Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
well

i've not ridden on all the roads this state has to offer but i do have an opinion of those i have.

Hwy 20, the north cascades highway, The American Alps, is pretty nice. good scenery very diverse riding.

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
Cant say what the best is as i havent seen them all, i do enjoy SR 93 on the way down to Old Man's cave and there are some nice routes down along there

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Haven't ridden all of the roads in Alabama yet, so I am not sure which would be considered THE best. Here are a couple I really enjoy:
1) AL Highway 178 - the Little River Canyon area. There are several overlooks along the scenic drive. The road is paved with winding curves and hills and very little walking is needed to enjoy the views from the scenic overlooks.
2) AL Highway 281 through the Talledega National Forrest to Mt. Cheaha, the highest point in Alabama.

I don't think either compares to many of the scenic routes through northern Georgia,east Tennessee or North Carolina though. There are some absolutely gorgeous rides in them thar hills!! I especially liked the Cherohala Skyway - that is one beautiful ride! :-D The Dragon was just a ride to say "Been there, done that!" - once was enough for me.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I dont know about everybody... but, I and Spok also... enjoy a road that runs...pretty close to our homes...:) I love the coast...101,105 route

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well down in my neck of the woods I love SH73 fromChristchurch, New Zealand to Greymouth, then SH7 from greymouth over the lewis pass to the east coast again and back to Christchurch....a good range of terraind from coastal to alpine passes with heaps of good corners and a few good long straights...I truly live in the best country in the world (imho)

·
Millenium Vulcan Pilot
3,808 Posts
The one leading OUT of the State & Pointing NW. :smile:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Well down in my neck of the woods I love SH73 fromChristchurch, New Zealand to Greymouth, then SH7 from greymouth over the lewis pass to the east coast again and back to Christchurch....a good range of terraind from coastal to alpine passes with heaps of good corners and a few good long straights...I truly live in the best country in the world (imho)
And the one to Australia.:biggrin: Can the last person to leave New Zealand please turn the light off.:p

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Don't know if it is one of the best but it is our most notorious. It is the road down to Victor Harbor(South Coast Town) which has many markers indicating road accidents, red for injuries and black for deaths. This roughly 60 mile strecth of road ahs way to many markers on it and seems to claim some one weekly. Not quite but as I said thats what it seems like and yet it is a beautiful ride.

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
My fav is the Pacific Coast Highway and all the great roads leading off of it.
+1. PCH, aka Highway 1. Pretty tough to get tired of cruising along the coast of the Pacific Ocean (Malibu, Santa Barbara, Carmel, Big Sur and points between). Ocean on one side, mountains on the other. Oh yeah, it sucks! :lol:

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
In Arkansas it's HWY 23 from Ozark to Eureka Springs, 70 miles of twisties and beautful country.

:D
Aif
Would have to agree, wholeheartedly. In adddition, Hwy 7 North from south of Russellville to the Missouri state line offers a very wide range of turns, twisties, vistas and views for just about any rider. (Roughly 130 miles)

·
Riding to Stay Young
343 Posts
While I have not tried it, thousands of riders swear the Leakey, Texas area (northwest corner of the Texas Hill Country) is at the top of the heap. Interesting terrain, long views over huge ranches, not too much traffic. The kicker is a motel in Leakey that will only rent to bikers (you riding it, on it being on the trailer you'r e towing; you can't just be talking about being a rider!); owned by a gal who's a long-time rider. We Texans just love that kind of stuff! There's also a retired lumber yard that has become a fine biker hangout with sandwiches, beverages, accessories, and plenty of room for bikes during shows and rallies.

·
One of Four
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Haven't ridden all of the roads in Alabama yet, so I am not sure which would be considered THE best. Here are a couple I really enjoy:
1) AL Highway 178 - the Little River Canyon area. There are several overlooks along the scenic drive. The road is paved with winding curves and hills and very little walking is needed to enjoy the views from the scenic overlooks.
2) AL Highway 281 through the Talledega National Forrest to Mt. Cheaha, the highest point in Alabama.

I don't think either compares to many of the scenic routes through northern Georgia,east Tennessee or North Carolina though. There are some absolutely gorgeous rides in them thar hills!! I especially liked the Cherohala Skyway - that is one beautiful ride! :-D The Dragon was just a ride to say "Been there, done that!" - once was enough for me.

Cherohala Skyway and the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina are some of my favorites rides. I prefer the slow cruising two lane roads vs. a lot of tight twisties or Interstate riding.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts