Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a chance to buy a 1985 kaw vulcan 700 for 1000 bucks in very goodrunning condition.the guy says this bike is rare because the 700 was sold for only one year.what say you guys its in perfect shape all original .thanks

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
it's pretty old and the big problem will be getting parts for it because it's rare. I had a suzuki that was rare and finding parts to fix things was the biggest problem. Most big shops now won't work on bikes older than a few years because their techs aren't trained on them.

1000 for any bike in good condition isn't a bad price. It should still look clean and shiny for him to be getting top dollar for it.

Conversely, you might try looking for a 750. There are tons of them out there and a very strong support group on their forum.

·
Eddie Lawson is God!
5,683 Posts
I hate cruisers. With a passion that borders on rabid. That being said, when I was service manager of the local Kawasaki shop, I had a lemon law 700 Vulcan for a demo. I pounded that thing mercilessly for an entire summer. I put 11K on it. I left shards of footpeg all over the Connecticut countryside. It lived at redline. The only thing I did to it besides FLOG it like a hated stepchild was give it regular maintenance. That thing ran like a Swiss watch. It EARNED my respect. The 700-750 Vulcans of that type wear like IRON!!!

The 85 700 Vulcan is a rare bird. But it shares EVERYTHING except a couple of internal motor parts with the VN750 which they made for 21 years.

The only Kawasaki with that kind of parts availability is a J based KZ1000. They made the cop model until 2005.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Yea the 85 Vulcan 700 was a tariff buster, When congress wanted to limit the size of motorcycle coming into the US to give an American company a strategic advantage in the larger machines. Now that being said the machines are not all that rare as elr658 said, “it shares EVERYTHING except a couple of internal motor parts with the VN750 which they made for 21 years.”
I picked up one as a winter project and have not found a part that is unavailable yet. Granted I haven’t had to go into the engine but there are some sites that carry most of the hard to find stuff. Sometimes you can go to the 86 and sometimes all the way to the 05 model. Find a part number on the Kawasaki site and compare it to the next few years.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yea the 85 Vulcan 700 was a tariff buster, When congress wanted to limit the size of motorcycle coming into the US to give an American company a strategic advantage in the larger machines. Now that being said the machines are not all that rare as elr658 said, “it shares EVERYTHING except a couple of internal motor parts with the VN750 which they made for 21 years.”
I picked up one as a winter project and have not found a part that is unavailable yet. Granted I haven’t had to go into the engine but there are some sites that carry most of the hard to find stuff. Sometimes you can go to the 86 and sometimes all the way to the 05 model. Find a part number on the Kawasaki site and compare it to the next few years.
I agree.
The only thing rare is the engine because it's 700CC.
If that bike is in good shape it's worth a 1000 bucks in my eyes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
great help

thanks guys for all the opinions i be lieve i will buy the bike.i have allready took my motorcycle safety course and acquired my license .thanks for all your help

·
Registered
57 Posts
bottom line is if thats the type of bike you want (cruiser) and if its roadworthy and cosmetically ok its worth a grand. really any sort of transportation (car etc) if it only needs minimal work is worth a grand if its something you want. my wife bought a 92 ex 500 for 800 bucks. it needed tires, battery, cosmetic fairing repairs, brakes and other misc stuff, all done including paint materials we`ve got 1300 bucks in it... sorta the same deal, not much money road worthy. she`s sellin it to my bro in law...1200..he cant go wrong, nobody went wrong.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts