Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
The best time to buy is when you can afford it.

Deals come and go like the ebb and flow of the tide, but when the deal and the funds come together at the same time, go for it.

And afterwards don't look back.
There may be a better deal later, but you've already been riding, or you may hold out and get a better deal (or worse, miss the best price and pay more later) but waste valuable time when you could have been riding all the while instead of waiting.

Strike while the iron is hot.

·
Politicians' Nightmare
1,871 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I agree with Tod that the best time to buy is when you can afford it, and with this proviso - deals generally are much better in autumn when in many areas the riding season ends and manufacturers and dealers are trying to shed inventory. It's also model changeover time for many makers, and good deals can be had on the models being replaced. In spring demand picks up as the weather in many areas improves and people want bikes to ride.

You didn't mention in what part of the country you live.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in LA, I have a bike right now but I want a '09 6R (All the bike mags seem to think the 6R is the best 600 class bike). I know bikes are easier to buy when the weather sucks, maybe I should wait until Jan/Feb when it gets colder? LA right now still get 80-90 degree weather.

·
Registered
131 Posts
in LA the best time to buy is when you DON'T need a bike! Take your time before accepting any deal and NEVER buy on your first visit unless they have some insane deal going. Even if they do they will probably try to get you on the set up fees, freight, handling, etc.
It isn't like buying a car, where there are thousands of choices among each model. Most dealerships, even the big one in Covina, will only have one or maybe 2 of each color you want, so they might not last long if there's a sale on any left over 2009's.
Try the last days of the month/year for what is usually the best deal and keep reminding the salesmen that there is a recession on.

You could also try OTD Cyclesports. I almost bought a FZ6R or a Ninja650R with no setup or freight BS but had to back out when I couldn't find insurance that was reasonable on a new bigger bike. Get their price before shopping around, as they don't really deal, they just have a real low price.

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
yup.
the best time to buy a sportsbike is in the winter... when most people who want a sportsbike aren't going to want to ride it.

dealers generally don't get much business during the winter months so might be more willing to offer deals just to get some business.

If you wait til the very end of the year you might get a discount on old 2009 stock as the dealers are going to be wanting to start rolling out the 2010 models.

i just picked up a 2004 model Honda CBR 600RR for a bargain. Now's usually a good time to pick up a lightly used bike... people realising they need extra money over the festive season... realising the weather will be bad so they won't ride... realising they might want a newer model in the new year...
all contribute to them willing to accept a lower sale price from a dealer... who'll then add a little profit, but you can always haggle a dealer down more on a used bike than you can a new bike... plus from a dealer you'll always get it serviced and with a warranty.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Best time I found to buy a new sportbike is about 2 years after it was placed on the showroom floor :lol:

Got my 07 ZX-14 'new' (0 miles) for 8500 in June...including TTL (my dealer doesn't charge any BS setup or docking fees). KBB used value was 8500...Nada used was 7800...so I think I made out pretty well :-D

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
my ZX14 was 10200, but that was new in 2007....

best time to buy is the balance between cash in hand, dealer price, and desire to have it now

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
...but you can always haggle a dealer down more on a used bike than you can a new bike...
Really? I find that just the opposite tends to be true. Dealers around here won't budge on a used bike's price normally. Usually, they took the bike on trade-in, had to put some sort of work into it (be it major or minor), and still have to price it competitively with private sellers.

So they have to get their money back on any service work, the trade-n value, and still hopefully make a minimal profit. Every dealer I know hates selling used bikes. They can't budge much on the price, and usually take a bit of a hit on them, financially.

Just my personal experience though...

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
Best time I found to buy a new sportbike is about 2 years after it was placed on the showroom floor :lol:
Goes for any vehicle! Left-overs are always a good deal. Dealers can't afford to have 2 or 3 year old, new inventory sitting on the lot.

Bought my Meanie as a 3 year left-over. Paid less than $8k OTD for my 03 a few years back. Used ones were selling for more at the time. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Where in LA are you? Call Mid-Cities Honda/Kawasaki and see if they have any 09's left over. I was there about a month ago and saw an 09 10R going for like $8.5k, it was insane. They seriously slash prices about this time of year. The 6R was redesigned for this year and it's been winning all of the shootouts in the magazines so you might have difficulties finding it at a low, low price right now

Also, try Advanced Kawasaki in Buena Park; I got my Z1000 there and they're really good people.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Got my 07 ZX-14 'new' (0 miles) for 8500 in June...including TTL (my dealer doesn't charge any BS setup or docking fees). KBB used value was 8500...Nada used was 7800...so I think I made out pretty well :-D
+1

Got my new 08 ZX-14 in August for 8999 (+TTL). Can't beat leftovers!

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
I'm going 600 class and I definitely want the 09 6R, it seems to be the one to beat in 09.
I wouldn't stick yourself with one bike. Being honest with yourself, do you really think you can maximize the performance of any of those bikes? The writers are really nit-picking when they choose a winner. Case in point:

The Kawasaki handles great but doesn’t have anywhere near the power of the competition, while the Suzuki has the motor needed but it’s big in size and heavy to steer. As for the BMW, well, it’s a great bike that’s plagued by a host of small flaws which add up to a mid-pack machine; but trust me when I say there’s some serious potential in there.

When it comes down to easy-to-use and utterly amazing overall packages, one would be hard pressed to find any flaws with either the Aprilia or Honda. Both are wickedly fast, yet at the same time mild mannered and extremely easy to ride. And as for the Ducati, it’s got a chassis that gives motorheads wet dreams and an engine that jumps off corners with mind boggling tenacity – though takes some mojo to really ride fast.

But when it comes to back-breaking, spleen-scrambling, eyeball-spinning madness there’s no question one bike stands head and shoulders above the rest: ... Yamaha R1.
Sound like a typical review wrapup?

Not quite:

Well, the long and short of it is Infront Sports is bloody mad – and thank goodness! To break it down, they are the rights holder and organizers of World Superbike and have set up an annual test for a select few journalists (less than 20 worldwide) to ride not one, but all seven of the factory World Superbikes the Monday following the final round of the championship. And, you guessed it, MotoUSA was invited.
They're talking about pure bred race bikes ridden by some of the best riders in the world. Even the worst in the group is going to be faster than anything any of us (I'd bet a considerable sum of money on) have ridden.

So shop around...if something else speaks to you more, get that...don't worry about which bike won some shootout in a magazine...or even so much about having brand new (as opposed to leftover or even used). Their opinion won't mean much if you end up with a bike you don't like.

Not trying to turn you away from the 6r, but if money's a factor, widening your search is the way to get the best deal.

Anyway, just my thought process when buying a bike. Good luck.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
the old adage still applies...the best bike is the one you are most proficient with...that being said, you need to see which bike, whether its a 600 or 1000 or 250, fits you the best!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey txspike, Where did you purchase your 2008 ZX-14 from? I live in Houston and I was planning to purchase a 2008 CBR1000RR from a dealership next week for around $7599 + TT&L before I pull the trigger next week I figured I would check on the price of a ZX-14...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey txspike, Where did you purchase your 2008 ZX-14 from? I live in Houston and I was planning to purchase a 2008 CBR1000RR from a dealership next week for around $7599 + TT&L before I pull the trigger next week I figured I would check on the price of a ZX-14...
Check your PM for details; Purchased my '14 from Action Power Sports in Ennis. Kawasaki City in Irving would also be a good place to look.

·
Propensity for velocity
2,222 Posts
If you must have a new 09 ZX6R (and who could really blame you) now probably is as good a time as any to go bargain shopping. Dealers have had a rough year and need to clean out inventory big time. I ride w/ the owner of Maxim Honda in Allen,TX and it hasnt been a pretty year (having to sell CBR1000RR for less than $8K!).
Go to the dealer see if they have what you want. If they do:
1. give them your name and phone number
2. give them your offer on what you want (be specific: 09 ZX6r Green Monster Energy Edition)
3. if they do not accept on the spot leave. they will call you.

also have the money stuff taken care of ahead of time. you're in a much stronger position if you have money on hand. If they have to do the financing they won't cut as good a deal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.