Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,679 Posts
My boy was on there when he was 8, just for rides around the neighborhood. He's 9 now, and I'll take him almost anywhere, though I orefer to avoid heavy traffic. My younger boy is 6, and he can't reach the pegs or get a firm grip on me, so it will be a while before he gets on there.
If your wife is really against it, I don't think I'd recommend putting your daughter on the back. One little scratch, and you will never get out of the doghouse. Just not worth the risk. My wife, on the other hand, has no problem with my taking the kid out, so I can ride worry free.

· Registered
1,679 Posts
It's really a matter of common sense, and apparently some people have little to none when it comes to the safety of their kids. I'm not telling him how to live. I really could care less, but the day he wrecks and his daughter is disfigured or killed, I'm sure he won't be on here posting about how it was his right as a parent to allow her on his bike without proper gear. If someone wants to ride without gear, that's their choice. To make that choice for a child who has no say in the matter is just stupid. I get the idea that he thinks its cool for his kids to ride with him and that takes precedence over common sense and safety.
You say you couldn't care less, but then you called him stupid and idiotic, so it sounds like you do care. I wouldn't let my son ride without his gear, but he's mine, so it's my job to make that choice. It's not my job to choose for anyone else's family, nor do I figure it's my right to insult them for making the choice they feel is best. I'm funny that way.

· Registered
1,679 Posts
I'm nowhere near being ready to have a passenger anyway, so I guess I won't have to worry about this until at least mid-summer. Right now I would be too worried about having her (or anyone) on the back until I rack up whole lot of miles on the bike.
No, you don't want anybody with you until you're really comfortable by yourself.
My son is a great passenger, it's my wife that won't stop squirming around back there. Sometimes, I wish I had an ejector seat. :biggrin:

· Registered
1,679 Posts
I'm sure as hell not glad you said it. I'm sick and tired of people sticking their noses in others' business. Nobody here, or anywhere else, should have the right to tell this man how to raise his family. He's explained his thought process, though he certainly didn't have to, so give it a rest.
The fact is, everything we do has a certain element of risk. People die falling down the stairs, walking across the mall parking lot, or in a fog of alcoholism. Kids get killed playing little league. There are full contact football leagues for 5 year olds. Hell, a two year old died around here the other day: a television fell on him. Does that mean everyone with a TV is guilty of child abuse? What should we do? Lock ourselves and our kids in the house where it's safe? Not in my family, that's for **** sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.