Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K., I am showing my experience here. I am new to the Cruiser world and have never had a tool bag. My question to the experts and "salty dogs" is what are some good "must haves" for the tool pouch or bag. I have some ideas but just want some advice.

Thanks in advance, BH

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Hey, Whistle, I see you're a bridal botique manager now. Too funny. I'm no longer Uncle Bob's love child, sad to say. :(

·
Registered
229 Posts
Nowadays, it seems tools mostly consist of a cell phone and a AAA card. While not altogether inadequate, a little time and effort associating yourself with the different sizes of nuts and bolts in key areas sure does help. You can't repair a flat tire or tighten a chain, if you don't have the proper wrench. A small flashlight, pair of plyers(vise-grips), couple of crescent wrenches, set of hex keys, tire repair kit w/inflation ability, a rag to wrap all the noisy stuff in and to use, electrical tape, and a knife. That ought to get you started, just don't hang all that heavy stuff below your headlight so that the first time you hit a decent bump, it drives your front fender into it.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Yes Julie......and I'm having a difficult time deciding on what to wear now. Managing occasions that are festive and full of fashion......what's a guy to do? LOL :)

I was a little worried about you being Uncle Bob's love child. Although I have never met Uncle Bob.....just the title had my palms sweating. :shock:

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
whistle clean said:
Yes Julie......and I'm having a difficult time deciding on what to wear now. Managing occasions that are festive and full of fashion......what's a guy to do? LOL :)
You can never go wrong with long black gloves. :D

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

a visa card - my days of roadside repairs are over :p
all my bikes still have the stock kit-unopened :p

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
LOL.....I'll see if I can find some magazines that show different styles of gloves.....I don't want to look like all the others. ;)

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
whatever Kawasaki put in it ! oh yeah, and a tire guage, clear glasses, leatherman, lock for my trailer hitch, key for my trailer and hitch, flashlight, cargo net and sometimes my rain gear, but all that stuff is in my saddlebag.

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
dodger said:
I carry standard tools (not Metric) I dont need them, but if I come across a Harley on the side of the road. LOL
should've know someone was going to go that way !!!!!

hehehehe

:grin:

·
Registered
487 Posts
dodger said:
I carry standard tools (not Metric) I dont need them, but if I come across a Harley on the side of the road. LOL
dodger, that made my day :lol: God bless.

·
Registered
459 Posts
A good small LED flashlight, either the keychain type, or Dorcy makes one the size of a BIC lighter. Also, how about one of the folding funnels sold by Honda dealers. I think it's 3 to a pack for $1.99. They fit right into the toolkit area & even stop the kit from rattling.
Regards

·
Registered
159 Posts
Whats in your tool bag

Bring with you general stuff cause your not going to do much on the road unless you intend on going where no other man has gone before. In that case leave the bike home and take a Hum Vee. Bring things like you would need for general tighting up, adjusting, a small can of chain lube, very important--A BICYCLE STROBE LITE for when you get stuck at night waiting for the tow truck. You wouldnt want some idiot running you over on a dark deserted highway. They are very bright and very small and very cheap. A flashlight and extra batteries. Your not going to fix a flat on the road unless your in the middle of the desert. Have it towed to the nearest Kawasaki dealer or bike shop. Take a motel room and enjoy the day or night while it is getting fixed. You dont need jumpers. Turn the key on, Put the bike in forth, get a running start, jump on and let the clutch out. It will start. If it dont , you wont be able to fix it anyway. I took a roadside assistance program from AARP. It covers bikes with a 50 mile tow radius. If you cant find a bike OR REPAIR shop within 50 miles, you better get back to civilization. Think of more important things like a first aid kit. If you wear contacts, an extra set or pair of glasses. Contact lens cleaner. An extra tail lite bulb, Extra fuses. Maybe even a headlight bulb. Ive seen lots of guys have all the tools they need but a wrench to remove the bolt securing the seat to gain access to the problem. Think ahead. Bring extra medication with you if you take any and put that in your tool bag. Also, know where your going before you go and get on the computer and check to see where the repair shops are along the way. You have to stop for gas periodically so how far can you really be from a place that fixes flats. Plan your trip like you were flying a plane. You dont want to run out of gas up there. Just dont go crazy buying all these emergency tools that they try to sell you. You'll end up having to bring a roll- away with you. If you got tubeless tires, a can of fix a flat. If you have tube type tires, a can of fix a flat. It just might get you where you wanna go or at least to a gas station. If it works ok, if not, Oh Well. Get a room, call a tow truck and take in a movie and a good meal. I can go on and on. Remember, you aint MAD MAX.

·
Registered
233 Posts
That the reason all harley rides wave at you with a closed fist,,if they open their hand they will drop their tools

·
Registered
159 Posts
Whats in your toolbag

One more thing. I do bring with me a spare clutch cable. It can be changed very easily and it gets the most use and wear. You cant ride home without a clutch. It only attaches with 2 locknuts at the transmission end. If hydraulic, bring a line and small bottle of brake fluid. But hydraulic clutch lines usually never go.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts