Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to ask such a stupid question, but didn't get an owners manual with my "used" '08 1500 Classic. I know it's 10W-40 but what the API level? (the SG, SJ, etc). I know it's a dumb question and I should just go buy a branded motorcycle oil off the shelf. But, you know, got to be particular with my new baby. Thanks.

·
'01 1500 Classic FI
1,163 Posts
Sorry to ask such a stupid question, but didn't get an owners manual with my "used" '08 1500 Classic. I know it's 10W-40 but what the API level? (the SG, SJ, etc). I know it's a dumb question and I should just go buy a branded motorcycle oil off the shelf. But, you know, got to be particular with my new baby. Thanks.
Well, I just go over to Wally World, and pay $8.88 for a gallon of Shell Rotella T 15w40 diesel oil. Have been using it in my '01 1500 Classic FI since 2002.

google rotella + motorcycle for more info.

·
enjoying the ride
448 Posts
I recommend made for motorcycle oil. That being said, the specs would be: API SG, JASO MA.... Buy oil that says that and you know your getting oil made for a motorcycle. The brand is up to you to decide, they're all good if you change when you should.

·
Ahhh Crap
2,344 Posts
Ditto on the Rotella 15w/40. Good stuff at a decent price. There's even a Rotella forum where one of the sections is discussions of it's use in motorcycles. It's a very popular motorcycle oil that just happens to work well in big rig engines.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
(+1) Or go with the Blue jug (synthetic) Rotella. It smoothed-out my clunky shifting 1500 Classic in short order!! :smile:
Ditto on the Rotella 15w/40. Good stuff at a decent price. There's even a Rotella forum where one of the sections is discussions of it's use in motorcycles. It's a very popular motorcycle oil that just happens to work well in big rig engines.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I recommend made for motorcycle oil. That being said, the specs would be: API SG, JASO MA.... Buy oil that says that and you know your getting oil made for a motorcycle. The brand is up to you to decide, they're all good if you change when you should.
Slight correction: API SG does not require JASO MA. API higher than SG does.

That's by the book.

Rotella 15w40, Delvac 15w40, Castrol GTX... all of those have proven themselves to be suitable.

I tried a Motul JASO-MA product and DID encounter clutch slippage. Serious clutch slippage. So bad that I changed the clutch.
Slippage came back in less than 200 miles, knew it wasn't the clutch, dumped the Motul and replaced it with Castrol... no slippage since except some light slippage in 5th when I tried Mobil-1 15w50 (synthetic).

Personally, I am sold on M1 V-Twin and Amsoil MCV (both for warm weather)... M1 "Racing-4T" and Amsoil MCF are good winter blends, but they are fully synthetic and not cheap.

·
enjoying the ride
448 Posts
Slight correction: API SG does not require JASO MA. API higher than SG does.

That's by the book.

Rotella 15w40, Delvac 15w40, Castrol GTX... all of those have proven themselves to be suitable.

I tried a Motul JASO-MA product and DID encounter clutch slippage. Serious clutch slippage. So bad that I changed the clutch.
Slippage came back in less than 200 miles, knew it wasn't the clutch, dumped the Motul and replaced it with Castrol... no slippage since except some light slippage in 5th when I tried Mobil-1 15w50 (synthetic).

Personally, I am sold on M1 V-Twin and Amsoil MCV (both for warm weather)... M1 "Racing-4T" and Amsoil MCF are good winter blends, but they are fully synthetic and not cheap.
I got the API SG and JASO MA off my castrol motorcycle oil container. I didn't recommend diesel oil because I think if it was all that great Shell would go ahead and get it JASO MA certified. Everyone would like to have low cost oil but unless it is recommended by the oil manufacturer for motorcycles(rotella isn't) I wouldn't put it in my bike. Just my opinion, I know a lot of people here like it and have been happy with it.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Naahhh... why would they care about getting a JASO MA certification for a product that is marketed for a huge industry such as the trucking business? The motorcycle market is tiny as compared to that. Besides, can you imagine truckers feeling good about using an oil that says “oh yeah, it works well in your M/C too”? It makes no marketing sense. Just MY opinion. :biggrin:
I got the API SG and JASO MA off my castrol motorcycle oil container. I didn't recommend diesel oil because I think if it was all that great Shell would go ahead and get it JASO MA certified. Everyone would like to have low cost oil but unless it is recommended by the oil manufacturer for motorcycles(rotella isn't) I wouldn't put it in my bike. Just my opinion, I know a lot of people here like it and have been happy with it.

·
recovering workaholic
1,066 Posts
I remember reading on the Rotella forum that Shell acknowledges the fact that a lot of motorcycles have been running their oil.But they aren`t interested in spending the large amounts of money to add the extra letters...they feel that the MC market,where a motorcycle uses 3-4 quarts at a time,compared to the amount of Diesels on the road(and off),using multiple gallons at a time, wouldn`t bring enough profit.They do also acknowledge that the Rotella line is very adequate for motorcycles..
John

·
Behind the 8ball
1,953 Posts
I use the Rotella 15w-40 also. No complaints. On this next oil change I'll be switching to Synthetic.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
In addition to paying for the testing (which agreed would be absorbed over time), they also have to pay a "royalty" for every bottle that is sold that carries either API or JASO markings.
When they might sell, by comparison, 100 units of MC oil for every 100,000 units of automotive, it is actually more cost effective for them to spend the money on separate packaging for an MC-specific product.
They COULD theoretically do this, while putting the same product in both containers. Virgin oil analysis of various Mobil-1 products revealed that the MC blends were nearly identical to some of the automotive blends.

This is an old chart and I don't know how these products compare TODAY, but notice how V-Twin (MC specific) is nearly identical to 15w50 with the exception of slightly higher Phosphorus and Zinc. Also, notice that, though many claim that Moly is the additive that kills clutches, V-Twin actually has MORE Moly than any of the automotive blends, and T-SUV (5w40 Diesel) has none:
http://personal.linkline.com/rlockyer/m1-summary.jpg

Now, things ARE starting to change with the new SM formulations.
There have been isolated reports of slippage with the new Rotella 5w40 synthetic, and I experienced slippage with M1 15w50. 15w50 used to be "RedCap" and then "GoldCap" and has been an old stand-by in the MC world... probably used more than any single brand MC-specific oil in both the dirtbike and streetbike world.

BUT... it won't cause permanent damage to the clutch. Yes, it does soak in. Yes, it flushes out. As long as you don't allow it to slip enough to glaze the plates, simply dumping the oil and changing to something else will recover.

·
'01 1500 Classic FI
1,163 Posts
Now, things ARE starting to change with the new SM formulations.
There have been isolated reports of slippage with the new Rotella 5w40 synthetic, and I experienced slippage with M1 15w50.
I also experienced slippage with M1 15w50 albeit before they changed to the tri-synthetic formula several years ago. That's basically why I've an adversion to all of the synthetics. They also cost quite a bit more.

I personally think that the 15w40 diesel oils are the next best thing to synthetics, but I do change both oil and oil filter every 2,000 miles before the VI goes below acceptable levels thanks to transmission shear.

AFAIC, all of the motorcycle-only dino oils are are more expensive *and* inferior to the dino diesel oils.

·
Praying for sun!
146 Posts
I switched from dino to the Mobil 1 full synthetic about 4k ago in my 05 1500. Made a huge difference in the sounds coming from the motor. Ran the 20w50 this summer and have the 10w40 and longer filter (new pipes) sitting in the garage to change this week.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts