Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took apart my shocks on my Vulcan 1500 and will replace the springs with progressive springs. Before I took them apart I stopped at the kawa dealer and he sold me a quart of Yamalube 10w40 for this procedure. (this dealership sells Yamahas as well) Is this right? In another post someone recommended straight 15w.

·
Registered
741 Posts
When I had my fork seals replaced on my M/S, the dealer's head wrench installed 10/15 fork oil. I had never heard of a combo fork oil before but I think I like it better than the OEM 10 weight. It provides a little stiffer suspension, or so it seems. :wink:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Interstingly Ichecked the Ninja 250 manual and sure enough it recommends 10w20 for fork oil???

The Ninja 900 recommends 10.

I have always used straight oils though.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Based on all that I could find on various Kawa forums I am going to go with straight 15w thats especially formulated for forks. The multi viscosity oil I suppose can be used but I'll use what most folks are going with. Seems the 15w with progressive springs gives it a nice all around road ride.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Bingo - that is the same combination I run on my 900. Should be a big difference with the springs when you are done.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
1Adam12 said:
Bingo - that is the same combination I run on my 900. Should be a big difference with the springs when you are done.
speaking of your 900, how is it doing after the fender bender earlier?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Beleive it or not the insurance co is stalling still. It runs fine it just doesn't look quite as pretty as it used to. A little plastic work and paint and it will be just as good as new again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
the shock oil shouldent matter at all, on some bikes it also lubricates the wheel barrings and spidometer but in every bike ive ever owned ive putten 20W30 cam2 in it, sometimes ive used motor oil.. sometimes ive even left it dry,

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
G3SSB said:
the shock oil shouldent matter at all, on some bikes it also lubricates the wheel barrings and spidometer but in every bike ive ever owned ive putten 20W30 cam2 in it, sometimes ive used motor oil.. sometimes ive even left it dry,
dude put down the crack pipe and step away from the computer ! :roll:
fork oil weight matters ALOT in the forks. it controls compression/rebound/heat in ALL STYLE FORKS. as for you comments about it lubing wheel bearings/speedo drive etc. i would like to see what bike(s) your talking about (not being sarcastic) ive never heard/seen that and would like to see the info/tech data. :wink:

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
QKENUF4U said:
G3SSB said:
dude put down the crack pipe and step away from the computer ! :roll:
fork oil weight matters ALOT in the forks. it controls compression/rebound in ALL STYLE FORKS. as for you comments about it lubing wheel bearings/speedo drive etc. i would like to see what bike(s) your talking about (not being sarcastic) ive never heard/seen that and would like to see the info/tech data. :wink:

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Really,
Fork oil weight definately meens a alot. Maybe not on a scooter but on a heavy cruiser the diff between 10W and 20W can be dramatic. Obviously G3SS3 shouldn't be offering any technical advice here!

·
Registered
27 Posts
what im saying is its a fucking road bike, theirs no bumps on the road.. its a mystery why their not hard tailed ,ive never found a problem with no fluid or wrong fluid so what if it bottoms out.. its not like its going to case, but whatever.. you dont want my advice , so just shut the **** up and dont say anything instead next time, instead of beeing an *******

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, Thanks for the valuable response. I'm sure that given your intelligent and articulate response, others will see you for the expert that you are. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
OK everyone - back away from the keyboards and cool your jets. Let's get back to issues at hand.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I went with the 15W oil that was recommended by another member. From his experience, 20W made the handling a bit squirelly on the highway and 15W seemed to compliment the the progressive springs perfectly. I might have saved a few bucks by having the wife pick up some Wesson salad oil from the grocery store but I thought better of it :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts