Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies, what type of bike is your favorite and why? Sportbike? Cruiser? Dirt? Sport Tourer? Naked? And so on into all the sub-categories. Do you currently ride multiple types? More than one of the same type? Or do you have one and only one beloved bike and wouldn't even want another? Dish, girls!

Charlie

·
Registered
77 Posts
Currently I have two bikes. A Ducati M750 and a Kawi Z750. Both bikes have the "Streetfighter" look to them. And that is my favorite type of bike. I sometimes do rides with a gal pal, but when I ride solo or with my husband we're usually out looking to do some streetfighting - thru the twisties. There's nothing more entertaining.

I am looking to add a dirtbike to my stable again. It will be a Kawasaki.

Miki

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
I am a cruiser style of rider....prefer the laid back, smooth cruise thru the curvies......I have lived half of my life in the fast lane...now I live where I can stop and smell the roses if I want to :D

I am hoping on getting restoration of my BMW done this winter so that I can ride her this coming Spring.

Heather

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
I prefer cruisers, too. My husband has a sportsbike, which I've ridden quite a few times. But I just don't like it. I like sitting lower to the ground. My bike has mini apehangers on it, and I love that arm position. I have lower back problems, fibromyalgia, and arthritis, so a cruiser is the perfect bike for me. I love mine.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I like ATV, Dirt bikes, and have always been interested in sportbikes, that is why I picked the Ninja, however at the time of buying I could'nt decide to get the Ninja 636 or the 500, but because of the lean factor of the 636, I felt more comfortable on the 500, and it was a good choice!! :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I started out riding cruisers and really enjoyed the three that I owned. My last was a Yamaha VStar 1100 Custom, which was a really nice bike--plenty of power, very well-balanced, a pretty white, and affordable.

I had been introduced to riding motorcycles by some cruiser rider friends, and at that time I'd had no exposure to the sportbike world. From time to time I saw a few sportbikes at various motorcycle venues, but I had already been conditioned to think they were for "squids" who rode like maniacs and weren't "real" motorcycles.

Well, ladies, I'm here to tell you that as Lennon said: "Instant karma's gonna getcha!" One day I just decided, completely out of the blue, that I wanted to try a sportbike. I looked for an entry-level sportbike and chose the Kawi EX-500. It was a wonderful bike on which to make the transition. And it was the beginning of the end of my cruiser days.

To me, sportbikes seem so much faster, so much more maneuverable, just plain so much more FUN to ride, that there can be no comparison. I sold my Ninja and bought, in succession, an R-6 Yamaha, a Ducati 999, and a Suzuki GSX-R 1000. Yeah, buddy, what rides they give compared to a cruiser! And I don't want to hear anybody say: "What about that uncomfortable riding position? " I say, "What uncomfortable riding position?" You don't have to tuck all the time, and I personally find it more comfortable than sitting upright--the better to move with the bike instead of perching on it. I'm 45 and my back doesn't give me any more problems sitting in this position than it did sitting bolt upright on the VStar. I can ride the two I have now all day.

My sportbikes can go slow enough for me to look at the scenery when I want--they have great gearing for both fast and slow. They make decent sport tourers. And when I want to hit the twisties hard, I have the geometry for it that would leave any cruiser wiggling at those speeds. I have a Beemer that carries lots of stuff for long trips, but I don't know that I'll be keeping it--it just seems like such a slug to ride compared to the sportbikes--I'd rather just fill my tail and tankbags on the other bikes and have the power and speed to have FUN on a trip! I lived a large part of my life in the fast lane, too--flying jets. It's part of why I like riding--speed and manueverability--that feeling of wheeeeeeeeee!

But, though I'm horribly prejudiced now, I say "to each her own." If a big, throaty cruiser is what you love, go for it. Like to fly off the dirt? Buy that two-stroke dirt bike! Stylin' on a Vespa? It's all good.......

Charlie

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Yesterday hubby and I went for a ride up to the mountains. A million twisties, along with steep climbs in altitude. We even had a bit of rain and sleet. My Vulcan 800A did a fabulous job. I handled some extremely tight double hairpin turns on a 35-40 degree slope better than he did (I don't know whether that was due to my bike or my riding ability--hee hee). I'm really impressed with my Vulcan's power and handling, and it's so comfortable to ride. Since it handles the twisties so well and has so much power, I'd be hardpressed to want to switch to a sportsbike. Like kyhick1, I like to cruise easy, too, especially down those country roads. And I'm getting kind of old (just turned 50). Lower back pain and other problems (arthritis, fibromyalgia) mean that sitting upright is a necessity for me.

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Julie,

I am glad I am not the only one that feels that way :lol: I try and take life and riding at cruisin' speed 8) Mack and I went for a ride tonight on our local twisties. It was great relaxing ride.

Heather

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm short (also known as vertically challenged) with a 27-1/2" inseam ... 5'1" tall in my stockin' feet ... so seat height and bike width is a BIG deal for me. We have a Suzuki DR 200 SE dirt bike which I'm comfortable on and can touch ground with some feeling of security. We just traded a Suzuki 650 dirt bike and a Honda Spirit for a new Kawasaki Mean Streak 1600 (husband rides that, mind you) and while I totally enjoyed the 650 for power and response, etc., I never felt really confident on it because of the height. I could touch ground, but on tip toes (even with my combat boots on) and with all the crowned roads around NH, wasn't comfy with the feel.

I have a Kawasaki Vulcan 500 and LOVE it. Great seat height, no air cleaner sticking out the side to give me a permanent bruise on the inside of my knee, handle bars perfect length from the seat so my arms are comfortably positioned. When I tried it on at the dealership it felt like the bike had been made for me. :D

I tried on a couple of sportbikes but the seat height/width of the bike plus the pedal location wasn't good for my short legs. And, my arms were stretched straight to reach the handle bars and I wasn't comfortable with that.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Dressmaker:

Don't forget, motorcycles can be lowered. Maybe not all, but I think most. I'm 5'1" with a 27" inseam, I bought a Z750 with a 31" seat height. I had a Muzzy Lowering Link installed and now I flat foot.

And I ride nothing but twisties, and have never had any handling problems, and no problems with speed bumps either!

Miki

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Dressmaker,

Miki is right...that CAN be done on most bikes...shocks most of the time have notches to raise and lower them. I am 5'6' so I don't have that much of a problem but some bikes are taller. Its part of the fit of the bike. I need to be flat footed to manage the weight comfortably too.

Heather

·
Registered
20 Posts
My first two-wheeled experience was a Honda Elite 250 scooter. That was perfect for my commute back and forth to class (at UofA). It was perfect, until I hit a cadillac head-on, and totalled it. But...I digress.....That was 1996. Last October, I found the motorcycle I wanted to learn on. it was a 2001 Ninja EX500. PURPLE! It was perfect. I didn't want to be too far leaned over, but I didn't want a cruiser. It was a perfect learning bike. I took it out to the race track once, and did the 1/4 mile drag strip many times. (that's fun) After six months, I grew out of it. I happened to come across a smokin deal on an 03 636 that had a custom paint job (metallic pink). I snatched it up, and haven't looked back since. I am so happy that I got this bike. It handles awesome, and looks ever better! I wouldn't trade it for nothin'!

Pinky

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Pinky,

Welcome to the forum...I don't think I have ever seen a pink bike. :D We would like to see a picture of you and your bike if you have one handy. Sounds neat!!!! I started on a Honda Elsinore 250!!! On/off road dirt bike.

I have ridden bikes up to 1000cc's and that is about is much as I care to handle for weight and speed. We are hoping to get my 800cc BMW up and running this winter so we can go on a bike ride next summer with the kids.

Hope to see you up here often

Heather

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Jetgal,
Although I certainly respect your love for the sportbikes, I have to honestly say that I have no desire to have one, as of yet. I have never ridden one. Truthfully, I don't like their looks, their sound, or anything about them so far. Except, the "rush" that sportbike owners talk about which leaves me (admittedly) curious. I am not one to judge without trying first, so we'll see if I change my opinion when I ride my friend's 636. I have always loved power, speed, and things that test your abilities... and I'm sure that you get all of that with a sportbike for sure.
But, I'm a cruiser girl. I love their looks, they have plenty of power, and feel great satisfaction in hearing them "growl".... I love sitting comfortably (not "perched") and being able to see the world from that position rather than leaning forward.
You asked, I gave my humble opinion. :)
And finally, if you like motorcycles in general, you're a friend in my book. And as I've seen quoted on here many times, "It's not what you ride, it's that you ride!"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts