Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Help!!!
I am desperate to get my '94 KE 100 running well. Its a 2-stroke with about 900 miles on it. I am a 23 year old female. this is my first bike and it is in great shape but somethings very wrong..

symptoms:
1. Starts up great
2. After putting it in gear and giving it gas, it looses all power and sounds like it chokes itself (or if the engine does get power, it jerks forward).
3. If I pull in the clutch before it completely dies, it comes back to life and revs up fine with the clutch in.
4. The spark plug is covered in oil

What's wrong?? Anyone got any ideas? Thanks for your thoughts!

KE Kate

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
the_hergen said:

Help!!!
I am desperate to get my '94 KE 100 running well. Its a 2-stroke with about 900 miles on it. I am a 23 year old female. this is my first bike and it is in great shape but somethings very wrong..

symptoms:
1. Starts up great
2. After putting it in gear and giving it gas, it looses all power and sounds like it chokes itself (or if the engine does get power, it jerks forward).
3. If I pull in the clutch before it completely dies, it comes back to life and revs up fine with the clutch in.
4. The spark plug is covered in oil

What's wrong?? Anyone got any ideas? Thanks for your thoughts!

KE Kate
It sounds like it's pouring fuel into the cylinder since you said the plug is covered in oil? Maybe it's not oil but possibly fuel?

If it's oil then you may have problems with rings.

Has anyone worked on the engine before?

Are you the original owner?

Has the bike been sitting for awhile?

It could be the float in the carb thus dumping fuel uncontrolled.

I'm sure others will offer some good points.

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Kate,

Welcome to the forum.....come on down to the Ladies Only forum and post down there!!!!!!
This is the right place to get your problems solved....lots of mechanical experience up here to draw from.

Heather

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
kyhick1 said:
Kate,

Welcome to the forum.....come on down to the Ladies Only forum and post down there!!!!!!
This is the right place to get your problems solved....lots of mechanical experience up here to draw from.

Heather
:shock: :shock: :shock: Ya mean she can't talk to us here? :wink:

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
whistle clean said:
the_hergen said:

It sounds like it's pouring fuel into the cylinder since you said the plug is covered in oil? Maybe it's not oil but possibly fuel? -ill agree it sounds like too much fuel

If it's oil then you may have problems with rings.-its a 2-stroke so its always gonna be a little oily

It could be the float in the carb thus dumping fuel uncontrolled. -i agree, pull the carb and clean it with carb cleaner and compressed air. make sure all the jets are clean and you can see light thru them. make sure you clean every hole you find.

what ratio are you mixing it at or is it oil injected ??? i would try 32:1 and see if it gets better, if its injected then make sure the oil pump is set correctly and not pumping too much fuel

·
Registered
27 Posts
if it starts fine.. and runs fine with the clutch in, but when you let the clutch out , it starts struggeling to run.. maybe you bent the crankshaft?
if it has been sitting for a wile, theirs the possibility of rust on the pistons.. expecially if it was in a damp place,and overtime rings can break.. but its not likely, its a 100cc 2stroke right , a single banger. ok so if you popped off the flyweel casing on the left hand side, turned the flyweel put the bike in neutral first , then shined a flashlight in the sparkplug hole.. if you see little fragments of alunimum, it could be ur rings or it could be piston damage like if it was real hot and you stored it right away, the cylindars would change shape..creating some knocking, or breaking... also if you dident change the old oil, it will become clumps of dirty grossness so that could be it.. ohh and the plunger on your carb for the choke can lock up when its been sitting, the **** things do it all the time.. so maybe it really is choking itself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
duz ur bike have a kickstand sensor? maybe it thinks the kickstand is down still and trys to cut power when u put it in gear.

·
Registered
101 Posts
oregano said:
duz ur bike have a kickstand sensor? maybe it thinks the kickstand is down still and trys to cut power when u put it in gear.
Kickstand sensors never cut power (in this case there should be a valve stopping fuel or air from entering the engine), they simply hinder the coils from generating a spark. In this case, I highly doubt it. Of course, if the bike has a kickstand sensor, wirings (or the switch itself) could ground somewhere for short moments creating a jerky ride.

I'd like the_hergen to tell if it's possible to rev the engine easily when idling. This would eliminate the possible fuel issue along other problems regarding the fuel delivery. If it doesn't allow any revs during idle, ignition timing could be a problem also. What happens when you put the gear on? When you pull the clutch and put the first gear on, does it start to sputter right away or just when you release the clutch? Depending on these, you may have a problem with the clutch or tranny. 900 miles (9000?) on a -94 bike is not enough for keeping it going.

It's very hard to make any suggestions, since people observes different (right or wrong) symptoms which may or may not have to do anything with the problem itself. The problem solver over net is a person who have had a similar bike with a similar problem. A real life mechanic has to feel, hear, see and test ride the bike to find the problem, which might be a simple solution, yet to a normal person hard to imagine... In this case the oily spark plug led to the wrong track, with suggestions that the rings could be toasted. It's a two-stroke... Also, there's no way somebody could bend their crankshaft simply by driving the bike. Fragments of aluminum won't stay inside the combustion chamber either.

A full inspection would be in place. Check everything that needs to be checked. That is EVERYTHING. If not possible for you, bring your dad, brother, friend or anybody who know something about engines.

·
Registered
2 Posts
you guys are killing me,the KE is oil injected.take it to your local kawasaki dealer and have them adjust the pump. you might try fresh gas first.
#1 if the crank was bent it would shake like hell at any rpm.
#2 a kickstand sensor would kill the motor instantly.unless as posted earlier
there was an intermitent short in the wiring.

all thing s being right,an oil soaked plug on this bike can only be caused by three things.running premix when you dont have to.
a mis adjusted oil pump or a right side crankcase leak.
good luck,
redphase

1 - 10 of 10 Posts