Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what oil everyone ran. I live in Orlando, and it gets pretty darn hot in the summer (like now!), and I was considering changing to Mobil1 15-50 for the rest of the summer in my '01 Ninja 500R. I just got the bike and I have no MOM yet. The sticker under the seat does not list 15-50 but 20-50 is there, so it should be ok. Funny thing is a buddy just got an '02 500R and his under seat sticker does not even list 20-50. I thought that was wierd. So let me know what you all run, so I can get some idea what I should do. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
The only thing you have to worry about in oil is friction modifiers, which will cause your clutch to slip. I used to run Mobile 1 15w-50 full synthetic, it ran good, but I actually prefer to run Rotella 5W-40 full synthetic now. I must add its about 105F here in texas right now, bike runs great with the full synthetic.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, I was planning on Mobil1 15-50. Freakinout-do you run the 10w40 all year? If you do I might go that route. The climate here is about the same as Texas, you are prolly a bit colder in winter. So if you run the 10-40 in the winter too, I am sure I can get away with it. Thanks
CB

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Villaven said:
Cool, I was planning on Mobil1 15-50. Freakinout-do you run the 10w40 all year? If you do I might go that route. The climate here is about the same as Texas, you are prolly a bit colder in winter. So if you run the 10-40 in the winter too, I am sure I can get away with it. Thanks
CB
I run a 5w-40, but I am planning on running it all year long, I just switched over to this oil a few months ago. I love it though, the bike runs better than great on it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I violate all the rules of motorcycle oil and I use Mobil Delvac 15W40. Bike runs great, and the clutch grabs better than it did with Mobil 1 full synthetic motorcycle oil.

A "hot summer day" here is high 70s, so it's a cooler climate than most.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts