Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

My name is Matt. Im 28, i live in upstate NY. (Poughkeepsie)

So ive been riding dirt bikes since i was 12 years old and last week i made the step up to a street bike. I havent got my learners permit yet or anything but i went to price a few bikes and when i saw this bright orange Z1000 sitting there i didnt want to pass up the chance to buy it. Plus once i sat on the thing and my ass slid perfectly into the seat i knew this bike was made for me.

Its kinda scary that they will insure and register a bike for you in NYS without a class M license. Ive been trying so hard to be good and not to ride it and for the most part ive succeded. I took it out in front of my house a few times and did some figure 8's but i really dont wanna mess around and get pulled over and have the bike confiscated.

So anyway i have NO FRIENDS that ride. They all want to ride but the lack of credit and/or money keeps them from purchasing a motorcycle. Personally i think $8000 is a small price to pay to be able to have a spiritual experience everytime you need to go somewhere.

Im wondering if anyone lives in my area and is looking for a biker buddy. Im gonna get my permit test done next week and i know ill pass because ive read the NYS manual about 15 times since i got my bike last week.

It also seems like a pain in the butt to take your road test for a cycle cuz in Dutchess county you have to show up with another licensed motorcycle rider and like i said, i know nobody.

So maybe through my new found love for street bikes and my posting on this forum ill make a few new friends.

I hope so.

Im also looking for some local motorcycle clubs in this area.

Any help would be appreciated, or if anyone just wants to BS about bikes, im totally obsessed.

Cya.

Matty.

[/img]

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
got the bug huh?

I am from Ky and love to talk bikes. First get your motorcycle permit. In ky you can't ride a passenger untill you have your license. If you have that, can you show up for the test? next take a MSF ( Motercycle Safty Foundation ) safty course. It will be worth it.
Try talking to the person you got the bike from. or a motorcycle shop near you . There should be someone there more than willing to help get you started safely and legally. Rember this is not a dirt bike. everything about the handeling will be different especially the weight. I will look at the rules on posting Email address and tyr to give you mine so you can email me diretley if you like. Good luck and God bless.

Mack

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
NICE!

Nice choice, and WELCOME to the FORUM! Beartooth has just about anything that you need and their people are great to work with...Orange!!! WOW!!!

·
Registered
429 Posts
I am from Central, NY and in the same situation...knowing nobody. Same situation with friends...all want bikes but cant get approved for credit or cant afford one. And in Ny you can take a MSF course for 3 days...1 in the classroom and 2 riding. When you are done they mail you a slip to bring to DMV and you get your license no road test. Its easy to pass the driving test at the MSF course too because they provide you with a 120 or 250 and most driving is done in a parking lot at low speeds. I plan to do this. Average price is around $300 and many dealers in utica have coupons for 20 bucks or so off the price. I am also looking for people to ride with in central/ upstate ny.

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Isn't Orange County Chopper around Utica, R409Z? My wife and I are going to try to take a trip to Vermont this summer. We will be riding two up with our kids, 16 & 13 years old. We turn at Utica and go through the Adirondacks on Hwy 8. This trip is tentative now. You can e mail us if you would liike and we might can ride together some.

Mack

·
Registered
429 Posts
kyhick1 said:
Isn't Orange County Chopper around Utica, R409Z? My wife and I are going to try to take a trip to Vermont this summer. We will be riding two up with our kids, 16 & 13 years old. We turn at Utica and go through the Adirondacks on Hwy 8. This trip is tentative now. You can e mail us if you would liike and we might can ride together some.

Mack
I have no idea where orange county chopper is. Try looking at whitepages.com.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey yall.

Been a while but im back.

So i got my permit about a week ago and a guy i met on another message board came up last weekend and we put about 200 miles under our tires on Saturday.

Im learning the basics, counter steering, emergency braking, etc.

Im takin things slow. Street bikes are definately a HUGE step away from dirt bikes but im glad i made the jump. I aslo invested in some serious road gear so if i do bail my skin will most likely remain intact.

Anyway i signed up for the MSF course in a few weeks. Not only did it seem like the easiest way to get my license but after talking to a few experienced riders i realized there were ALOT of things i didnt know.

So hopefully ill have my license in about a month and then its road trip city for me.

I cant wait.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts