Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what type of oil do I use on my gear case. I know its sopposed to be 10w 30 or 40 but i heard I need a type of oil that has a additive for the cluch parts.

I have been using motor oil don know if thats right.

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
Whatever your manual says, but yes you should be fine with 10W40. Just make sure you don't use any oil that says "Energy Conserving" in the ratings circle. These are strictly automobile oils and will cause your clutch to slip.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Type F tran oil ? even if this is for a two stroke?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Type F tranny fluid!;)
What he said, best tranny oil you can get.
An auto parts place, no need to buy a fancy brand name.....it uses little, so change it frequently.
I change mine about every fifth time i ride it.
Bought a case of it on sale at Canadian tire, its just a generic oil.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have been running Type F in all my smokers and all my friends smokers without any issues. I used to run regular motor oil and the clutch didn't like it too much. The inside of a smokers trans are the same parts that are inside an automatic transmission.ie clutch packs, gears, seals and bearings. An automatic transmission in your car runs hotter and is abused more than your dirt bike. Also I can buy 3 qt's of ATF for the price of the 80w or 85w brand name type F at the local cycle shop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
8) I see that is a good point, good enough for car trans , good enough for bike trans.

·
Real Men Ride Rockets
201 Posts
I have used Bel-Ray gear saver from day 1 on my 1998 KX250 and the cases have not been split yet. What is the weight of Type F ATF? I am not saying that Type F ATF will not work, but if the gear saver was a scam why does it sale so well. After using it so long I hate to change now my luck I would start having problems. Do we have anybody reading this that wrenches on bikes that could give their opinion. Also if using Gear Saver would it be ok to change or should I stick to gear saver.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts