than up in the Pacific Northwest where I lived for two years and rode all year there, even in the snow. Mainly... I only went on the main roads where they had good snow removal and salt trucks. Stayed off the back roads as long as there was a chance for ice.

Rain is OK, just remember that your reaction time must be longer, so I always leave as big a safety pocket around me as possible when riding.

Ride Safe Ride Sane,

Heather

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I personally don't ride in questionable weather, but just like a car you can ride your motorcycle safely in bad weather. Don't know if you get snow or ice, but neither reaches Los Angeles. The worst we get is an occasional hail storm and rain usually doesn't last more then a few days during the winter.

Keep in mind that oil mixes with the wet stuff to make it slick so be aware if riding in the first rain and stay off the middle of the road when possible. The rest is your comfort level...

Some riders will ride in anything...not me. Too wimpy :razz:

·
Registered
53 Posts
It's never too cold for me to ride, just too dangerous.
Or, there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes.
If your dressed for it, rain and or cold is no big deal.
Below freezing though...
I find ice to be quite scary as well as the sand and/or loose gravel that they put on the roads in the winter that is still there in the spring.
From a Canadian perspective, the weather in Texas would never be too cold.
I imagine the hurricane season is the worst weather you have to deal with.
There has been freezing rain here for the last few days and its really icy everywhere. I thought I was going to break my neck walking the dog tonight.
You folks in the south are lucky to be able to ride in the winter.
I think I've got weather envy.
Greg

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Cold temps (25 and higher) with no ice on roadway's I can handle since I can dress to keep warm. Stopping for gas makes it feel really warm with layered clothing on. :)

I have ridden on roads with ice and it was not an enjoyable experience. To risky and felt like an accident waiting to happen. I hate riding in the rain. I had to work out in the rain growing up so now I avoid it.

I have not ridden in 3 weeks and I am getting really anxious to get out and see the country side. The snow has been melting due to a tropic storm front so roadway's are driveable however, the wind is howling now and today more rain predicted. Maybe tomorrow (Sunday) as temps will be at 32 degrees but no snow. Keeping my fingers crossed. ;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I ride whenever it's dry and wear extra layers if it's cold.

I will not ride when it's icy and tend not to when it's raining.

·
Registered
99 Posts
32 degrees?!!? I rode around San Antonio when it was 50 and even with my gloves, my hands became popsicles!!

Luckily I have the choice of when I ride. Texas has very predictable weather for 90% of the year, and we have also had 80 degree Christmas's. Let it snow? Nah.

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
i have ridden when it was 17 degrees, but that was only to work. i would do it again, as long as there is very little chance of ice. i know quite a few guys that at some point in their lives had a motorcycle as their only transportation. in new england that can be rough, but they would ride even in snow storms. i don't think i could ride in snow, mainly because i live on a hill and wouldn't even make it to the flat roads. so, that being said, unless there is ice or snow on the ground, i am good to go ! hehe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts