Discussion Starter #1
My chain has a TON of gunk all over it, what works best to cut through that
stuff that wont hurt the O-rings? I know gas will cut it, but it'll also dry up
the rings, i hear.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Chains

Strange or not, Diesel fuel is a petroleum based product that will not hurt your O-rings. Just unfold your newspaper, put on an old long sleve shirt and use a narrow brush. (I usually use a 2" brush tha tI have taken the scissors to and shortened the bristles on to about 1/3 the original length.) you can always use an old tooth brush if you want to be taking some time doing it and cleaning it real nice and pretty. then take an old rag and wipe it all down...ride it to get it all warmed up...YES it will be noisy till you lube it...but get it warmed up then pull on top of your news papers again and lube it spinning the rear tire (in Neutral) till you have it all done an dthen let it set till the next day if you can...then roll it off the papers and fold them up and trash them...chain clean and really well lubed!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
CHAIN

Cleaning the chain and using a petroleum based cleaner is preered over using anything like brake clean which could damage your O-rings...wd-40 is pretty expensive...believe it or not you could use the old drained oil from your car...you don't think it will clean...then the next time you get all geased up and really dirty...pour some reclaimed oil from your oil catc and wipe your hands and arms in it...then you will have to get the oil off but it cuts the dirt and grease like a hot knife going through butter!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts