Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
NO---I ain't dead--yet
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's a good inexpensive helmet for the occasional passenger??

Looking for something that won't cost an arm and a leg---yet offer good protection for when I have the occasional female passenger on my bike.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i agree with freakin :wink: hjc is pretty good for what they cost :D

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
I too use a HJC for my pax helmut, but you might want to try them out. I find the fit of the HJC to be more comfortable than that of my Shoei but after about 1 hour under the HJC, it rides hard on my forehead and creates pressue that in turn creates a headache. The shoe is tighter in its fit but doesn't cause the headache. If the HJC didn't do that, I'd be under it for all my rides.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I ran a poll on another site about girls' helmet sizes (I only take girls, lol, but that's just me). The average size seemed to be S or M, but it was recommended that I get an HJC in M as their sizes tend to be smaller than what the label says. I got an HJC V2 (if I remember right) in M, DOT-approved and of course, brand new, for $80 at the dealer. It's been working out great so far. No complaints about fit or comfort.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
fotocycle said:
(I only take girls, lol, but that's just me).
There is nothing wrong with that, I will only take a guy passenger if its life or death situation. Female passengers usually weight less too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Freakinout said:
fotocycle said:
(I only take girls, lol, but that's just me).
There is nothing wrong with that, I will only take a guy passenger if its life or death situation. Female passengers usually weight less too.
Exactly! Not that I think that there's anything wrong with two guys on a bike, it's just not me. And I would give a ride to a friend if they really needed it, but they better either have a small head or pray to whatever god they believe in that we don't go down :shock: Considering the safety implications, I'd rather just cover them for a cab if it's an option.

Back to the original topic, I've seen some AFX helmets for cheap too, but dunno their quality. The shop I go to had a new one for $100, in a good size for girls too.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
INEXPENSIVE

I was going to jump like a frog on this one...Cheap helmet for a passenger? I'd have some thoughts about those words...like, gee thanks for a crappy helmet you cheap.....skate.... What you meant was an inexpensive helmet. There is a difference between some of the Department Of Transportation (DOT) Approved helmets and some SNELL Approved helmets when it comes to cost but more specifically quality! Safety! nice things! I say don't be cheap purchase a great helmet, even two so that you can offer a size to a "lady" and make them the same color so that they chose by size and not color...women are wierd when it comes to sizes, and if one has a "better" color (?) they will choose it over size...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Freakinout Helmets

I'd like to see a posting or an easy to read system for the system on helmets... DOT means almost nothing, only that they have approved it for use...SNELL Foundation has actual testing going on...all the time...and now there is a EUROPEAN and some RACING classifications...I saw and article on it in the bookstore but it wasn't well writen...or perhaps ther were just to many systems for me to think about...I don't do "chess", to many pieces, to much thought...I'd rather be polishing spokes, cleaning radiators, polishing my kickstand (somehow that doesn't sound right), detailing my motor... Anyway, you would hope to find a rating like a ladder of quality, due to testing of helmets. I know that SNELL Approval is awesome and I have been to their site to read about their testing. The racing and european stuff I'm clueless on... HINT!!! SOMEONE needs to write an easy to understand post on helmet ratings.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Re: Freakinout Helmets

ZX-2R said:
I'd like to see a posting or an easy to read system for the system on helmets... DOT means almost nothing, only that they have approved it for use...SNELL Foundation has actual testing going on...
A quick web search reveals;

http://www.bmwoforlando.com/pages/services/tech/faq/helmet.htm

I think this will answer most questions about helmets. :)

Happy Reading

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
HELMETS

I understand the DOT....Honor System
I understand the SNELL Foundation...actual testing and really tough testing
I DO NOT UNDERSTAND the racing standards used in the United States (for motorcycle racing an automobile racing)
I DO NOT UNDERSTAND the European standards

·
Registered
458 Posts
Re: HELMETS

ZX-2R said:
I understand the DOT....Honor System
I understand the SNELL Foundation...actual testing and really tough testing
I DO NOT UNDERSTAND the racing standards used in the United States (for motorcycle racing an automobile racing)
I DO NOT UNDERSTAND the European standards
Perhaps you can find US racing info here

http://www.ama-cycle.org/index.asp

As European standards. I'm guessing that there is something on the WWW somewhere.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
HELMET

I only saw the response not the Header...so I wasn't sure it was a helmet...at first...I'm going to find an AGV shelf somewhere and try them on..., although my, HJC is nice...I Always have room for another helmet on the closet shelf, as I rotate through them...I'm going to retire my BELL,,when I get my bike back on the road... Have to check out the KBC though...I'm always looking...I retire helmets early, as I clean them and change out the pads...I'm obsessive about the cleanliness of my helmet...it's kind of like under-wear...has to be clean and fresh, ain't no way I'd wear it inside out!!!
To clear this up some..I knew a fellow biker in Hawaii still wearing a helmet that he had been wearing for about a decade...and was proud of hte thing...although it look like he had let his kids do finger painting on the inside of it...GROSS and DISGUSTING...It was something that made me think about the inside of mine...eccccckkkkk!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I like my Vega Vista helmets. Very comforatable, so I always wear it. The best helmet is the one you wear!

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
ya know m2r helmets are about 100 dollars and they are comfy and stylish. i think they pass all the stuff. can you have a helmet that dont?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts