Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently bought an '89 ex500 and I'm wondering what's out there in the market, modification-wise, to do to it and where would I go to do such things? I'm a bit short on funds, due to the fact my other bike was wrecked, and I just bought this one.

[/IMG]

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
Man, that thing is almost 20 years old and looks awesome! You don't see many of that vintage on the road. It looks really clean, why mess with it?

Any other pics of it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got a few other pictures. To put it into perspective, I was born in '88. It's a great bike. It's got only 11,000 miles on it and rides like a dream. The guy I bought it from only rode it on weekends. Modifying it isn't a must, or even likely. I just wanted to figure out what's possible to do with it.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Here's what it replaced:
[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
About the only worthwhile mod to the 500 is a set of progressively wound fork springs and a set of good tires. I think metzler (did I spell that right?) makes excellent sticky tires in the older 16" size. Tires and fork springs will cost you about 300 bucks, more if you get them installed. Google "FOG airbox mod" too for a simple alteration to the airbox that smooths out the idle.

It might have the "FOGmod" done to it already as I notice the front turn signals aren't stock. This is a good thing. :smile:

Useless mods include but are not limited to: Jet kit, aftermarket exhaust, pod filters, etc.

Happy riding, the bike is a beaut.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems like sound advice. I'll leave it alone. I wasn't the one to change the signals, the owner dropped in his garage and one broke, apparently. Alright, so no changes.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Thats a good thing. These bikes are notorious for falling over and having stock signals punch into the fairing. Maybe it happened already, but whats important is it looks like new.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
They're just... so easy to work on. And simple. And cheap to put tires on. And fun! And they actually don't look all THAT dated. Kawi could have modernized them with nothing more than a new 2 in 1 headlight.

I'll be very sad when I decide to move up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Seriously, the only really useful mods I have runacross for this bike are front springs and heaver weight fork oil (I used racetech but there are others), links to raise the rear (it will take care of clearance issues and quicken steering a bit) and maybe flushmount signals so you dont pop a hole in the upper if you drop it. You can try the above mentioned Fog airbox mod as well.

Simple and inexpensive but make a world of difference in the ride.
Do a search on Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R - Index, all the above is well documented.
The bike looks great, good luck with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts