Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a KX250 and want to know which year had the best motor and the best ergo's for turning. I have ridden an 05' and it felt pretty good. But I'm looking for any input whether good or bad. I can either pick up a left over 05' or buy a used bike and spend the money on the motor and suspension.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I'm in the market for a KX250 and want to know which year had the best motor and the best ergo's for turning. I have ridden an 05' and it felt pretty good. But I'm looking for any input whether good or bad. I can either pick up a left over 05' or buy a used bike and spend the money on the motor and suspension.
I have owned a KX 250 of the years 1996, 99, 2002, and 2005......IMO they got better every year.

Love my 2005....is it really better than any other year, I have no idea, and maybe this is not much help, just my opinion is all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey i see you have a mojave.... i have an 03 and it backfires not at the carburetor but at the exhaust. i think it may be running lean but it could be other bigger problems like timing. i cant idle it either bc it will shut off so i have to rev it up a lil when on N. i just put in a new spark plug to be on the safe side but yet same problem. I think its running lean bc if it was timing it would have not shut off at idle. has this ever happened to you. what do you think is causing it

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey i see you have a mojave.... i have an 03 and it backfires not at the carburetor but at the exhaust. i think it may be running lean but it could be other bigger problems like timing. i cant idle it either bc it will shut off so i have to rev it up a lil when on N. i just put in a new spark plug to be on the safe side but yet same problem. I think its running lean bc if it was timing it would have not shut off at idle. has this ever happened to you. what do you think is causing it
Hmm, My bike has run just fine since I bought it. I just uncorked the intake by removing the air box system and clamped a Uni filter on the back of the carb. You either have bad valves, an air leak or jetting issue. I would remove the carb and clean it out. If it still back fires then a valve adjustment on the exhaust valves will be needed. I don't have a manual yet and don't know what the lash is for the valves.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I would say, the newer you buy the better they are. You should be able to get a really good deal on a left over 05, being that all the two strokes are getting phased out.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tomorrow I'm going to look at a 98' KX250. The owner told me he bought it new in 98' and it was stolen 2 years ago then recovered. He brough it home and it looked okay so took it to a shop for a compression test. The idiots at the shop didn't check to make sure everything was good and when they kicked it over coolant poured out the head as it was not tight. So it has sat for a while with the motor completly torn apart. He has a rolling chasis and is asking $800. I talked to him about the motor and what I thought it would cost me to get it running again. I also asked if the price was firm and he told me to come and look at what he has. I'm going to take $700 but offer $600 first and see what happens. But I won't offer anything until I see what shape the cases and cylinder are in although I'm not worried about the cylinder as I plan on a big bore if it is scarred.

·
Registered
31 Posts
$800 for a rolling chasis is a little steep. I paid $350 for my 2000 in rolling chasis form. and the engine came in 2 5 gallon buckets. It cost me $400 to rebuild the entire engine.(I was missing a lot of little parts from the engine)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seeing is believing. If I see it and it don't look like it's worth $600 then I will offer him $400 or $500. Or I will just keep loooking.

·
Registered
31 Posts
True.. as long as all the parts for the Engine are there.

I spent more money buying parts that were missing, then the actual parts to rebuild it.
Thats what happens when you go there with no clue what your looking at. Foolish Me.

Good Luck with that Buy, FPMXer

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I picked up a 98' KX250 today for $700.00. It was owned by a vet rider and never beaten. Some assclowns stole it 2 years ago and he got it back a few months later, lucky him. He bought new tires for it along with front and rear fender. Took it to a shop for a compression test and when they tried to kick it coolant spewed from the top end as it was loose. He parked it since. The bike is super clean for a 98' and only needs a rotating assembly. I already have that stuff bought on fleabay. It also came with new front and rear sprocket from renthal and a gold series chain never used. I will post up some pic's tomorrow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts