Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
VRA National President
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy at our Vulcan club meeting proposed that we start a "Single Digit Club" for members who ride in 9 degrees or lower weather without electrical gear. His idea wasn't met with a lot of enthusiasm... lol. I give him credit though. He's been riding his bike to work every day still (in Pennsylvania) and has ridden in 19 degrees so far. That's COLD!!!

My coldest ride was riding back from Daytona. I was doing 80mph on the highway for the last hour (eager to get home) without a windshield at night. When I got home, I found out it was 28 degrees. Aside from frozen feet, I wasn't too bad. I had about 76 layers on though. :)

What's your coldest ride?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

bout the same as you slick,since i've been in florida-
26deg with a 25mph breeze at 60mph at night for 100 miles
knuckles and toes were my only complaint

rode my dirt bike in single digits a few times as kid though in va.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
I've done 23 deg at 75mph for 40 miles and was glad to be home getting warmed up with hot coffee. :)

I also layer on the clothing and like you Slicks my hands were cold but everything else could have stood more.

·
Registered
92 Posts
When I was in high school a very long time a go, my only transportation was a Honda 90. It got in the 20's which doesn't happen here very often. Layers and layers of clothes. If it gets below 60 now you will not see me out riding.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have done 38 degrees at night for 85 miles, goin 70. I don't intend to do it again :smile: took me an hour to thaw out !!

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've done the teens several times, single digits a couple of times due to absolute necessity(a drunk hit and totaled both our cars), enough to know that you have to start out with a warm bike, (heated garage, or as in the single digits rides, the kitchen) cause I never had a bike that had enough battery to crank a bike in single digits. That also puts a halt to stopping for a "cup a joe "while you're out, cause it only takes a few minutes in that weather to bring the bike to it's knees again. Think I'll pass on the single digits ! :wink:

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
don't think I"ll be looking to head up the local chapter around here. I've ridden in 36 degrees and sunny and that was enough to know that any colder i'd be miserable.

·
Registered
392 Posts
My coldest ride was about 30 degrees with no windshield. All I had on was a single layer of clothes and long johns. Rode about 20 miles with no gloves. Had to chip my hands loose from the grips. That was cold enough for me. :)

·
Registered
817 Posts
I saw a guy around a month ago here in Arizona around 5am at round 48 degrees riding a bike going around 70 wearing shorts, that was funny, some people must be insane, I have ridden like in 48 degrees with a ski coat on (very warm) for like 34 miles. When the sun goes down it is much colder even for the same temperature, sunlight warms a bit, Doc.

·
VRA National President
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[Rode about 20 miles with no gloves.]

No gloves in 30 degree weather??? Are you a masochist BRLawan? :) I'd put a pair of socks over my hands first. On my ride, I had a pair of wool work gloves inside a pair of my Dad's snowmobile mitts ("thanks Dad!" :) ) AND I had my hand and arms buried down in a pair of "elephant ears" that completely encompassed the left and right side of my handlebars. I think my hands still got a little chilly. Feet are my problem -wool socks with my boots inside of rubber rain boots didn't cut it. I think I need to go with electric socks to stay comfortable in freezing temps.

·
Registered
226 Posts
This year, 11 degrees. Rifle Classic II windshield with lowers, standard Fruit of the Loom long johns, Olympia Weather King Gauntlets, Leather Motorcycle Jacket with Thinsulate liner, Full Face helmet and my boots. Wasn't bad but would need chaps if my ride to work was more than 30 minuts. ;-)
Dano

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
rode to work until Dec 17th, in 2002. was in the teens for a couple weeks and single digits i believe once. no electrics and no windshield. i bought a set of snowmobile gauntlets and put them on. helped a little, but i still froze my fingers off. its hard to shift with winter boots on too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't ride all that cold

Well I'll admit I've never ridden my bike in the teens, but then again I only ride my bike between April and October. I ride my bike routinely in the low Thirties to work. If I waited for the mornings to get out of the 40's I wouldn't be riding till July (Geesh, that is what I get for living in Michigan). I wear insulated gloves (that helps alot) and I wear a leather face mask ( I've scared a few children with it on the way to work) but it really works. Other than that I wear chaps, and a good leather jacket. I'll take a pic and post the mask. You'll get a good laugh or get a idea for haloween!!

Kazoorider
2001 1500 vulcan classic

·
32,545 Posts
kazoorider said:
Well I'll admit I've never ridden my bike in the teens, but then again I only ride my bike between April and October. I ride my bike routinely in the low Thirties to work. If I waited for the mornings to get out of the 40's I wouldn't be riding till July (Geesh, that is what I get for living in Michigan). I wear insulated gloves (that helps alot) and I wear a leather face mask ( I've scared a few children with it on the way to work) but it really works. Other than that I wear chaps, and a good leather jacket. I'll take a pic and post the mask. You'll get a good laugh or get a idea for haloween!!

Kazoorider
2001 1500 vulcan classic
all that matters is that you ride and you have your gear that gets the job done. i hear ya about waiting for those 40 degreee mornings, we'd be waiting way too long to ride. the only hard part about early season riding is packing all the morning gear for the 60 degree afternoon ride home !

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've rode in mid to upper 30's many times in the morning about 60 miles to work with the promise of great midwest afternoons on the way home.
oh what we won't do to ride.......
Some of you guys are nuts... lol

·
Registered
806 Posts
Growing up in the great white north most of the days it was this cold my bike had been stored for a few months to avoid the ice and even worse the salt. The single digit club reminds me of the polar bear clubs...swimming in icy water. Living in the sunny south has allowed me to ride more of the chilly days.....down to the teens but I can't claim a single digit ride. I really need to get some chaps as my legs take the worst beating and to date I've been wearing a pair of Gore-Tex pants that hold the wind but love to flap...now isn't that a cool fashion statement but at that temp who cares. My new leather winter gloves have been great so far but the worst I've tested the to is the mid 20's for about 70 miles or so....chilly but still able to move most joints.

Some single digit temp rides on the Blue Ridge Pkwy where the speed limit keeps things a little slower would be a blast. The wind chill on the interstate at those temps will keep me home, my bloods gotten to thin.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hey y'all. I'm a newbie and this is my first post. I took my MSF class on 12/21 & 22. On the 22nd, it was 75 and beautiful; however, the weather changes dramatically here in Texas. The next morning, it was 34 and raining with north winds gusting to 40 mph. The temperature kept dropping and soon the rain turned to sleet, then snow (thank goodness the ground was warm enough it didn't stick). Anyway, we finished the class, albiet early (I think the temp had dropped to 30 by 1:30 when we finished). The hardest part was riding into the wind with the sleet drilling you in the face (open-faced helmets). We cold-weather wimps here in Texas were FREEZING. It took me all day to thaw! I admire you studs and studettes who ride when it's below freezing.

·
32,545 Posts
welcome to the forum dawg, nice little story ! nothing to admire, that's just what we are conditioned for. i am sure you would be laughing your butt off at me if i came down to TX in mid July. seriously, i have been down south in the summer and i am not conditioned for that kind of heat and humidity combo !

·
Registered
409 Posts
I've ridden at around 25 deg. F. But my coldest ride was in the low thirties. Bought a new Sportster in November and that winter was lousy. Got a warm February day and I rode it to work. Not too bad, usual cold weather gear worked fine. Ended up having to work late and when I got outside found it had rained and froze in early evening. Roads were now all wet and covered with PA's infamous road salt. I rode 45 miles home wet and extremely cold. Hurts just thinking about it. The worst part was when I washed the bike two days later the road salt had already worked its way under some of the clear coat on my cylinder heads and front forks. Blemishes that were still there when I sold the bike. Lesson learned.............

1 - 20 of 79 Posts