Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i hear all different things from different people! my question is simple, WHAT TYPE OF OIL SHOULD I USE IN THE BOTTOM END OF MY 2000 KAWASAKI KX 250? I've heard to run regular valvoline 10w30 or 10w40, ive also heard to use a special friction oil. any help would be appreciated.

·
Braaaaaaaaap
383 Posts
10w40 is the same as 80w gear saver/crank oil for dirtbikes. You can buy cheap oil, and change it more often, or HP dirtbike oil and change it less often. I recommend buying oil designed for dirtbikes, not car oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
10w40 is the same as 80w gear saver/crank oil for dirtbikes. You can buy cheap oil, and change it more often, or HP dirtbike oil and change it less often. I recommend buying oil designed for dirtbikes, not car oil.
ok well i just got the bike a month ago and i live in northern minnesota and the guy i bought it from had it stored outside, i brought it in my house and it started leaking oil, is it possible the seals shrunk? Will they possibly seal back up after the bike has been run for a little bit?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so 10w40 should be just fine to run until i can figure out if the oil stops leaking? if it stops or until i can get the seals replaced i will then switch to the 80w gear saver. thank you for your time

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would go with 10/40w oil gear saver is to much and you still have to change it just as much.

·
Registered
407 Posts
ok i hear all different things from different people! my question is simple, WHAT TYPE OF OIL SHOULD I USE IN THE BOTTOM END OF MY 2000 KAWASAKI KX 250? I've heard to run regular valvoline 10w30 or 10w40, ive also heard to use a special friction oil. any help would be appreciated.
THAT'S BECAUSE IT DOESN'T REALLY MATTER WHAT TYPE OF OIL YOU USE AS LONG AS IT'S FORMULATED TO WORK WITH A MULTI-PLATE WET CLUTCH ! motorcycle specific 10w-30, 10W-40, 20W-50, ATF, expensive "race" oils, they will all work fine...

Just DON'T run thick 80w-90 gear oil, this causes your clutch to "stick"

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
I use in all my 2 strokes, and in my customers 2 stokes, ATF type F.

Its great............Do not really worry about the brand of it, any quality ATF in type F is fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts