Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gimme more twisties
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know of a quick , cheap ( cheaper than having them powdercoated ) way of changing wheel colour ?
If so a detailed "how to" would be most appreciated.
I am close to getting a (new to me) '99 ZX9R but it has purple:eek: wheels.

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
Anybody know of a quick , cheap ( cheaper than having them powdercoated ) way of changing wheel colour ?
If so a detailed "how to" would be most appreciated.
I am close to getting a (new to me) '99 ZX9R but it has purple:eek: wheels.
There are probably lots of cheap ways but none of them will be durable. You can just strip them and paint them and then spray on a urethane clear coat.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Yeah, the cheapest way would be to strip whats on it and spray can on some color and clearcoat.

It won't last very long though. A season or two maybe, although you'll probably see chipping after a few hundred miles.

What's wrong with body color wheels!? :biggrin:

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
Th upside of painting them is you can always repaint them when they start looking ratty.... the downside is they will need repainting on a regular basis.

Here's a couple of items:

1) There are two-part paint mixes that "catalyze" and harden creating a very durable coating. Don't know what they call them these days.

2) Clear urethane: there is a "softening additive" they put into the clear coats for the bumper skins on cars so they can flex without cracking. That would make the clear coat more resistant to chips, but also make it softer.

·
Gimme more twisties
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, the cheapest way would be to strip whats on it and spray can on some color and clearcoat.

It won't last very long though. A season or two maybe, although you'll probably see chipping after a few hundred miles.

What's wrong with body color wheels!? :biggrin:
Nuthin wrong with body colour wheels;)
Just that the body's orange and the wheels are poiple:frown:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
alot off people strip them and polish them.
If you are looking cheap I would just scuff,clean and spray them i have seen a couple people do it in flat black and they held up. just don't use the cheapest spray paint you can find.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
i found at autozone for 5 dollars a can of high performance wheel paint made by dupli-color sprayed my wheels months ago and see to be hold find so far and i wash them all the time. a little sand paper, glass cleaner, and a degreaser, paint and you got yourself a good looking wheel all of that costs you maybe 25 bucks. get that dollar tree glass cleaner and walmart degreaser. itll work . sand the surface, clean with glass cleaner first to remove finger prints, degreaser to get rid of dirt or other chemicals wash with water allow air dry spray . good to go

·
Gimme more twisties
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool.
Thanks for the advice.
If the worst comes to the worst ( I'm not handy at that kinda thing ) then I won't have lost much and I can just get 'em powdercoated anyhoos.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts